Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Good Builders

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by ralph, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Hi Riders of the net....

looking at potentially building a new house. struggling to find good information on good builders in sydney - so many buidlers at homeworld - but who build better quality homes. So i thought i would write to the net of riders and see if others have built? over the last few years... or know much about who i should look at ??

thanks for any help!!!
  2. let us as netriders, band together to help a fellow netrider in need, and build your house. We will do the token multiple feeder runs to your build location, and pay it forward and build said house, no need for fancy insured builders, trust the netriders.

did you want a straight true square house or a Picasso...??
  3. id say masterton homes is 1 of the best in sydney, few houses on display at wawrick farm, quality work
  4. if there work is as good as your spelling Goz, they must be pretty shoddy :LOL:

warwick farm i think it is :)
  5. Hey, I built my house all by myself...I'd love to help you.

6. lying down typing with left hand :grin:
  7. ahhhh, so you is doing a yoda with the light sabre.....

8. Well that's going to take a lot of beer and I like my payments while I am working.

Does the house need to pass any safety regulations?
  9. Or even their work :p
  10. doh! you beat me to it.
  11. Have a look at Eden Brae homes. I have a couple of friends who went with them and didnt have any problems from start to finish. Masterton is a staple, been around for a very long time but some of their designs are boring lol.

Just depends on what you want. Homeworld in Kellyville is worth going to but try and get there through the week - the weekends are MANIC!
  12. Sirian is that a proper response to a question?

Is that still aloud in OT ?
  13. Well thanks to those that responded.

Edan Brae is one of the builders we are looking at, so thanks for the info.

Poohy, wasnt asking anyone to do any work, just share what they know, as i know buggar all to be honest at this point, and while spending time reading building forums online, thought i would post on here and see if others had good or bad experiences when building.

Went looking again this week, and only got more confused by finding more builders and houses that were pretty damn nice, cosmopolitan had some very nice houses.
  14. ok without knowing anything about your budget, your land (if you have) or your choice of location it's kinda hard for me to help you other than in a broad sense.

I can name drop all over this thread but the last call is always going to be yours so names are only important in the sense of overall reputation. Even Jim Masterton himself is only as good as the last mass urban development he laid out.

I'll make some assumptions first
    1. You have a limit to your budget already set
    2. You have a clue where you're likely to want to be
    3. You know all the basics of extra's and oncosts associated with bricks n mortar. Things like site fee's, environmental on-costs, geotechs or other surveys, and what a builders contract does or doesn't cover.

Those 3 are the easy parts, the next phase is getting a design to almost fit your wish list. This is step 1 in choosing your builder, selecting someone who is flexible to some degree and reasonably priced when doing so. It's rare to get alterations to plans or set designs totally free, even the "cottage" builders let you have some of it gratis and the rest is hip pocket heartache. Neat and tidy dream-sketches are a top idea to take to a builders office, sales staff will be able to do most of the translations here for you. Of course if you've got drawn plans well that scenario is a no-brainer, hand over and let them quote.

Step 2 is the builders last 3 jobs, and in the case of the bigger mass development names you should be fairly well versed as to which suburbs were new developments say 5yrs ago. Revisit these places and see what it looks like now (the buildings that is), how do the tiles look ? How's the facades holding up ? Do the frames of the windows still look good inside the brickwork ? All the asthetic stuff is what you need to research because personally you're not going to have ANY CLUE of what's behind the gyprock until you have to tear it off. It's meant to be to a standard, if it's not it's likely to be hidden for at least 5yrs, if you've been thorough in researching potential builders histories then you're chances of a stress free 5yrs are now greatly improved.

And that leads me to Step 3. I've heard / seen / listened / and shaken my head at 11venty billion stories about clients who mindfvck themselves into jelly over things like gang nail positions and brick ties, or the time that frames have been stood without full bracing, or even what colour the undercoat is on the timber reveals of door frames. Be a good client, listen to your builder and their offers, have a clear picture of what you want to achieve with them but above all be prepared for some sort of compromise along the way. No new build is without a hickup either from the client, the site, or the carpenters. DO NOT BECOME JNR FORUM EDUCATED MASTER BUILDER !!!!! You lot are nothing short of pains in the arse that hold up jobs, you have countless stories of build-nightmares, of disagreements, of battles, but never a story of how you contributed to same. By all means educate yourself in the process but keep that fine line of project management well at the feet of the experts, they do it weekly and you're lucky if you do it 3 times your whole life. You are quite within your rights to want / demand / need to know exactly how every nail and nogging goes together but be fair dinkum ... is it going to make a difference if you only know the major points instead of all the finer ones ?

Oh and the biggest pitfalls clients get themselves to drop into on a regular basis is NOT keeping tabs on authorised extra's. The builder is NOT YOUR ACCOUNTANT ! You said yes to the brass fittings for the extra $150 so why is it you have a coronary when you get the extra's bill and it's on there ? Because all the other "it's only a few extra dollars i'll just get that instead" items are now adding together and whooppee you owe an extra $10K outside of contract.

The finer points you'll get on a building forum, the trade education you can get from NSW governement offices, or you can do the course at TAFE. Hope i've helped