Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Good budget riding gear for a scooter

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by TazFromOz, Nov 24, 2007.

1. Hey folks. I'm looking at buying a scooter, and was wondering what kind of gear I'd need. Obviously not the kevlar stuff the high speed guys need. I'm looking at a 3/4 helmet with visor (to keep the rain off), and a weatherproof jacket at maybe some gloves at this stage.

I'll be wearing my work boots (steelcaps) most of the time, and heavy cotton drill pants. I figure that should be enough protection...? What do you guys think?
  2. Hey, good question.

Answer: Skin loves ashphalt!

seriously, you risk same damage from a bike or scooter, 50 kph is enough to strip off your gear and leave some lovely red raw viewing for an anatomy class.

Get good gear.
  3. As pilot says, come off at low speed and you will soon realise the need for full gear. My wife had a scooter and no way would i let her ride without full protection.

I always put it like this..

Remember when you stacked your pushbike at 15kph ? What a mess hey..
    Well imagine hitting the bitumen at 50kph.. :evil:

So its Draggin Jeans, Gloves, boots, jacket and full face helmet for you.
    There is no amount of money you could save that will cover the cost of fixing the missing skin or broken bones..

Hope we have made some sense here, it is better to be safe then sorry. :grin:
  4. According to many of the riders i see around the place, it's quite OK to wear 2 parts of sweet FA!!!

As mentioned by the sensible folk above, +1

5. Well that'll learn me :]

OK, fair enough. Thing is I don't want to have to change my clothes whenever I go everywhere. Can I get stuff that I can wear over my clothes and then store? What is a good budget brand that still gets the job done?
  6. I know its only a scooter, but seriously, helmet, jacket, gloves, riding pants and riding boots are pretty necessary.

I had an accident at 20km/h, I was wearing my work boots, I have some nice scars, and a limp that will probably never go away.

PS, you don't need leather, a dri-rider jacket is a great every-day user, and they don't need to be washed too often.

PPS, You say you wear steel caps, but they protect the front of your feet, most people fall off their bikes/scoots sideways.

PPPS, with a scoot, you have a large storage area, feel free to grab a pair of loose fit draggins that could go over *some* normal clothing.
  7. [​IMG]

20kph, Thick Jeans..

Get proper gear!!

8. OK, OK

Yep, I'll get the proper gear :]

Now I'm looking for suggestions :]

9. That pic was taken BEFORE the bruises came up!
  10. +1, and +2 to pink.

Why 2? I've lowsided twice, each time I had bad graizes and massive bruising afterwards, and the scars are still there for now. One was at about 15kmh, the other maybe 30kmh.

I understand you dont want to change all the time? Solution:
    - Get kelvars that you can wear every day (eg. just blue jeans kevlars or kelvar cargos for casual. Or you can get black chino kelvar pants for more formal use)

- Get a good helmet - one of those nolan flip up helmets seems to be a good balance. Else, don't complain when your face is mangled

-Buy boots that you can wear everyday - for me this is a pair of $200 middlesizeish boot, more comfortable than work shoes or runners, and they just look like black shoes when you have pants over them.

- Mesh jacket. Comes with layer for wet and warmth, both of which can be taken out for summer (I actually don't use any of the layers all year round, unless I know its going to be cold where I'm going). Mine was 300 RRP

So what do you have to worry about carrying around? If your scooter has space for a helmet and jacket, you don't have to carry around anything extra to get the protection you NEED.
  11. About the closest you'll get to 'normal clothes' that actually are bike gear are the denim jeans and jackets with the kevlar reinforcement.

You could combine those with a set of ankle height riding boots (a few places make those) and look pretty like you aren't wearing bike clothes.

They are a bit hotter than normal denim though, as the denim is thicker and the kevlar adds thickness as well.
  12. look for gear aimed at touring rather than sport. there are good short boots around that look almost normal. the jacket is easy, just get one big enough to go over what you usually wear. for the pants you need to decide whether you want to wear them over your clothes or by themselves.
    look around, there are always specials eg
  13. These?

What do you guys think of these boots? I just bid on them, so hopefully OK :].

PS I just read up on jeans vs kevlar jeans vs leather. I'll try and find it again to post here because it was quite interesting. Kevlar jeans are a lot better than regular jeans as protection (4 times or something) but leather is at least 50 x better than jeans as protection. Which is a pity because I don't want to look like a try hard, but think I should maybe wear leather.

Who's stacked wearing kevlar jeans, how effective were they?

cheers again :]
  14. How about you read our posts :p

I've stacked it with them twice. One on each side. The jeans bit got torn up a bit, but the kelvar was totally intact :)

How much do you value your feet? How much would you pay to not lose skin/lose toes/feet/ankles? I know I'd pay more than $30. They certainly don't look specifically designed for bikes in any way..
  15. You didn't say you were wearing kevlar jeans when you got those injuries phizog. =S If that's what your injuries were wearing them, then I don't think Kevlar really is up to the job, I know I don't want scars.

Having the Kevlar intact isn't really the point. It's my knees and legs (and the rest of my body) that I want to keep together :].
  16. The kelvar stayed there, protecting me till the end as it didn't just shred like the jeans.

The damage was just some grazing, later turned into a bit of a sore bruise, took a few weeks for it to go 90% away, its in the process of fading out (it will totally fade in several months).

And thats with sliding on the kelvar, if I was wearing normal jeans then my knee would have been grinding directly on the road, rather than through the kelvar.

Leather is much better. But seriously, who's prepared to wear leather pants as every day protection in summer? Not going to happen! Weekend jaunts up riding roads, fine, deal with it. But commuting in stop and start madly hot traffic? No way.

If you're going to be using your scoot for day to day things, the most important thing is to get protection that you will wear every time you go out.

The most practical things:
    - Mesh jacket with removable layers
    - Comfortable riding boots that you can ride everyday
    - Well ventilated gloves
    - Helmet
  17. Ah, I see. Kevlar denim might be a goer then. Draggin seem to be a good brand. Anyone hear of a brand called red wolf? Just read a goond article comparing a couple of brands - Sliders look like they might be pretty good too.
  18. Hi Tamsyn,

I've never heard of Red Wolf in my life.

Draggins is a good brand, but style wise they're quite conservative (read: boring/80's). Get the khaki/chino ones, they're much better IMHO.

Alternatively, another good brand is Hornee jeans - their female jeans are very stylish and would not look anything less than the ones you find at General Pants Co. The downside is, they're hard to find! As a reference, kevlar jeans normally cost around $180-$230.

The basic rule of getting riding gears is: how much do you value your skin? Or better, how much do you value your body? There's a great sticky on the New Riders section saying that you should first budget for the gears, THEN whatever you got left can go to your bike.

Riding gears are not things you want to be skimping on, or get cheap brands on. Get good gears from reputable brands, do your research, and stay safe on your scooter.

Hopefully in the future you'll even want to upgrade to a bike! :)
  19. Just bought this jacket:

Because it's coming into summer and the Joe Rockets are meant to be one of the better mesh Jackets around. Nice and cool, but still quite protective. Now all I need are some:
    - Kevlar jeans (or possibly meshed overpants, but I haven't found any I like the look of yet),
    - Full face helmet (which I'll probably get new)
    - Decent boots (rigid ankle protection at the least, yeah? No exposed lacings)

The boots will probably be the hardest to get. Mens sizes don't fit me (unless I can get a size 5 or small 6) and I've yet to see a smaller touring boot in women's - bah!

Love the look of these:

I think something like that'd do the job while still being comfy. Just as well I'm in no hurry and can afford to look around.
  20. It always amazes me when people think you don't need as much protection on a scooter as a bike :? . Smacking into a car or sliding along the road is the same. If you like your skin, get abraision resistance. If you like your joints and bones, get armour for impact resistance.

The jacket looks good. I have a similar one for the really hot days. It's not as good as other protection, but it's a lot better than standard clothing, and there's no point overheating and passing out just to wear the heavier gear.

Please get a new helmet. Not all damage is visible. You never know the structural integrity of a 2nd hand one.