Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Good bike for a REALLY tall learner??

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by saeraph, Feb 8, 2005.

1. Can anyone recommend some good bikes for a 6'7" tall learner? He's never ridden before bar a couple of short spins on my zzr250, and finds it very uncomfortable and awkward to sit on for any length of time.

I know the old adage of "Sit on lots of bikes and pick the comfiest" but that's not really useful since the problems aren't going to show up in 30 seconds sitting on the different bikes, it'll be after half an hour or longer.

Any suggestions from the taller folk out there? 250's are preferable due to his total inexperience, but I htink he'll get his open licence so bigger bikes ok.

Thanks heaps. -s.

2. hyosung aquillia (cruiser)

3. Honda Hornet as it's based on the 600 version, either that or hunt down a trails-bike (SuperMotard style). Come to think of it a DT230 with some road-tyres would fit the bill.

4. a dirtbike would probably be the comfiest, but if thats not his style, then a few of the naked sports are good. the hyosung comet is QUITE large, about the biggest one i think. i had a bandit with a raised rear end that would have been fine and yer, i think the hornet is the other larger one. (all of these have 400/600 versions that use the same frame)

but sitting on them is still a good idea, he'll still get a decent idea of what will be comfy by trying them on for size....

5. I'd suggest the Hyosilveraway GT650L but then I noticed you are in Brisbane and not NSW.

Otherwise a trail bike would be good with some road tyres.

6. Ok, I am not 6'7, but I had a similar problem. I sat on heaps of bikes and found the most comfortable to be the Suzuki Bandit, Across and Hyosung Comet. I wasn't overly keen on the Comet's feet position though - felt a bit weird, but thats a personal preference. The Comet was also out of my price bracket as it is still a new bike. I ended up with the Across basically because a good deal came up and I took it. I find it quite comfortable, but look a little big on it. The Across has a more upright seating position compared to the other sports bikes hence the comfort. It also depends on your body type, I have a long torso, so the leg positioning wasnt too bad on most bikes, but I felt like Quasi Modo on alot of bikes.

Does Queensland work on the LAMs system? If so, there are heaps of bigger bikes that can be looked at as well.

My 2c.

7. I'm 6'5, and I can tell you this for free - not much will be comfortable for any decent length of time. Try a V25 which is kitted more like the big cruisers and will give you more legroom. Alternatively, have some highway pegs fitted to whatever you get so you can change your leg positions.

To those who say the Across is good for a tall person - I perched on a couple, and my legs sit above the cutaways, making it EXTREMELY uncomfortable. Maybe its just me, but I wouldn't say my height is solely in my legs.

I'd recommend to keep a fairly upright seating position as opposed to the forward lean, as it will be easier on your back if you're tall. You can always get a raiser for the handlebars to shift the seating position a bit.

8. You might want to try a VTR250. I'm just on 6' and that had quite a high, upright, riding position. I also sat on a few trail bikes, the SL230 from Honda was quite good but you do have to bend your legs up a little higher due to the position of the footpegs which gives rise to the overall higher ground clearance.

9. Jimi? Most people aren't 6'7". You could always get a motorcycle so you don't feel so bad about it - that's what I did :shock: :D

Thanks for recommendations, I'll drag him out to a few places and look at these bikes.

Cheers. -s.

10. I am 6'5 (almosy 6'6) and rode Knightriders VTR - way to small for me.

Personal Opinion.

11. ummmm, maybe a Penny Farthing with a motor added?

Apart from the "LAM" models (unsure about Q'land) there really isn't much around for the taller rider in the 250cc range, except the who-flungs. (Hyosung) I read that the 250 comet was built as a dual 250/650 frame, but then only produced as a 250, it's actually a few mm longer than the 650. not sure about height tho.

If Qld don't recognise the LAM system, could he get an exemption from a 250 based on his height, and ask to be able to use an NSW LAM model?
    He'd have a chance under discrimination rules if it's worded right.

I'd like to see a cage driver cut him off, then watch as he "unfolds" himself from the bike as the argument heats up.... what a hoot!

Best of luck.
    JJ

12. iffracem, we've got a system called QRide up here, where if you have had your car licence for 3 years, you can do a course and get your open licence - I think because it assumes that you would know all about traffic rules and be road-savvy, because I can't think of any other reason to give a TOTALLY INEXPERIENCED RIDER the ability to ride (read: kill themselves on :x ) a litre bike. Still, it would be fun, for a while :twisted:

Of course *I* could never take advantage of this, since cars are for woosies, and I didn't get my car licence till well after my bike one. Sorry: end rant.

Point is, Skyboy (the tall person - heh, I just got that :LOL: ) could get his open licence and technically ride a 'busa, BUT doesn't think it's a good idea since he knows that he doesn't have the skill to ride a big bike. So, with a healthy respect for his own skin, he's looking at 250's and maybe mid-size bikes, that would suit his frame until he has skilled up.

Man I'm chatty today. -s.

13. if he's got the option, then an older mid sized bike would work a treat :D some of the bikes from the early 80s were PLENTY big with comfy positions and would be great for a bloke his size. they arent all that quick, so learning on them wouldn't be a problem. i'd say my dads 81 XJ750 has about the same sort of acceration, possibly even LESS than my girlfriends 95 XJR400 and i doubt the tops speed would be all too different.

starting on a 250 is a great way to ensure you learn faster and easier but i think that a guy that big would find himself just not enjoying himself on most of them.

he'll save a bit of money by getting an older bike too, you get a fair bit of bike for much less with them.

14. Honda Dominator/ BMW F650/ Aprilia Pegaso/ Suzuki DL- 650...all easy to ride, the singles even easier due to their marginally lower weight/ CoG.
    Perfect learner bikes for someone that tall.

15. Sorry for the big quote, but it don't make sense if I shorten it.

Thumbs up to skyboy, he's doing the right thing there.
    I reckon a good "classic" would be the go, older beemer R70/80 etc, earlier yammy xj series etc. or the Whoflung 650L

or the brand spanking new royal enfield 65 !!! smmmooooth! (but unassisted drum brakes, not so smooth!

In tas, even tho I'm 44, been driving since 17, had bike license 20+ years ago, I still have to do the pre-learners, 250cc restriction, pre-P's Then ask for P restriction exemption. But it's worth it to be safe, just wish they had LAM approved bikes.

JJ

16. Qride system:
    To get your RE license: Hold your learner RE license, and have a car license
    To get your R License: Hold an RE license (learner or not), and have a car license for at least 3 years in the past 5 OR hold a RE provisional for 1 year. Or go into the transport depot friday arvo at 5 with your RE receipt, and walk out with your R license like me :p

Coursework:
    The QRide course is a one day course (some places offer to split it up over 2 days) which tests both on road and controlled environment riding and shows a safety video or two. Marking is competency based, so long as you show that you are competant once, then you will get a tick for the criteria.

Controlled environment tests:
    -Basic motorbike care (check oil, tyre pressure, etc)
    -Slalom (spaced at 1.6m i think)
    -Slow Riding (10m in 11 seconds or more, i got 24, no feet down.)
    -figure 8's (cant remember diameter, but equivalent to a U-turn on a street)
    -emergency braking from 40-50km/h (you are riding until the instructor puts up his hand and you need to stop within 20m)
    -emergency swerving at 40-50km/h (from centre line on a road, to just before the side line and back in within several metres with no braking, instructor stands in the middle and indicates which way)
    -counter steering (swerve erratically)

Road testing involves safety on the road, parking, lane positioning, etc.

The test is virtually impossible to fail if you have ridden a motorbike for longer then 30 minutes, as if you can't do something, they will keep you there long enough so you can do it. The only way to fail really is to break the road rules when your on the road.

BTW to get your learners here its a 5 MCQ exam :p

17. Enfields are small... and light and fun and cool, but definetly not tall.

Anyway, any early 80's air-cooled mid size bike will be a huge comfy bus, with only moderate power.

I'm 6' even, and my GS650 Katana is almost too big for me.

I personally recommend a Honda CB400n. Big, very comfy, cheap.

18. Try a Honda Hornet as i think they are a rather large bike for a 250.. have a look on Bikepoint.com.au or bikesales.com.au and you will find a few for sale i'm sure. I had to help a mate look some time ago and he went for a VTR cos of looks but i'm sure the Hornet was a bit bigger. They are grey imports i think but given the usual reliablity of Honda's i wouldn't be to worried presonally.
    Z

EDIT - whoops sorry just read that Novacoder already said that. +1 on his comments.