Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Good/bad newbies bike: '87 Yamaha TZR-250?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by VapourLock, Aug 8, 2006.

1. Definitely!

2. Yes

0 vote(s)
  3. Maybe

4. No

0 vote(s)
  5. Fark No!

0 vote(s)

2. It's an ok bike for a learner of your age, you'd want it running sweet though, so this particular example might be one to pass by.

What's the bizzo with "as far as we are aware requires indicators to meet Aus standards"? Don't buy it if it's never been registered here before if you don't want to spend more than $500 after initial purchase.

"As far as we are aware requires jets" sounds a bit sus too, could have a few different bits fuxored on it and you wouldn't know if it's not running because of the "jets".
  3. It really depends on whether you are mechanically adept or not..if you not your going to have to pay big $$$ to have somebody do the work for you...being that it's an older 2 stroke you may have to factor in a top end rebuild. Then as mentioned you have rego, plates, etc...I would only go ahead if you know exactly what needs to be done to get it to a roadworthy and registerable condition...get a pre purchase inspection done and base your decision on that. Unfortunately 1k doesn't buy you much of a bike these days...you may be better off waiting and saving some more :)
  4. Lucky you're in Victoria, VL, in NSW the TZR is on the 'no-go' list :grin:

I agree with the others, though, the indicators deal sounds like it's a grey (at least) import, and it may not be able to be registered here, no matter how much you are prepared to spend on it.

And unless you weigh about 3 stone dripping wet, forget the Honda 150, (not to mention they have a dreadful reputation for unreliability)
  5. As someone who has been burned buying a bike that needs some work, I'd advise staying away from that TZR, not because it's a TZR but because it has so much potential to turn into a money pit that just keeps sucking your cash for a long time and you never get to ride and take a massive loss on to get rid of... Better to keep saving for another couple of months and have 2.5k or so for a bike (in addition to your helmet/gloves/jacket etc budget) and get something that's running and reliable, IMO.
  6. I've had a couple of 2 strokes and in my opinion there not the best bike in traffic unless there tuned perfectly or you've had some experiance on bikes in traffic , basically they can be a biatch of a thing because they like ( need ) to be up in the rev range to be happy , but as a track or weekend bike for the twisties there a heap of fun until you get sick of the noise
  7. It used to be said that there are three sorts of computers:

What you'd buy for yourself,

What you'd recommend to a friend

What you'd recommend to your boss.

In other words - something you can work on and sort out problems yourself.
    Something that you don't mind helping with but built to a price.
    something that's totally reliable that you shouldn't ever need to touch.

Same applies to bikes.

This sounds like the first type that I'd happily buy myself - not as my only bike though; but then I like twostrokes and I've worked on them (they are much easier for a crap mechanic like me - lots fewer moving parts and no valves or timing or...) :LOL:

In your case - keep away. The indicators bit sounds suss and you'd need to make sure it has been registered in Australia as it's very difficult for an individual to get a compliance plate if it hasn't. The carbies may or may not be a problem - at worst you may find another set at a wrecker somewhere.

The issue is that this will be your only bike and you need to be able to trust it. Especially as a learner you don't want it stalling in traffic or losing power or fouling plugs at an inopportune moment. Two strokes are fine in traffic IF you ride them properly and if they are in a good state of tune but I wouldn't recommend them for daily commuting.

On the plus side - it'll be sh1tloads of fun if is running well. :LOL:

8. the nsr 150 wasn't built in japan like the 250 it was built in taiwan ( I think ) but honestly you should probably just grab a cheap 4 stroke 250 as a first bike you'll have fun on it but on a 2 stroke you'll want to rev it a lot more because there more fun when they are in powerband so your license won't last long or worse ( example coming up to a corner still accelerating or blipping the throttle and finding band and entering the corner too fast )
  9. Gday VapourLock.
    Well i hear the tzr is a pretty good bike, But the one ur looking at is what 19yrs old. That could result in alot repairs etc.
    2strokers require maintaince, thats a pain after a while.
    Also they really suck on petrol, plus u gotta buy oil.
    If you havent ridden alot before, the stroker will take longer to get used to compared to 4strokers. yeah can be pretty dangerous if ur in powerband while going around corners.
    Overall, i love my 2stroke. They outrun any other 250. powerband is fun.
    Good luck
  10. If you want something to play around with I have a ZXR250A with a blown engine... if you want it I'll let it go cheep..