Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Good areas on working on turning into corners (melb)

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Tim^, Jan 31, 2007.

1. ok .. I'm a noob (at 40) .. whats some good spots we can work on before moving up to the stuff like the GOR .. I am patient ..an in no real hurry .. and hope to be join yr group rides soon ...

2. Collins Street at 60KMph :)
  3. You gotta find a place to tootle around at your own pace.

The Dandenongs are just down Canterbury rd from you, and could be justfified in thinking the commute to the tourist rd is also practice for mixing it with cars.

Sunday mornings are ok, and the speed limits are so low, that you won't be out of your depth.

But beware that there are many cafes and lunch spots along that road, and tourists tend to just jam on the anchors when they have overshot the entry to a car park. Very little gravel across the road, damp dries out quickly, no big potholes, and beware of bicyclists. It is quite disconcerting when they are doing 80-kmh DOWN the hill, and you aren't! They take up a lot of road.

There are further loops that can be added, you will find yourself at Lilydale, monbulk, olinda, and berwick before long. You cant get lost!.

I returned to bikes after a layoff, and found myself last week riding in the rain, at about double the speeds I was doing only 2 months before in the dry.

Good luck!
  4. Good tip +1 :grin:

5. I love the backroads around Mooraduc but when I lived in Ringwood the road from Ringwood to Kangaroo Ground via Warrandyte was a beauty! Watch out for roos :shock:
  6. Yeah +1 for ringwood to warrandyte to kangaroo ground to sugarloaf reservoir. from there it's either double back to eltham to greensborough or head on out to yarraglen to healesville.

Give me a yell if you want to do a slow paced intro run to sugarloaf. Stookie took me out that way in my first week of riding and I have ventured out there for more and more and more... made it as far as eildon and lake mountain so far.