Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Good anti-theft gear?

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by Smokae, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Hey everyone,

I recently picked up a 2010 GSXR600. Thing is she screams out "steal me" because of the unique look she has. I also want to invest a bit more in the way of crash knobs and a computer but before doing so I want to buy some reputable, reliable security gear.

I've considered GPS trackers - because I like the idea of 'justice' after tracking down a thief, but all the distributors seem to barely know their products and those that do charge the earth for the system ($500+) and then subscription fees thereafter.

I've looked at disc locks - can these be cut through? I'd like an alarm based one, loud as all hell. Does anyone have a brand they can recommend?

Thanks for your help!

2. I've got one of the Xena alarmed disk locks. The alarm is mainly to remind me not to ride off with the thing still on though. I don't think any of the main disklocks are going to be easy to cut through "on location" by your thief, but they would probably just stick the wheel up on a skateboard and wheel it away, to chop the lock off later. The alarm on the Xena is ok, but it isn't "as loud as hell".

If they really want your bike, its gone dude.

3. Hence why I want to invest in a GPS.

Something I saw recently was a bloke chaining his wheel to a nearby post. Would certainly slow someone down but that is incredibly inconvenient and impossible to transport on a GSXR600 without my panniers!

4. chains and disc locks don't stop people trying their luck and will annoy you always having to put on and off (trust me i've experienced all of this)

get full comp insurance & get a paging alarm. sleep with a baseball bat in case you get paged.

Scorpio (premium) or Voyager (budget)

5. Or just if you love baseball bats...

6. Heh funny guys, cheers.

7. Put the disc lock on the rear wheel so it can't be kicked into neutral with a skateboard under the front. You can't stop 'em, only slow 'em down and make 'em work for it.

8. That is a great idea Finn! I was never going to think of that. I see everyone with it on their front...awesome!

9. i got two disc locks for my bike the other one being alarmed, They'll have to carry it if they want it

10. Yeah, mine always goes on the back... but that's why the alarm is important to remind me it's there, lot harder to see it.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Yeah, I see a lot on the front. I guess it's better than nothing.

12. RoadLok makes a great locking system, although IDK if they make one for the GSXR600. Ultimately, if someone really wants to steal your bike, it's going to get stolen.

13. Nobby's Rule of Anti theft

1. Insure it.

2. Take the keys out of the ignition.

3. (and this is important) Always park next to a more desirable ride..

14. Hey mate for bike sercurity I use the rlink alarm. A little pricy but has everything gps perimeter sensor, communication to smart phones etc. check out my netrider review or pm me.

15. skip step one (im under 21, on apprentice wages riding a vtr250, 1k to insure a 3k bike with another 1.5k in excess is stupid - ill stick with 3rd party, till i get the next bike) and thats my anti theft, the other thing is dont park in plain sight, at home i park it behind a car or down the side of the house. where it isnt obvious from the street. if you have to park in plain sight, park near an entrace or where there are people who will constantly see it. under a security camera also works (for at work)

16. Unfortunately if someone wants it and can get close without anyone watching then its not enough.

a pair of gojacks and your bike is gone.

two disc locks and chained to some concrete will slow them down, but they scope you out one night and come back prepared.

Unfortunately i've had one bike stolen, its replacement damaged twice and my latest damaged 3-4 times.

Seriously, i've had so many claims they all blend and its hard to keep count.

The bike transporter was getting surprised at how many times he'd picked up my bikes.

now its difficult to get cheap insurance cos of all my 'at fault' :furious: claims.

disc lock or chained to concrete floor didn't stop em trying.

now I have a Voyager 5000 set to really obnoxious and they've not touched it since (but have tried others that were normally passed over for mine previously)

17. For the new bike, i have insurance
    i have a big thick ass chain that ill use when i need to...(haven't yet), and i just recently bought an alarm as an extra deterrent its ****ing loud.. 125db, also when parking at a shopping centre.. on the footpath in front of everyone so its always in plain sight, under a camera. lock the steering.

but as everyones said if its going to be stolen its going to be stolen.. theres not much you can do, just put in some extra security features, insure it and hope for the best.

18. what type of alarm did you get for it ?

19. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Motorcyc...orcycle_Parts_Accessories&hash=item25682c0108

just this one off ebay.. its really loud easy to install and it takes up no space where i put it, bought it last thursday and it arrived today.
    you just need to buy a couple of fuses and i bought some electrical tape to tape down the wires.. and then hid the other ones.

20. small price to pay for what looks like an ok deterrent. Be internested to see how it works out once it is all rigged up.