Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Good advice for new riders

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by raven, Apr 25, 2010.

1. It's hard to come by....
    As a new rider, you need to disseminate the BS from the truth, and then practice it relentlessly. A good way to start is by reading the NOOB 101 Cornering Basics thread stickied at the top of this page, where solid and sound advice is laid out in easily understood form, by an experienced rider.

If you're new to biking - READ IT!...or you're a fool, who'll be seeing the inside of the emergency ward from the bad side - complete with the mind-numbing PAIN!.

Do yourself a favor...

2. I am a new rider and member to netrider and having lessons with an instructor at the moment. Just did heaps of cornering and my instructor had taught me the exact same thing as mentioned on NOOB 101 Cornering Basics.
    It is very good to have those things in your mind reminding you of what you need to do to ride through a corner smoothly. Very important post.
    I find if I keep having the the steps in my mind I can corner very easily and smoothly. It is a great feeling to absolutely own the corners, especially for the first time a few days ago! :D

3. How true is that? I love the bigest BS spouted by bikers..usually after a few frosty cold ones...." my mate had to lay her down to avoid a prang "...yeah right, every rider has the skills to lock the rear wheel and bring it round to gracefully allow the bike to drop in a controlled manner..yup we were all born with it..that's why we ride right?
    So what you are saying is your mate had to trash his bike to avoid trashing his bike?..Suuuuure he did...coz metal and plastic sliding on the road is so much more effective at slowing the bike than good rubber on bitumen is.

I have heard this one so many times but have never met 'the guy who laid his bike down to avoid a crash'.
    Once you have read the cornering 101 ,read the 50 ways to stay alive and read though some of the best riding tips..in the forums here.

4. i did once...... with a pushbike! Let go of the pushie and i stopped before the car, it went under the wheels. Given this was at bugger all speeds, I cannot vision it being the same on a motorbike. There's a lot more mass to keep you under the bike!