Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Gone with the wind

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by RacingAce, Sep 2, 2014.

1. hi my name is miah, Im 36, a personal trainer and go to uni full time doing Law. i have just started riding and have been on my Ls for two weeks. From the very first ride, I'm now hooked. Seriously, if I dont ride for a day, I cant believe how much it affects my mood. I go really flat. Riding has changed my life in only 2 weeks so I wont go on about it too much but I love it and cant live without it.

Ok I would like to say that I'm picking it up pretty quick as used to ride racehorses, different i know but ive got some guts and have already dropped the bike with it on top of me outside the hospital whilst visiting a sick relative. The bike was even on and pride was all that suffered.

Question: Today it's really windy, I mean really blowy. I went on the freeway to do some practice and I thought I was going tip over in the wind. My helmet was being blown and i could feel the bike being swept towards off the road. Phew it didnt but i was actually a nit scared.

How should you deal with high winds if you find yourself in it and what is the best riding style if you find you are at 100-110 km per hour?

I have a 250cc hyosung to practice on and I am 5'6 and 65kg.

Also whilst turning around in a court to do a U turn the bike slowed down to a point I had to put my foot down on the ground but then the weight of the bike pushed on me and i dropped it again. It didnt go down hard as I was trying to break its fall by hanging on but what is the best way for me to practice doing tight turns/u-turns. I know that I may not have been in 1st gear but in 2nd so keeping an eye on that.

Thanks heaps

2. Now the serious stuff.
    Tight, slow speed u-turns: Higher revs, clutch control and rear brake. You'd be surprised just how slowly you can ride and balance using this method.

The windy motorway thing - there's nothing of you, you need to put on 30 kg's or so.

Have a look for your nearest Netrider learner training group, it'll be well worth the training/effort attending.
  3. [​IMG]
    • Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Hello and welcome Miah, that's Uncle Greg's way of saying "Hi" :)
  5. Ok, in deference to our good moderator we'll get back on track.

My personal advice on riding in wind is to relax. When your body is rigid it transmits any unwanted movement directly to the bike and it will respond, the result being that it will feel like the bike is squirming all over the place. Wind gusts will blow you all over the place and you'll get very tired very fast. If you stay loose your body soaks up a lot of the unwanted movement, so instead of feeding back into the bike and making things worse it will be damped. Part of staying loose is to let the bike move around a bit. Obviously you want to stay in charge, but if you take a more relaxed hand you won't be making things worse.
    As regards the low speed control, when you do the pre-learners they teach you to give it a few revs, slip the clutch and drag the back brake as someone else has already mentioned. It works.

Also, learning to roll when you fall rather than falling flat on out-stretched arms isn't a bad skill to have. Don't practice this when riding, however. That would be a bad thing.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Hello Miah,

I am new to riding as well so not exactly knowledgeable. When I first got my bike I rode from Albury to Melbourne and experienced heavy winds. For me I hunkered right down on the bike and let the wind, to a certain extent, move me around. I felt fighting it proved counter productive. Something I have noticed on a bike is how big the lane seems. Oh and I slowed the hell down. Dropped it to around 90k.

I'm sure a few of the experienced guys can give you much better advice.

7. welcome, Miah, it's common that hyosungs are not the best bikes to do the P test on as its a large bike and near impossible to do u-turns, thats if the engine survives the big boom :D
  8. I'm a noob too so won't offer advice. I was out on a half day ride today and it was windy (40 knots or so), and I found it a tad scary too. I want to throw in a supplementary issue/question for the experts here.

Part of today's ride was on a highway near the coast, so I was getting a steady stiff sea breeze from my right side. That was easy to deal with because it was predictable -- I just applied a tiny bit of countersteering to lean very slightly into the wind. The only thing to watch here is trucks passing which change everything, but at least you know they're coming (yes, alright, I do get passed by trucks).

But another section was through the hills, and the wind was gusting all over the place. Particularly offputting when you get a blast on a corner, suddenly widening or tightening your line. I basically did what @Dark Angel@Dark Angel suggested above: consciously relaxed and just held my lines loosely. I also slowed down quite a bit. But is there anything else to do in this situation?
  9. go faster the faster u go the less wind will affect u cheers bazz
  10. Welcome.

Dark Angel has covered most of it.

In the wind, the key things to keep relaxed are your arms (wrists / elbows / shoulders) so that any body movement isn't immediately transmitted into steering inputs. The bike will be pushed around - gently correct in the opposite direction. If the wind is predominantly in one direction, try to bias the bike "upwind" in your lane so that you're not accidentally blown out of the lane. Slowing down gives you time to respond to wind inputs too.

Dark Angel also covered slow speed work a treat. I'll just clarify that "give it a few revs" means to dial up and maintain a higher than normal RPM's, then slip the clutch and use rear brake to both provide a stabalising load and be the speed control. When riding in a tight curve at low speed, it helps if you push the bike down towards the inside of the turn while you remain upright or lean the upper body to the outside of the turn and TURN YOUR HEAD! Look where you want to go... so that means do not look down, cause that's where's you'll go!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Yeah ... going faster ... that would not be consistent with my experience.

I'd suggest space management would become more immediately important. By that I mean allowing yourself extra room in case the wind pushes you in the worst possible direction on any given corner. Which side that is will depend on the corner and hazards present. Slowing down to give yourself more time to react to sudden wind changes before you get pushed either off the edge or into oncoming traffic would be wise.

Those PD riders are amazing how they control their bikes!
  12. Dark Angel would be referring to Bazz's post not Robs it's safe to say.
  13. Yes. Absolutely.

Rob beat me to the 'post' button as I was trying to be careful how I explained things.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. well its true most people on bikes when hit with a strong side wind slow down the faster u go the easier it ,comming from tassie and ridding bike for 40+ years u do learn something bazz
  15. Don't forget we are talking about very new riders here Bazz. Going faster may not be the best advice under the circumstances without the rest of it.
  16. Welcome to netrider.

Which state are you in?

Regardless you should come to Sat practice in St Kilda.
    Plenty of friendly folk who are interested in helping you develop.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. sorry i forgot that , so lay flat as possible as loose as possible then go flat out , please dont take offence cheers bazz
  18. Yep, all covered.

Stay loose.
  19. Welcome RacingAce (y)

• Funny Funny x 1