Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

gold to bowen pragnastys totally bodacious adventure

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' started by pragnasty, Nov 17, 2005.

1. gday guys and gals

got a mates b'day coming up over december weekend up in bowen
    so being the silly bugger and stubborn adventurous downright dinky di individual i am.......

ive decided to ride up there.... i think its roughly 2500 kms return :eek:
    im planning to do it over a coupla days... 3days up 3 days return...
    dont plan to do much more than 8hrs a day in the saddle.

ive already done a bit of long distance touring, out tenterfield way and back.. and i really like camping and the such... i can manage to pack away all my gear in a duffle bag and a large tank bag( this one is about the size of your standard wheelbarrow (9cuF) lol.

my plan is to camp my way up, stop at 1770 etc any place of interest really in no rush at all :D :)

have already found out the dangers of long distance touring already.. as in dehydration, exhaustion etc... and those bloody flys that build up layer upon layer on your visor (cept when i had my 4ft high polycarbonate windshield... the style police soon pulled me over for that effort. :oops: )

im used to long periods of boredom on the bike.. although i can sing a pretty good rendition of "born to be wild" which keeps me entertained for a coopla hours. reading the newspaper wasnt so successful at 100kms/hr. neither was my tamagotchi..damn level 23 as well.

so for someone thats a bit of a novice at LONg distance touring any tips you guys can educate me with/?

im packing clean underwear... playboy and pollywaffles

so far... :D
  2. how about an mp3 player or radio?

BTW, born to be wild was my song of choice when I got my first bike too.
  3. Prags, you're as mad as a cut snake! Wish I could come with you, we could have a Hornet invasion!

If you've got time, get one of these

I've got one on my Hornet, you wouldn't believe how easy it makes touring, just takes the wind off your chest.

Anyhoo, take the camera and send us lots of pics of FNQ
  4. ive got one already..... but my hjc helmet lets in waaaaay to much wind noise and i have to bust up the beats even more so.. ruining my hearing... and i cant find that darn skip button when wham comes on... its a bit embarrasing dancing to jitterbug when your near bikies... they just dont understand :oops: :LOL:

yeah i reckon ill just get some ear plugs and do without my complete collection of snatch and the poontangs. 8)
  5. hahahhahahaa hornet if only you knew!!!!

i ve got a 1m high sheet of polycarb sitting in my shed...lol... i shaped it to fit to my bike but... makes the bike look like a... a ....its just not COOL!! :LOL:

soo much easier to tour with though ..

but style beats funtionality..... :p
    thats the thrill of riding naked anyway.... the wind billowing through my mullet... its a beautiful thing...
    ive just made up a bodge one just high enough (400mm) to clear my tankbag,, and put a kick on it to deflect some wind..,.. :)
  6. well only a week to go and a lot of thought has gone into my ride...

i plan to take a veryyyyy cruisy ride up (about 3-4 days )
    and a quick return trip back 2 days (Hopefully!!!)

i have learned already that when youre touring you just gotta cruuuuuiiize :wink:

so no boy racer/ghostrider wannabe riding on my trip :p
    (thats half the fun)
    but ill be loaded up with gear and dont plan on having another stack for a while... :?

im still learning how to pack my bike as per centre of gravity ..
    i tend to load my bike more top heavy, because i dont like any luggage protruding and farther than the handlebars.(for lanesplitting)
    definelty looking at a set of saddlebags in the future, but cant afford them for this trip.
    so ill be hanging out all over the bike on any sweepers trying to keep upright :shock:

my basic itenary so far:

day 1:leaving gold coast, straight north.. no stopping for much sightseeing till i get to bundaberg where ill be stopping at the distiilery for some bundaberg black rum.....mmmmmm......rummm...............
    and royal liquer ...mmmmmm..mmmmmmmm
    from there i plan to head up north a few 100kms more too seventeen seventy for camping.

day 2: bustard bay to shoalwater bay military area or near..

day 3: onwards to airlie beach.. party and p!ss up

day 4: bowen!
    DAy:5-9: party party party
    day 10: stagger back

am i being ambitious or what!!!! :LOL:
  7. well ive finally pulled my finger out and decided to write up my adventures...

i pulled it off ..
    2763 km in total (return trip)
    and im absolutley shagged
    sunburnt and saddlesore

had a bloody ripper of a trip
    met heaps of interesting people on the way..

left early mundy morning, arrived 1770 that arvy
    first up a friendly F@rk u to the dickhead on the cbr who undertook me on the gateway motorway. undertook me in my lane, when i was in the left lane. loaded up with gear... and the right lane was free.. :x
    following a pursuit lanespliting through traffic.. he congratulated me for keeping up to him and i gave him a one fingered salute in return.

so of to a good start i was thinking. :?

had an awesome trip keep it to about 600 kms a day.. riding an unfaired bike is veryy tiring...
    pulled up to 1770 camping grounds at lunch and set up camp ... headed down the road to the pizza shop on the corner..
    when i was there about 20 souped up scooters rocked up.. a tourgroup was taking all these tourists round.. its a bit intimidating being surrounded by 20 scooters :LOL: :p
    after the most awesome pizza ever and a few bundy rums i hit the hay.

next i headed to clairview whicih is basically between rockhampton and mackay... in the middle of nowwhere.
    stayed at the caravan park there.. licensed bar as well 8)
    clairview is an amazing place ,,, bush meets beach. the winds blow constantly at about 20 kts. the tide retreats to about 1 km out... pretty amazing scenery.. all the mangroves their grow at 45 degree angle because of the wind.
    slept out under the stars and got absolutley savaged by the mosquitos.
    and enjoyed the company of a queensland rail freight train passing by my campsite 100m away at every 2hrs of the night.
    great hosts though.. and a great place to chill out.

next onwards to bowen. it gets veeery hot up their on the roads at least 38degrees + and i absolutely suffered.. drank heaps of water on the way up.. 600ml every hour..so i wasnt to bad... but i guess black textiles isnt the best gear to tour in.... lol.. but still better thean leathers.

next few days are a blur of lots of alcohol, food and alcohol

an absolute misson to get back..
    2 days return..... 8hours riding a day... :cry:
    soooo buggered..
    bowen to rockie. 622 kays...
    rockie to goldie. 733kays...
    sooo saddle sore.... lol
    crashed at a motel at rockie for the nite.. they had great parking facilitys for bikes their.. lol.. (check photos)

had an absolute blinder of a trip... nothing better than touring the country at your own pace and i was definatley in my element.

so who says you cant tour on a 2fiddy!!!!!!!!!
    i had a rack spesh made up for the hornet which carried all my gear with ease.. packed all my gear down to a rucksack and kept all my camping gear in a bag slung off the side. good touring when you got a backrest as well. a nice blonde would have been better though :wink:

found out the hard way the only piece of clothing you need up north is a pair of boardshorts. lol. and a stubby cooler

and not one drop of rain!!!!
    (one speeding ticket though :oops: )

so great trip... but where to next??? :D
  8. and links to photos can be found at

server seeems to be down at the momnet though

but check em' out
    some amazing photos of clairview and horseshoe bay in bowen their.. plus some of rhonda 8)
  9. Sensational ride report, prags, up there with the best. Amazing effort to cover that distance in that time on a 250, shows what a marvellous bike Honda made, eh?
    Congratulations, mate, I dips me lid. :D
  10. good stuff 'nasty... bloody good stuff :applause: :applause:

11. well in the year coming i plan to head south to the new ....

but tazzie is in the pipeline :wink:

too little time, too little tire tread.... :D
  12. If you come within 600 kms of me and don't arrange to meet, I shall report you to the Hornet's Nest.
  13. You'll love tassie... no need to worry about dehydration and roasting in black jackets here :p :p

Mar-Apr-May is the best time to come to Tas

14. sounds fun prags!

bowen is a top place, that is spectacular country up there. I'm jealous!
  15. Very entertaining, well done mate!
  16. Good work - that's what I call dedication to a cause! Great photos too.
  17. Congrats !!!
    That's the spirit, yeeeeha !!
  18. Nothing wrong with little bikes for touring on hey :D :D My baby 400 has done quite a few touring kays in the past & is up for a month long hoon fest starting next wenesday :LOL: :LOL:
  19. Have fun and take care. Dont get to much of a sore arse though.. :LOL: :LOL: