Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Gold discolouration on exhaust pipe.

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by Banana.Monster, Oct 21, 2008.

1. I have been looking around for a Bandit 1250 after test riding one recently and I have found an ex demo 2007 in red for $10,000. Only problem is, the entire exhaust is a gold colour, is there any way to fix that or should I steer clear.

2. It's hard to answer that without pictures. I guess you'd know if the system had been PAINTED gold. In a non-injected bike 'straw' coloured pipes was usually a sign of lean mixture. If this is the case on this bike, then someone may have fiddled with the engine management.
  3. sound like normal stainless discolouration from heat
  4. Having a look around the net it seems to be a common thing for the 1250 bandits with the stock settings. Something I forgot to add in the first post is that they will be changing the stock exhaust for a yoshimura one, if it is retuned for this new pipe would that normally involve a richer fuel mixture and help get rid of the discolouration?

Edit: I will try and get a pic of it tomorrow.
  5. :WStupid:
  6. As others have said, normal heat discolouration.

You can try a metal polish but will the effort required be worth it?
    Doubt it.
  7. I think I over reacted a bit to it, had another look yesterday and it didnt look nearly as bad as I thought.