Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Gold Chain

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by boro_baba, May 12, 2008.

1. While washing my bike yesterday I noticed its got a gold chain but due to all the greasing and lubeing it looks black!

I was told by a freind of mine that if i use WD-40 for the next 3-4 times instead of chain lube and whipe off the excess with a clean towel it will clean it and make the color more visible.

He also said that because the WD-40 isn't made for bike chains I should re-apply it every time i refuel.

What are your thoughts?
  2. WD40 is not a lube.

Clean the chain with kero and apply chain lube. The frequency depends on a lot of things and to much is almost as bad as not enough as it collects crap.
  3. I ride to work and back everyday (50kms) no matter what the weather is. at least 1 day i cop a bit of rain. I fill the tank every three days. I use the stock standard chain lube from peter stevens ( forget the brand )

How often should i lube it?
  4. I'd be doing it every fortnight with a good kero clean about every 3 months or sooner if there is a build up of junk.
    Best to do the lube after a ride and a clean, cold.
  5. Keep WD40 the hell away from the chain unless you want to ruin it.

Buy some kero (low odour!), get a toothbruth and clean the crap out of it until its gold again. Then wash the kero off, dry, lube.
  6. Okay... well it looks like a certain freind of mine will be copin a foot in his AR*E!

I guess ill just stick to kero(low order) a tooth brush and some elbow grease.

Thanx guys :)
  7. I haven't been washing off the kero so far :oops:
  8. Stop being cheap. Buy either Moterex or Motul O ring chain cleaner. No need to dry off. Just apply, watch the crap fall off the chain and then lube.