Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Going shopping today, need some advice please

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by Romus, Jul 5, 2006.

1. Hey guys. This isn't about bikes but about gear. Want to gear up first and then go try out some bikes. I've read what someone here wrote about minimum, medium and luxury spending on gear. I want to get a $600 helmet, $600 leather jacket, $200 normal-looking pants, 170 for boots and about a 100 for gloves. Do I need the back protection if the jacket has it in already??

Now, does me spending 600 on a jacket (or helmet) guarantee good gear? Helmet is Shoei but jacket is "Joe Rocket" or something. I wouldnt wanna be sucked into the "yea its pricey but you still got sucked into buying crap gear" thing, if there is such thing. I know it's cheap compared to 1000 for each item, but still better than 150 bucks helmet etc. Or am I wrong? :)

Please hit me with any comments, thanks
  2. Romus,

looks like you shuld be spot on with that budget, look out for end of season run outs as you can save big dollars. I got an Alpinestar jacket for $550 normally $900.

For boots have a squiz at the Alpinestar Gortex boots these are going for about $250 at the moment and I can vouch for them being very waterproof, nothing worse than wet feet.

Buying from a reputable motorcycle shop/manufacturer is probably your only guarantee so to speak of getting good gear. With helmets get one that fits first, then pick the colour etc.
  3. yeah u should be right with that.
    $600 for a helmet should get u a Xr1000 maybe.
    JAckets just have a look around they should be cheaper since its winter - leather or textile?
    Really depends what type of riding u'll be doing.
    Me i have my winter riding gear and summer gear.
    Im sure if you buy all that stuff they'll give u a reasonable discount.
  4. well being new to this I can't be sure, so thanks for the quick reply. As for helmet, I don't care much about colours (will probably get a plain black anyway - i know it's a no-no from visibility perspective, but a bright yellow vtr should take care of that) and just not too sure what to believe the salesman. :) Like any newbi, I'm really skeptical but one day will laugh at this :)

Thanks again :)
  5. where abouts are you?? may be we can give some advice on shops.

see the helmet threads, it's all about the fit not the price.

spend an extra few $$ on the boots if you have to, you will take the helmet on and off durring a days ride but the boots are on all day, they MUST be comfortable, personaly the Gaherns fit me best
  6. one thing, make sure whatver helmet you choose fits you correctly! It has to be a nice snug feeling but not to the point of hurting. You have to remember the helmet will 'bed in' so therefore it will get a little bit looser, you don't want a helmet moving on your head while you are riding/immobile.

With regards to back protector, you still should look at getting one, it can help with posture and also the back protectors in jackets aren't the best protection you have if you do suffer a knock to your back/spine.
  7. Whatever you do don't go into the shop with preconcieved ideas about what helmet is best for you.

People have different shaped heads and what fits one person perfectly may well.

It has however been my observation that people who prefer Shoei seldom find Arai helmets comfortable and vice versa.
  8. Most bike shops that i have been to have what they call.. " Learner Packages" where you get all the neccessary gear at a low package price. Check out the bike shops in your area and go in and ask... I always found, if you don't ask they never tell you about them and try to sell you more expensive gear that does the same job. :grin:
  9. wow you guys are great! I've been to one place in Artarmon (Sydney) called North something. Today I'm going to BikeBiz in Parramatta. See I've been told the helmet should be hurting, but when trying small, that REALLY hurt so I thought nah, medium is still very tight but much more comfy. The salesman trying moving it up/down/left/right while on my head, he said it was a good fit. Tried a jacket (sort of the only leather jacket in my price range (up to 600) everything else was 1000 or so) and sat on a duc monster (similar posture to vtr250 i wanna get) and seemed comfortable. Just have to go around and try on as much as possible I guess.

Thanks guys, I'll drop a line here when I come back from this place.
  10. For helmets there is NO difference in protection between cheap and expensive. If it meets the standards it meets the standards. It's about comfort, noise, and features (ventilation etc. etc.) and taste. If you come in cheaper than budget on the helmet then you can spend more on other gear.

For other gear there are a lot of choices. Joe Rocket is a reputable make. You can also look at Tiger Angel (excellent after sales service and made in Australia), Alpinestar, etc. etc.

If you're in Melbourne nip over to Port Melbourne and look at Torrini Leathers and their Black Rose line. I've got both a Tiger Angel and a similar Black Rose jacket and they are both excellent. The Black Rose was significantly cheaper.

Pants - I've got a few pairs of Draggin' Jeans - all good but there's a lot of other brands also worth looking at. I've also got a pair of Tiger Angel elements pants - not cheap but cut slightly larger so I can wear them to work with my normal work pants under them.

Definitely make sure your boots are waterproof. Lots of choice there. I've got some Italian made Falco brand (from Torrini) which cost me $190 and I'll swear by. Again there's a lot of choice and the most expensive isn't necessarily the best.

Finally don't forget your gloves. Waterproof gloves are a really good idea - any of the major brands are good - check out some of the reviews in bike magazines.

And come warm weather expect to go out and expect to do it all over again for summer gear :LOL:

11. Thanks everyone, you're really great! :) Now I just got back from two more shops, and much more confused. See I dont know if bike business is same as every other, but I feel like a sheep amongst the wolves and believe nothing they tell me :) I have to say I'm new to bikes, "ooookey then sir, this is the best for you!" - you know what I mean. Now there's a Tiger Angel for 840, and Im told its better leather (3rd layer) than other (600 bucks) around there. Is that true? Also I tried other helmets like shark etc but it's very hard to put my glasses in, the shoei is great what it, on a tight fit they still slip right thru to my ears. I'll be going back tomorrow or so to try some other stuff when i dont have to work the afternoons, but again, feel wunerable :)

Guess you gotta go thru it, same as everything. Saw a really nice vtr250 at one of the places too, damn the thing feels nice to sit on :) ( I can hear some of you boo-ing me ;))

Thanks again, guys :)
  12. yeah we may bung sh1t on each other but if you ride a bike it dosent mater what sort.
  13. Yep, no matter what you ride someone here will criticise it
    :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
  14. Romus:

Helmets: Just buy what fits - if it passes the standards like the guys say, then it will protect you. After a certain level, you pay for comfort (weight) and extra features but not really extra safety. Someone did tel me however, that a more expensive helmet (e.g. 400+ vs 100-150) would take knocks and drops (not offs, but knocks and drops and stuff) and generally last you longer than a cheap@ss helmet would. I think one of them actually said that a more expensive one would generally take more, including an off, and that it was a reason you COULD pay more - ie one that'll last you almost anything vs a cheap and nasty replaceable one. Can anyone clarify that? Seemed a little irresponsible to say to a newbie if its not really the case :eek: Anyways .. main thing is to make sure it fits and that it passes all the safety standards.

Jacket: Leather + Armour from what I have read is the way to go but if you can't do that, then something you feel safe in I guess. I have a Dainese textile jacket which I love and was probably the best fit of all the jackets I tried on. I was told also to check the armour in your elbows and the like .. if it moves all the way round your arm, the armour won't really protect you. It will move a bit, but if its not gonna be at your elbow when you need it, you may as well not have it.

Gloves: Beware of sausage fingers. From one newbie to another, it took me a few quick rides to even get the guts to put the gloves on cos I was nervous about being able to feel the throttle etc. The only reason I put them on in the end was because its winter and bloody freezing in the mornings :p I've currently got leather, relatively light gloves - they're probably classed as summer gloves I guess. On the weekend I bought a pair of silk gloves to go underneath and I have to say, they make the gloves actually fit a bit better and once my hands get to a certain temperature, they don't get colder and I don't feel the actual wind like I did before. Be careful with the Thinsulate and similar type winter gloves because they may make you even more nervous because you can't feel anything much through them ;)

Boots: There might be a difference between the boots I'd be looking at as a chick and the boots you're looking at, but 170 seems a little light on - have you found some at 170 that'll do the job? Both my pairs of boots (Rossi with no protection, just leather; Gaerne leather + protection) were 200+..

Pants: $200 should do the job easily - there's lots of different brands and styles and don't write off a brand because they don't fit the way you want, or dont' have as much kevlar as you want. I tried on a pair the other day at a store (own brand) and there wasn't a whole lot of kevlar but the pants fit well. Only cost me an extra $50 to pretty much double the amount of Kevlar in them, as well as the pants being made specfically for me based on the size I tried on. Also, of all the jeans-styled kevlar pants, Hornee jeans were probably the worst fit (hipsters!?!) but had the most kevlar (on a shorty, almost full leg kevlar hehehe).

Don't let the shops push you round. Find somewhere you trust and compare what they say to comments on here and you can't go too far wrong. Sounds like you're buying stuff that most people are recommending anyways, so you should be good :) Make sure you get the best price you can too!! Buying that much stuff, you should get a pretty good deal :D
  15. emsie: ANY helmet you are wearing and knock it, it should/must be replaced. Doesn't matter of the cost/quality they are all designed for the one hit protection (wearing it of course) :)
  16. Romus: probably too late but if you're out at Bike Biz, also nip across to MCAS on the corner of Church and Campbell (only a few hundred metres away). They have a heap of gear at pretty good prices.
  17. That was pretty much what I understood about helmets .. seemed like a really silly thing for the guy to have said, but I guess at the time it wouldn't have affected me either way if it WAS true since I was already buying an expensive helmet :p
  18. well what I meant is any help is designed to protect once on the particular area you hit. In theory you could re-use the helmet after a knock, say you hit the right front side, in another knock you make sure the helmet hits left back but in reality, how the hell can you make sure that happens :)

Rule of thumb, helmet takes a (good) knock whilst it protects your noggin, replace it :)
  19. This study goes into a lot of detail but is one of the best independent test to date.

Some of their findings are really interesting...

Conventional helmet-biz wisdom says fiberglass construction is somehow better at absorbing energy than plastic—something about the energy of the crash being used up in delaminating the shell. And that a stiffer shell lets a designer use softer foam inside—which might absorb energy better.

Our results showed the exact opposite—that plastic-shelled helmets actually performed better than fiberglass. In our big 3-meter hit—the high-energy kind of bash one might expect would show the supposed weaknesses of a plastic shell—the plastic helmets transferred an average of 20 fewer Gs compared with their fiberglass brothers, which were presumably designed by the same engineers to meet the same standards, and built in the same factories by the same people.

Why is this? We're guessing—but it's a really good guess: The EPS liner inside the shell is better at absorbing energy than the shell. The polycarbonate shells flex rather than crush and delaminate, and this flexing, far from being a problem, actually lets the EPS do more of its job of energy absorption while transferring less energy to the head.