Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Going on my first ride, for the point of riding.

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by aerodynamic, Feb 4, 2009.

1. So this friday myself and a mate are going for a ride to find some twistys, and explore some nearby countryside...

Im just wondering if anyone knows some things i should be wary of, or what some common signs are from fellow bikers that could save my back side.

Thanks ahead.

2. First of all, welcome to Netrider :).

Now, NSW is a big place, and it would help us to know WHERE you plan to ride so we can offer some useful advice.

Of which the first has nothing to do with location; it's going to be over 40 degrees in the Western Suburbs, and not good weather to be riding at all.....

3. 46 degrees on sunday to be precise then 22 degrees monday, cough cough

4. twisties can bite you in the bum if you don't know what you are doing.

if like most new riders you have problems with target fixation and running wide, stay away from them for a while.

5. staying away from them wont help you improve.
    go nuts looking for twisties, jsut take it easy when you find them.
    dont try to keep up with anyone.
    as for signals to look out for, if you see a bike coming the other way with a hand up, finger pointed to the sky, and making a circle with their finger, it means cops ahead somewhere. like the spinning of the lights.
    rider in front pointing a boot out to either side, or pointing to the ground either side can mean gravel/some other shit on the road, so keep an eye out.
    boot out to the right or kicking out can also mean "pass me".

if another biker seems to nod in your direction, it means you need to transfer $150 to my personal bank account, or you will be attacked by a dropbear shortly after.

have fun!

6. Temperature has been significantly revised
    Thursday : 29°C
    Friday : 27°C
    Saturday : 33°C
    Sunday : 34°C
    Monday : 24°C
    Tuesday : 21°C
    Wednesday : 21°C

7. oh yeah, i live about an hour north of sydney, little place near gosford.

8. i prefer to do a tap to the top of my helmet
    much quicker to do and easier to see.

or the old flick of high beams if you cant take ur hand off the handlebars

9. the recently re-opened bit of the old pac is a bucket of fun.

although, there was a fair bit of debris on the road the other night when i came home from sydney.

also, watch the tar snakes. they gave me a few 'interesting moments', particularly with them being soft due to the heat.

10. 'Don't stress to much about the twisties, just make sure you don't let yourself get pushed beyond your limits.

If your mate is going quicker, let him go and catch up when you hit the straights, if there's a rider on your arse in the corners wave him by. Twisties are alot of fun but also have the potential to end a riding career prematurely.

My advice for how to handle corners:

Keep good lines, start wide and end tight, this will give you a better view around the corner and stop you from having your head on the other side of the road.

If you spot a car on your side of the road mid corner, adjust your line slightly, DONT STOMP THE BACK BRAKE. If you have to brake, just tiny consecutive taps on the rear.

Keep your weight centred, don't lean on the handlebars as alot of windy roads will have trees etc. and you can hit twigs and the like during the corner. If you have weight on the front shocks and hit a bump, the bike will be much more unstable. If the weight is evenly distributed the impact is spread.

And most importantly... look where you want to go! Look around the corner and not at your buddy's brake lights. Lead the bike with your chin. Don't take your arse off the seat until someones shown you what to do. If you are hitting the corners at a bit of speed, move your head past the visor and look through the corner.

Alright that's been my two cents. I'm probably wrong on alot of things so if anyone can point out my shortcomings in advice that would be appreciated. :grin:

11. \

Scope out a few locations and ride them a few times before you try your creating own Isle of Man TT race.

It helps you identify abnormalities in the gravel, potholes, bumps, damp spots, blind spots etc

12. Very helpful and informative post, thanks :grin: