Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Going on holidays - how to keep bike

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by Riderman, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Hi NR,

I'm going to be leaving my bike for more than a month in my garage as I'm going overseas. What is the recommended way to store the bike?

My bike is carby.

I was thinking so far:

1. Disconnect battery <-- is this required, like a car so it doesnt drain? will anything happen when i eventually reconnect it, e.g. on a car, your headdeck will lose its settings

2. Flip the fuel tank switch to 'OFF'

3. Cover bike with something to prevent dust from accumulating

Anything else?

2. leave the bike with me :p
    lol...

ohkaye...
    -disconnecting battery is a good idea...and since most of the bikes here have dry batteries, you dont have to take it off the bike.
    You do not loose any setting that I know of....can't really talk about power commanders and other latest bikes though....but I dont really see any 'settings' been stored on a RAM powered by the battery.

-flip the fuel switch off and empty the tank if the bike is not going to be used for 1+ months.

-cover the bike.

-if not parked inside locked garage, i would take out as much accessories possible from the bike.

-if not parked inside a locked garage, I would invest on some locking devices including chains, which locks the wheels and the bike to the ground. Even though, if someone has a strong will to steal your bike, he WILL find a way out :\