Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Going Numb

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Blue viffer, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Hi
    I have been out of the bike scene for about 3 years after owning a GPX250 & a HD FXR, I now have a VFR 800.
    One thing I have noticed is that after riding for about half an hour straight (no stopping) my fingers start to go numb on both hands to the point where I can’t feel them.

At first I thought it was due to a lack of strength in my wrist having been off bikes for a while but I've now been riding daily for over 4 months without any change.
    I travel about 80kms per day on mainly country roads & love the bike so changing isn’t an option.
    Has anyone had similar experiences or can anyone recommend a fix?
  2. If your fingers are numb to the point where you can no longer feel them then how the hell do you operate the controls??
  3. I have to let go of the controls, one at a time mind you!!
  4. Could be a couple of reasons.

1: Wrists bent too much pinching a nerve
    2: Too much pressure on the pad of your hand, same thing.

So maybe try and relax wrists and grip moe with knees.

Yes I am a noobie to all this but this is what my chiropractor told me to do and it seems to work.
  5. do some weights at the gym focusing on your lower back...

hyperflexes and deadlifts should suffice

this will reduce the amount of weight you're putting on the bars, which is generally the root of numb hand problems :)
  6. warmer gloves? :p
  7. How do you know your hands are numb if you cant feel them?? :p:p
  8. I had the same problem and it was posture related...I had been riding for over 12 months when after a long trip I started having the same problems...if got so bad that after 30 mins or so my fingers were tingling really badly and I had no feel for the controls...I went over my bike with a fine tooth comb and couldn't find anything amiss...then a couple of people suggested I was straightening my arms too much and putting too much weight on my wrists or pinching a nerve or something...Cathar showed me how to do the chicken dance(keeping arms bent and being able to waggle them like a chicken even when cranked over) and the rest is history. I did 500k's the other day with little problems

9. Remember the joke, it will feel like someone else!
  10. Make sure your gloves dont have a seam that presses up on the base of your thumb.

My old gloves left a very deep indentation on my hands that used to send them completelu numb after just 10 minutes on the bike.
  11. Thanks for the suggestions so far, i have had lower back problems so that could be the issue.
    I will try all of the other suggestions and hopefully find something that works for me. :wink:
  12. I have tendon damage to one wrist and nerve damage to the other.

It was only when riding that it got excrutiating, because doing anything else I could stop and rest them. Do you experience it at any other times? If you do, riding might only be aggravating a pre-existing condition.

My solution was to get off the sports bikes and go for nakeds. I was okay on the Zeal but I have had to put handlebar risers on the GS. It still hasn't solved the problem completely, as I am not completely upright. It doesn't take much pressure on the wrists to set it off. Another option is to change the handlebars.

Hope you get it sorted out :)
  13. It's the vibes from that rough V4 contraption. You need to swap it for something with a nice smooth inline donk...

:p :LOL:
  14. I have a single that provides an invigorating vibration and a very forward riding position - lots of weight on your wrists. I also have an ancient back injury that limits how much of my upper body weight I can support with my back muscles.

I replaced my handgrips with the biggest foam grips I could find, which has ironed out most of the vibration.

I also wear a Dianese back protector/kidney belt which relieves the load on my back and arms. It only covers from my lower back to my bottom rib, but it has much wider velcro (2 overlapping panels) than any of the full length back protectors I've seen. The extra velcro spreads the support over more area. This has made a big difference.

Unfortunately, I haven't seen them in the shops and I don't know if Dainese still make them.