Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Going MotoGP '10

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by mr_messy, Sep 5, 2010.

1. I'm planning on going to the moto gp this year as I've never been.
    I dont even get to watch it.
    Always had work or never got around to it or had anyone to go with

Just wondering if anyone can give me an idea on what to expect or what to do.

I'm planning on going on each of the three days.

I know there are huge rides to the Island. And thats about it.

My net is capped so my searches take forever and there is so much posts and threads to go through.

2. mr_messy,

Was there last year. Awesome time and an event you will never forget..best part is it's a renewed fond memory, every year (y)
    Three of us rode down last year. We googled lots of accommodation options and found a bed/breakfast arrangement with a lovely elderly couple, who parked our bikes in their secure garage, whilst driving us to/from the track each day !

Alternatively, the 'feral' option is also available (actually looked like heaps of fun!) by parking your bike onsite (together with the other hundreds of bikes) and messing it up with a tent, caravan etc. A google search will put you in the right direction, though, depending on numbers, the bed/breakfast option may suit you better - much more comfy, great deal on a comfy bed and a very tasty hearty breaky !

As for tickets, I'm sure there are several options/packages available and prices can be found/tickets booked on one such website :
    http://www.motogp.com .
    I've done a recent search but can't seem to track down a number for you to call for ticket booking, based on your internet being capped. Hopefully someone else here can assist with this.

I'm not sure if I'll be making this year's one (possible work commitments) but you WILL have a blast and riding down with a group will make the event even more memorable for you.
    Have fun mate !
  3. I go down just for race itself, Sunday morning. It's a boring ride but usually one can string along with other bikes, which makes it cool.

The trip home with all the bikes is a "must experience".

4. Here are some phone numbers for you Mr Messy
    Call the Ticketek Call Centre on 131 931 or book online on Ticketek

Australian Grand Prix Corporation
    220 Albert Road

Tel: + 61 (03) 9258 7100 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting + 61 (03) 9258 7100 end_of_the_skype_highlighting
    Fax: + 61 (03) 9682 0410
    Email: corporate@grandprix.com.au

Grand Prix Travel Office (for International Airfare Packages and Drive Packages)
    Tel: 1300 300 701 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1300 300 701 end_of_the_skype_highlighting (within Australia) or +61 (03) 9676 2144 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting +61 (03) 9676 2144 end_of_the_skype_highlighting
    Fax: +61 (03) 9645 6985
    Email: gpto@grandprix.com.au

Qantas Holidays (for Domestic Airfare Packages)
    Tel: 131 415

220 Albert Road

Tel: + 61 (03) 9258 7100 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting + 61 (03) 9258 7100 end_of_the_skype_highlighting
    Fax: + 61 (03) 9682 0410
    Email: enquiries@grandprix.com.au

Email: kaitlyn.miller@grandprix.com.au
  5. GP is ok but I reckon superbikes is better. You can ride inside the track so you dont have to walk miles to your seats in siberia, and you see more racing too

Just my thoughts.....

6. Nice one motolegion. Thanks for posting all the details. I'm sure many will benefit from this info (y)
  7. Went down last year and had a blast.

I suggest you get seats in the stands at either siberia or lukey heights
  8. If you have the time and want to experience riding in a HUGE group, including a lap of the track .. take a look at the Barry Sheene ride from Bairnsdale to the track on Thursday ................ unbe phug'n lievable over 1000 bikes last year .....
  9. im goin, a friend i go riding with is doing all the organizing too, so all i have to do is give her money and show up on the day! sweet as! :D
  10. I've been down to the Phillip Island GP 3 or 4 times. It is the quintessential biking experience. I always go in a group so as to avoid plod who are red hot on solo bikers. Stay on the island & prefferably in Cowes if you can. Cowes pub on the Friday night is a definite must do. I normally do the trip back in 1 day & that's a long day in the saddle. You will not forget the experience.=D>
  11. Saddly the Cowes pub (The Isle of Wight) burnt down, not sure what stage it's at now, but I do remember the news broadcast at the time saying it was "destroyed by fire".
  12. lol. what pub? it's gone!:deal:
  13. BIG +1

While the SBK are the 'workin mans' race, you've gotta do a GP.

Its a farken Circus!
  14. Hey I'm going down for the first time this year on the Saturday just got GA tick's rideing down and thinking of parking on site is this the way to go ???

Or are there problems with this ??? And is there a cost $$ ?? To park

Thanks in advance
  15. No probs with parking, from memory I think it was $5 to park in the paddock, only drama is finding your bike amongst the thousands when you come out ...

...tip ... bring a stand puck or save an empty drink can, the ground has been known to eat bikes.

GP run leaves from Cranbourne if you want to ride down in a big group, but it doesn't get down to the track until mid too late morning .. I prefer to get there early and make the most of the day.
  16. Thanks nobby thinking of doing the cranbourne ride down looks like fun

And good tip about the puck ..will do
  17. If you haven't heard a GP bike screaming it's guts out , you haven't lived :)
  18. Just chill out at turn one.... best view.
  19. Thanks for the info everyone.
    Haven't replied cos I cant seem to get any email notification of replies to my email like other forums.
    And I forgot I asked.
    And I bought another bike which kept me occupied.

I have looked at buying tickets for the 3 days being the cheapest lol
    Not sure if I can do three trips to and back to the Island from out west though.
  20. I have gone every year for about the past 6 or so with my daughter, booked and paid for this year. We used to go down Friday but found getting there on Thursday made sure we got a better camping spot. We always stay at the Highside Campground, which is a little more family friendly and full of great people. The Trackside Campground is for bikes only and is great for young guys or groups of mates, mostly great people but a few in there enjoy a party! Have never had any issues in the whole time we have been going apart from having our tent almost destroyed by massive winds on a few occasions!

We always take either the ute or car with a bike trailer on behind and all our gear, clothes, camping stuff etc. in the back. Once we set up camp the bike comes off and is our only mode of transport till we pack up for home. We took the road/trail last year, but will probably take the Buell this year. We do Cowes on Friday and Saturday nights, great atmosphere, plenty of eating places, but are usually away by 9 p.m. before the drunks come in. We have a great time every year and it is well worth going.