Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Going from synthetic to mineral oil

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by always1234, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Hi, my early model gsxr has been running synthetic oil, and i want to go back to mineral oil. Can i just drain and change, or should i do a couple of oil changes to get rid of any synth left behind? Reason i ask is do synth and mineral oil mix, or do they create a separate layer? thanks

2. No need to waste so much oil, just do the change.
  3. thanks mate
  4. As gsxxer said, do the change as normal, there's no drama in mixing them. Be aware though, that the mineral oil should lubricate equally as well as synthetic but it won't last as long so you will want to be changing it a bit more often. :)
  5. thanks guys, got the bike running today after a bit of a layoff, its a totally original immac red and black 1100j, changed all fluids and fuel, started first pop. Was gonna sell it , but now not so sure. Dont think i could ever find one as good as this. Just gotta ride the darn thing.
  6. Why go backwards ???
    I only use mineral oils if I am going to store the bike for more than three or four months.
    At least use a semi synthetic. If it's price then go to Supercheap and use the Castrol fully synthetic. It's a lot cheaper than Motul or Rock. And for mine works as well if not better on a lot of bikes.