Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Going from RE to R licence (QLD)

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by WILDB, Oct 26, 2008.

  1. I am wanting to upgrade my RE (250) licence to an R (unrestricted) licence. I got my RE licence before the new laws came in in QLD on the 1st of July (Just), however I was told that I have to wait until I have had my Re licence for a year before I can do this.

    As far as I was aware it was only people who got their bike licence after the cutoff were affected by the new laws? (I have my open car licence btw)

    Does anyone know if this is true?


  2. As far as i remember, under the old laws if you haven't held your open car license for 3 years you have to do a year on an RE bike license. When you do come to upgrade, I think you can go back and do Q-ride a few weeks before you are due and just hang on to the certificate. Take it in when you are eligible. That's what i did.
  3. Thanks for that Superunknown, I'll go and see about doing my Q-Ride again soon. The person at QLD transport I spoke to said I was affected by the new laws which I found strange since I got my licence before the changes took effect hence my asking of the question as I suspect QLD transport don't know what they're talking about (It wouldn't be the first time :LOL: )