Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Going from a 250 to a 900 or so ...?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by Sunflower, Dec 26, 2007.

1. Been riding a 250 for 6 months want to upgrade when I can to a 1000cc motorcycle been told its quite a jump to a bigger bike though with a little adjustment time I don't see the big deal. Any advice or main things to look out for??

2. I'm no expert and I can't say what you should look for but what i will say is don't worry about the jump in power, it makes no differance as it depends entirely how you ride.

For example I had a 250 and rode it for 6 months then didn't touch a motorbike for 6 or 7 years, then my first bike to bring me back into the game was a 1000, then an 800 and now I have a 1400. The jump in power is only a danger if you ride like an idiot or rev the crap out of the motor which as the size of the engine goes up; the less you have to do this. We're talking all legal riding ofcourse.

Make other considerations bigger priorities like comfort, what sort of riding you intend to do, costs and so on.

3. did you feel any difficulty in handling with a bigger bike? I'm a smallish female and have been told by one or two people that a 900 or 1000 would be too big for me to handle !?! but I don't really agree though I'm open to the fact maybe I'm wrong and they are right. Unless you drop the bike does the heavy factor really come into it?

4. No, the bike is balanced and if you ride "right" and you can balance it at the lights......................no worries

5. I have the same worries.
    I know that the bike would be balanced on the light and when it's moving but how manuvering around parking etc. would the weight of the bike hindrance my ability to manuevre the bike? I'm a smallish guy....

6. As long as you can get the balls of your your feet down to balance the bike when stopped, weight is not an issue, unless you drop it. Then, being a smallish 22 year old female should help get it picked up for you. :grin:

Things to watch for are the throttle and the front brake. You will need to learn those control again.

On a big bike, pulling on the throttle like you would on a 250 can see you being jerked backwards, which makes you hang on harder, which can lead to accidentally pulling the throttle on more. That is what happens in those U-Tube movies where people flip a bike they are not used to. Using your knees to hang on instead of your hands will help with this.

You will also find the front brake is way more powerful, and will need a more controlled touch, even if it does need a heavier hand. Oh, and if you have the bad habit of using the front brake when slow riding, if the handlebars are even a little off straight forward, the weight of the bike will throw it to the ground even quicker, and you will have no chance of catching it with your legs.

So, with good skills, a larger bike is no problem. :grin:

7. iv learnt that its powerfulla
    you gota control teh powah

8. go for it.

just have a look at full comp. insurance for a larger bike. that may be a deciding factor.

ride safe.

9. :LOL:

10. I took the jump from 250 to 1100, but I spent 2 1/2 years on the little bike, putting in 35k km's before doing so. Don't skimp on the amount of experience you get before making the upgrade. It's much easier to learn on the little bikes.

The biggest issue I've had is the weight difference - 100kg plus. I've dropped her three times, but all at a standstill. Once it's moving, the weight factors only into riding twisties, where it takes a bit more effort to throw her around. (Of course, my bike is 12yo and doesn't have the aggressive geometry of, say, a ZX-10.)

11. Classic, Roderick :LOL:.

Sunflower, everything will be different, but thanks to the wonders of evolution, you will find that your mind and body will adapt quickly. I'd hate to see you buy a smaller (bigger) bike and then be disappointed six months down the track and drop a heap of cash buying the bigger bike you should have got in the first place.

On balance (groan), however, being a smallish female, you MAY find that a 600 or a GSXR-750, for example, would be all the power you would ever want; after all, you DO have an advantage over us lardly slobs :LOL:.

12. Just find a bike you feel comfortable in (in terms of handling and power delivery) and like red viffer said, dont worry about that jump in power - it's all about how you ride. It's also exactly what i did - i went from a cbr250 to a sv1000. I dont have any issues controlling the SV and i think it's all about rider attitude and throttle control.

If you want something that's useable, consider a v-twin. The power comes on hard and smooth down low which is great for the streets, and will also keep up with any other sports bike on the twisties and track.

I didnt go for an inline four because it was VERY hard for me to keep the bike at a road legal speed (gsxr750).... i think they're great for the track, but dont think it can be used to its fullest potential on the road.

13. That's a brain / wrist issue you have and has nothing to do with I4's.

A simple way to keep speed down (aside from looking at the speedo) is to use specific gears in specific zones, keeping your rev's at the same level. You get used to hearing the one sound and need only adjust your gears to suit the speeds.

14. You've got a point, and that can be done with any bike.

It's just a little bit trickier with a four pot screamer. In my limited experience with them it required more of a conscious effort to keep it at legal speeds than a V-Twin.

And it also doesn't help if you're as deaf as a post like me!

15. Haven't ridden a V-twin, so I didn't realise there was that much of a difference.

16. I found the same thing even when riding a 250 i4. Probably because all the power is further up and it comes on fairly peaky, so when you go to get a bit of power you can easily get too much.. or something.

17. The geometry and weight distribution will also affect this and will be different between bikes. My VTR1000 was around 170kg i think and it was also very compact and a little small in size for me then when i went to a VFR800 the weight was about 215kg. The turn radius in tight spots was worse, the weight seemed much higher up near the fuel tank and i actually dropped it in slow speed manuevering incidents twice and lost it on a wet grass patch coming up the driveway once. It just seemed to get away from me when throwing it around too much at carpark crawling speeds. 2 of the 3 drops i ran out of turn whilst trying to manuvre too tightly and sort of got flicked from the bike.

Now i have a ZX-14 and the height and weight of the bike are almost identical to a VFR800 but the fuel tank partially goes under the seat and the bars actually turn further and as such i can do U-turns and crawl around a carpark far more confidently than what i did on a VFR800. The weight distribution seems to be far lower to the ground and doesn't feel like its about to topple. After dropping a VFR that many times i started being a little paranoid about low speed manuevering and had my feet ready to go to the ground if I started to lose it but its just not the case on the 14 which you presume would be worse being a bigger bike and all.

In conclusion the size and weight makes no difference whilst moving at speed as most turning is actually a mix of turning and counter steering but when you are moving around carparks the weight distribution in the bike and geometry seems to make a difference ie a sports bike vs a tourer, being more leaned over, tighter bar angle etc. If you drop it there is a correct technique for picking up a bike and you should learn it. It uses more leg muscles than back muscles and had i not learnt it there is no way i could deadlift 230kg of bike the three times i had to do it on the VFR800 (wet weight ofcourse).

18. I guess thats on way to meet a guy though last time I lost it I had 3 girls come to my rescue
    :LOL:

Yeah my intuition tells me with good riding skills a bigger bike should be no worries just the initial change will take a bit of practice but I don't plan on skimping on my riding practice on the 250 for now either I'm loving it ... went for a ride at the beach yesterday and saw a group ride past the other way ... nearly turned and followed them :wink:

19. basically the torque curve is a bit flatter, so it doesnt "feel" like its going faster.

20. basically the torque curve is a bit flatter, so it doesnt "feel" like its going faster.[/quote]
    Thanks. I must get out there and test ride some bikes to get an idea of what machines other than mine feel like.