Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

going for my 'P's soon.

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Leonie, Mar 28, 2005.

1. Hi everyone.

Can anyone tell me exactly how hard is the test for the 'P's.
    I dont think i am ready yet, but my 'L's run out in a few months.
    Can i renew my 'L's?.
    I am still not real smooth on changing down gears...i suppose it will come with practice.

I appreciate the help.

2. Hi Leonie,

Its been a while since I had my learners' permit and because I had forgotten the answer to your question as to whether you can renew your L plates, I went to www.vicroads.gov.au to find out.
    Apparently, the L permit is issued for 15 months and (after that) you can renew it once in the two year period after you first get your L plates.
    Greater than two years and you have to do the test again.
    In reference to changing down gears, I guess it does take practice to get the speed of your engine to match your road speed. Sometimes, you can be going too quickly to change down. In which case, you may need to brake a little to slow yourself down.
    I remember in my early days changing from 2nd to first too early and having the back skip out. Oops. :shock: What a surprise! But, you live and you learn. :)

Hope this helps,
  3. Hey leonie,

I've just done my Ps on Saturday, its bloody easy. Don't worry about it. It'll be alot easier if you practice your cornering and counter-steering but it's significantly easier than your L test.
  4. Do the course/test.

Downshifting will come to you eventually, best way to practise is to ride, L's or P's will make no different to your downshifting!

Besides, if you buy another bike later, the downshift points will be different and you'll be learning the correct timing all over again.

If the P test in Vic is like the Tas one, then downshifting isn't going to be an issue. The P's is more about slow speed control, braking, turning, witches hat slalom etc, and they teach you you all you need to know before you do the test.

5. Hi Leonie,

If you have done some riding since you got your L, and you can turn street corners using countersteering, and you have sometimes stop quickly at the lights, then you will not have a problem doing your Ps.

I personally don't think it's any harder or easier than your Ls, although like going for your Ls, it's a matter of "doing" it.

You'll get to practice all day, I did mine at Armstrong in Thomastown.....all day, they drill into you countersteering - countersteering and more countersteering, doing corners at no more than 25km/hr....and emergency stops. That's it.

Go for it!! :)
  6. The thing I really don't understand is how some who go for their licence have done absolutely no time on the road. It really defeats the point of being on your Ls, and having those plates. TAC should really also push the point of 120 hours for learner motorcyclists as well as drivers. I don't know about others, but its really worrying when there's motorcyclists with 600+ cc bikes whom have clocked only a few hours of riding experience.
  7. Hi Leonie

I'm in a similar boat - I have got until June to go for my P's and I don't really want to extend my learners. I'm not sure if I'm ready to go for the test either. lol!!

:D :D

PS. Congrats Paul (takagawa). I feel sooooooo jealous!!! :wink:
  8. Hi Leonie, I'm doing my P's at HART on the 4th, I don't know how I'll go so I've booked the fulldays (instruction & test) option... if my L's are any indication, they'll drill you on the 2 tests before making the "official" test run... the idea is not to let the "official run" psych you out and make you twitchy... Good luck...

Takagawa, congrats on your P's
  9. The sad fact is that getting your "P's" doesn't mean you can ride or drive, it just gives you the chance to keep learning. Most people will tell you that they are still learning, even those who have ridden or driven for years. Go for the test, get your "P's" and continue to learn at your own pace..
    ........Good Luck & Safe Riding.........
  10. The "P's" test is far easier than the L's test. When I did mine at HART they spent the entire morning practising counter steering & emergency stopping & we did the tests in the afternoon.

The test was:-

one 90 degree left turn
    one 90 degree right turn
    and 4 passes which are a mixture of emergency stops or left/right swerves.

Basically they give you points for how well or how bad you do each task and you are allowed to accumulate 40 points. For example the 90 degree turns are worth inbetween 0 - 8 points each pass, so if you go outside the lines you will loose maximum points (eight) but if you stay within the lines they give you inbetween 0 -7 points based on speed and technique and their perception of how safe you did the turn.

I have to admit my swerves were pretty poor as I didn't deviate that far but I passed the test with 21 points. The only person to fail in my group of 12 was a guy who did an emergency brake instead of a serve on his last go (which cost him 25 points making his total 41 DO'H).

To pass all you need to do is ensure you can do the turns within the lines and make sure you swerve or brake based upon the the light shown on the device they use.
  11. Thanks, I rather liked how I performed on exercise one, with the left and right swerves. I went so low my pegs scraped against the bitumen on both runs :D. But I can't believe I still didn't score zero, I got three on each of them.

On exercise two, I got zero for both countersteering swerves. But as expected I have rather poor emergency braking and scored total of seven for both of them. In total an average score of thirteen.

Here's the test info sheet.

It's easy, don't worry about it. If you're a regular reader on netriders, than you're probably racked up a fair number of hours riding. Experience is the thing which is going to make it easy for you. But even then, it's still very easy to pass.
  12. http://www.motorcycletraining.com.au/license.html

Don't over think the tests just get out there and do it. You'll probably find that you'll have no trouble, but if you do fail (like did due to over thinking it) you can always go back for another shot.
  13. Takagawa dont be too fussed by the emergency brake on the test. The MLST doesnt take into account reaction time and so the bare minimum (if the test is conducted correctly) is 4 for each stop.

I can give two tips to get thru the test. Firstly with excercise 1 which is the two corners. Dont worry about it. Just go at a pace you feel comfortable. Even if you cant turn a corner, you cant fail this part of the test. If you try and go faster than your skill level you do get penalised (as in run outside the lines and get max points). So just ride normally for the first bit.

The second tip, and this is MOST IMPORTANT. Do NOT look at the test indicator lights. Yes that is right, do not look at them. Look above them and you will see what they show in your periferal vision. If you look at the lights your reaction time will be MUCH greater. Trust me on this. When you look at the lights you are already deciding what action to do. If the lights are different to have to change your mind and then react. If you are looking above the lights you simply react, saving much time, and so points. The bit with the lights (exercise 2) you will get four things to do (1 left sweve, 1 right swerve, and 2 emergency stops). But it will be in any order. If you remember (and most people dont) what the first three are then you know what the fourth will be.

Best of luck

14. Nah, I've already accepted that i have very s**tty emergency braking skills. Something that I want to rectify asap.

Anyways, what tones says is right, just look above the light box. The instructors will remind you that on the day. The reason for the lightbox test, is to examine you on situations that require you to make a split-second decision. For example, if a car suddenly turned in front of you, you have to perform a maneuver relevant to what's happening in front of you.

The light box is supposed to simulate say, a swerve to the right. The score is based upon how long it took for you to respond to what the lightbox indicated for you to do. The more time it took you, the higher the score.

If you make the wrong decision, ie, you did an emergency stop when the box indicated to swerve right, then you recieve 25 points (which is a heck of alot seeing you get 41+ and you fail). The high penalty pretty much means that you're dead. Ie, you didn't respond correctly to the situation in front of you and you crashed *shrug*.

Anyways, that test is quite good at testing you at taking quick responsive action. Whatever you do, DO NOT GUESS what you're going to get. Just wait for the signal and do what it tells you to do. Don't even think about what sequence of lights you're getting. It's much more desirable to take penalty hits for slow response times, than taking the wrong response and getting a 25pt hit.
  15. You are close. The penalty is only for the instance of swerving in place of a stop. If you stop instead of swerve then the penalty is in fact different. The most amount of points you can get for a swerve is 8. Even if you swerve in the wrong direction. However if you apply the brakes before you reach the obstacle line then it is a "null run" and must be done again. If you get 3 null runs it is a fail. Sounds confusing? Bottom line is do what the lights indicate, and if it is a stop then STOP.

You are pretty close thou takagawa :)
  16. Ah you're right my bad. Similar to the driver's licence test. If you cross double lines, or fail to stop at a stop sign, its immediate fail. It's like, a strict thing about doing what you are supposed to do, to stop when your supposed to stop.
  17. Hehe. Wasnt trying to sound like a smart #$$ Paul. Prob sounded like that, but wasnt my intention. The test isnt that complicated and in fact originated in Canada but the measurments are imperial, go figure!!!

I had to go on a two day course to learn that!!

18. thanks for the heads up people, I'm now shaking in my boots about the light test!!!! surely, my reaction time wont be so bad, else I'll be dead by now (touch wood, 1, 2, 3)... I'll be happy with 39 points.
  19. Nah man, good to correct stuff. Actually I was speaking to my instructor if she knew about Netrider, and she said yea, she checks this place often to make sure we're not teaching the wrong things to learners :shock:

Anyways another fact, the test is designed so it'll still work in bad weather.

Nah man, you'd have to have one really crap reaction response time to score a high score. And I mean like homer simpson reaction time.
  20. Tones and Takagawa, guys, it's meant to be a secret.... :roll: :p :p

Wish I knew this beforehand....geez...

Actually, I scored quite high on the test....b*st*rd.....I was told by a source that if I was going fast, you'll score high.....so if you want a good test score, go the slowest you are allowed...even though the grading is supposed to be "fair"........I was getting a big head, doing quite well all day in the practice, and also the bike odometer doesn't work... %&%^*