Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Going for Heavy Rigid truck licence...any tips?

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by Maetrik, Dec 7, 2011.

1. So i've decided i want to escape Melbourne for a while and head up to the mines. All the jobs require a HR licence (unrestricted) which means non-synchromesh so i guess thats double clutching.

Does anyone here hold this licence and can give me any tips? I've been driving manual my whole life and can go it with my eyes closed but im guessing this will be vastly different, any key pointers before i get there to help me out would be great.

Thanks.

2. The theory is simple, but it is something that takes a bit of practice to embed......have a search on YouTube for road-ranger training videos and will find enough to explain how and why it is different.

3. Sweet thanks buddy.

4. I have a heavy combination license. Double clutching is the easy bit, it's 'knowing' when to double clutch that's harder.

Modern vehicles with non-synchromesh boxes are generally easier than the old stuff which sometimes had wide gaps between gears (more revs to get wrong).

Realisitically the only way to learn is to practice but knowing what you're trying to achieve and why does help.

Also going up through the gears will feel different to coming back down (different speed of response from the driver needed generally).

5. #5 Miraz, Dec 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    This is the kind of thing that I had in mind - it's old, but all the same principles still apply..

[URL="]
    [/URL]

As ZRX1200R hinted at....rev matching is key, the wider the gap between the gears the harder it gets.

6. People talk about 'floating' the gears rather than double clutching. How is that different?

7. If your rev matching is accurate enough then you can shift without using the clutch at all...so lift off to unload the gearbox as you come out of gear, match revs for the target gear and slot it into place.....get it wrong and the gearbox starts making expensive noises.

You can also semi-float....ie only use the clutch for the engagement side of the shift which is considerably easier

8. Basically, you don't use the clutch. You take the load off the driveline, slip out of gear, wait (and blip the pedal if it's a down-change) then slip it into the next gear when the time is right. If you do it right, it's silent, smooth, effective and proficient. If you do it wrong, then you can tell whether you're getting closer or further away from the desired revs by whether the tone or frequency of the grinding is climbing or falling.

Managers and fleet operators and rig owners have a tendency to go the colour of beetroot if they hear you doing it wrong.

9. And the dataloggers on some of the modern trucks keeps a record of it too...some of the European tractors unit will even dob the driver into the fleet operator in real time!

10. Fear not the double-declutch. I'm an uncoordinated numpty and have no problems doing it.

11. Cheers guys. I'm not too worried, i know i'll stuff it up the first few times but i taught myself to drive manual at 15, been driving manual ever since and im now 24 so manual gearboxes aren't foreign to me. If i was coming from Auto then there would be dramas!

Can believe the $$$ on offer at the mines, Truck Driver jobs ive looked at do a 10 day on 5 day off roster, earning $720 a day gross! That'd be about $4500 over 10 days, not bad AT ALL.

12. i imagine these driving jobs would be just brain dead shit but i suppose someone has to do it, hence the good pay. i spose you'll be driving big dump trucks or something like that?

i find it easier to not use the clutch, its how i learnt back when i was a kid coz my leg wasnt strong enough to use the clutch all the time. haha.

13. I still have the occasional nightmare about old coaches with gutless detroits matched to orrible 6 speed spicer crash boxes. Weird pattern, huge gaps between gears, no feel due to 35 feet of cable from the stick at the front and the box at the back.
    Aaaah, give me a nice synchro box any day!

of course, that was the olden days and you'll be fine now! Plus you won't be in a coach.

14. Were those the dreaded 2-stroke Detroits?

15. Um if your going for your HD, the clutch is the least of your worries. Or should be.
    I still tap the clutch on the final push home on down changes. Cant help it always have.
    Going up the gears can suck if you mess it up on an incline.
    And yes I believe 12 hours up and down the same road @ 10 kmp/h can drive you batty. It gets really hard to stay awake. I couldn't do it. I cant sit still that long.

16. 2 stroke detroits are cool, except for their thirst...

17. Can't be any worse than the Commer Knocker :sick:. Although the high pitched whine of the scavenging blower was some compensation for their staggering awfulness :D.

18. commer knockers make a bit of noise hey. we have a few engines from them in a back shed at my work, i wouldnt mind getting one running as a static display or something.

19. Well, as long as the "something" doesn't involve putting it in a Range Rover..........

20. some good info in here! as someone who has entertained the idea of a MR/HR license, thanks!