Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Going beyond the visible spectrum

Discussion in 'Non-Bikes' at netrider.net.au started by jd, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Been dabbling of late with transmitted infrared microscopy so thought I'd try my hand at some near-infrared photography. I typically use a 720nm filter ($8 off ebay) which allows some red through, then swap the red and blue channels and adjust the levels until I get something I'm happy with. I also have an 850nm filter but that only produces black and white images and since my camera is not modified the required exposure times are usually too high for most situations (talking 10-20 seconds on a bright day vs 2-3 with the 720nm filter).

The brightness of the vegetation is due to the fact that chlorophyll emits IR, you also get interesting effects with exposed rock as a lot of iron staining is in fact transparent to IR light making textures/layers more visible. In case anyone's wondering all the pics were taken around Werribee Gorge, and the camera is my trusty old Fuji S5500.

Attached Files:

• wg1.
      wg1.jpg
      File size:
      42.8 KB
      Views:
    • wg2.
      wg2.jpg
      File size:
      17.1 KB
      Views:
    • wg3.
      wg3.jpg
      File size:
      19.2 KB
      Views:
  2. Very nice JD. I love the high contrast with the sky, you've captured them well.

I've been doing IR on film for a few years and you get some very surreal images depending on the processing. You're lucky with digital, PP is much easier.