Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

God's into Real Estate now?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Mr Flibble, Jan 24, 2015.

1. http://www.charismanews.com/opinion...or-who-gives-god-official-ownership-over-town

At a time when some insist God is done with America, one Alabama town is renewing its commitment to Jehovah. Winfield's government has officially proclaimed that "God is the owner" of the city.

"I feel like we need to stand up for what is right," Mayor Randy Price told al.com. "Our forefathers said, 'One nation under God,' and we went so far away from that. There are not enough godly people involved in day-to-day decisions." The resolution states:

Whereas we acknowledge God is the owner of the City of Winfield and that it is a City under God. We acknowledge that at all times, He is in control.

Whereas, we acknowledge that through His leadership, the Mayor and City Council will seek his wisdom and knowledge to be good stewards of the city.

Whereas, we acknowledge that though prayer, with His guidance and presence, that we will be able to trust that no problem will be too large or too small to overcome.

Whereas, we acknowledge that the City of Winfield is where it is today because of God's grace and mercy.

Whereas, we acknowledge that at all times and in all circumstances, His will shall be done.

Whereas, we acknowledge that to God be the glory.

"I'm going to step on a lot of people's toes but there's not but one God and, that one God, to Him be the glory," says Price. "There's no other way; there's no other God. There are a lot of religions out there but only one God."

It's no surprise that Hemant Mehta, the so-called friendly atheist, mocked Price for his bold stance for God. Mehta assured his readers that God "has better things to do" than take over our cities. Of course, Mehta doesn't know God and cannot pretend to speak for Him—but he does seem to speak for millions of atheists. And Mehta has contacted the Freedom From Religion Foundation, which is known for launching virulent attacks on God. The atheist persecution that is already coming against Price for his bold stance for God is sickening.

Nevertheless, I stand with Price—and so does the Word of God. Psalms 24:1 says, "The earth belongs to the Lord, and its fullness, the world, and those who dwell in it." That just about covers it, but in case there is any remaining doubt, we can point to Deuteronomy 10:14, which declares, "Indeed, heaven and the highest heavens belong to the Lord your God, also the earth with all that is in it."

And let's not forget this powerful proclamation from King David, "Yours, O Lord, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty, for everything in the heavens and the earth is Yours. Yours is the kingdom, O Lord, and You exalt Yourself as head above all" (2 Chr. 29:11).

I bless Price and I bless the atheists who have not yet encountered God's love. I bless the Mississippi lawmakers that have introduced a bill to make the Bible the official state book. I bless this nation and bless the governing authorities that rule over their towns, cities, states and the nation, and I pray that God would open the eyes of their hearts and give them the courage to take a bold stand for righteousness.

Dear oh bloody dear.

Is this what is meant by separation of church and state?
  2. A city council has found someone else to blame for its stuff ups. The buck stops with God in Winfield. I bet the removalists are busy moving people out of that loony bin.
  3. http://underbellyham.blogspot.com.au/2015/01/newsbham-mayor-declares-winfield.html

A local resident who has expressed outrage over the declaration is drafting a letter of response and is contacting The Freedom From Religion Foundation.

-Resident of Winfield Response-

Mayor Randy Price,
    This is in response to your declaration of "One City Under God".
    First, please understand that I am writing this anonymously, in order to protect my family's safety. Secondly, the only information I have is from the Journal Record over the past few weeks, which stated in part "Mayor Price successfully pushing the Winfield City Council to declare Winfield as a "City Under God" and that God is the owner of the city, that the city acknowledges him, and that you feel the state and nation is in "an awful condition" that the nation needs to come back to God."
    I apologize if anything is misconstrued.
    I would like a response detailing exactly what your declaration entails if you don't mind. Thank you in advance.
    I find it admirable for individuals to have strong beliefs they stand firmly by. I fully respect every individuals right to worship and believe as they see fit. Many people look to religion and their God/s for happiness and comfort. As our local paper simply states: "What a novel idea". I am all for it, what a bore life would be without the different expressions of each other. However, the moment an individuals beliefs interfere with the rights of others, my support stops. I believe we can all agree with the premise that one should not tell another person what or how to believe. Part of the greatness this country was founded on was that I will not tell you what to believe just as you should not tell me what to believe. That freedom is one set in stone long ago through Separation of Church and State. The moment a government declares a specific religion for its people, by default, is the moment that the government acknowledges other religions are wrong, thus making those individuals following that religion second class citizens. By endorsing religion, you clearly send a message to non-believers that they are not welcome and are outsiders to the community. Even the local paper "Journal Record" states that those who might disagree are outsiders; December 31, 2014- Our Views: "Some were fearful that outsiders will raise a fuss..."
    We should welcome ALL beliefs. It is a diverse world Mr. Price. To declare and endorse only your specific religion is selfish and wrong to those of us who look to you for proper leadership and integrity.
    Every citizen benefits from the separation of church and state, although many Christians misunderstand its meaning. Allow me to clarify; separation is not a matter of being careful not to offend those people without religion or people who follow a minority religion. Nor is it an anti-religious principle. "Secular" only means "not based on religion"- it does not mean "hostile to religion". The purpose of separation is to protect religious liberty. As government becomes involved in religion, interpretations of the true meaning of "God" and "faith" inevitably drift toward one narrowly defined denominational vision. Many Christian denominations, including Baptists and Catholics, have actively supported separation to prevent their own religious identities being pushed aside by a different concept of God.
    The Southern Baptist conference understood the point so well that it included separation of church and state as one of its founding principles. The Southern Baptist adopted, in their "Baptist Faith and Message", these words: "The church should not resort to the civil power to carry on its work... The state has no right to impose penalties for religious opinions of any kind. The state has no right to impose taxes for the support of any form of religion." Only by consistently denying agents of government the right to make decisions about religion is our religious liberty secure.
    Allow me to quickly give a few basic ideas that form the underlining of separation of church and state:
    -Not all U.S. citizens hold the same opinions on religion and on important matters related to religion (like whether there is a God and, if so, what God's nature is; or, how or when or whether to worship God; or what God says to us about how to live). Everyone thinks he or she is right when it comes to religion. But not all citizens have the same beliefs on important religious matters.
    -Secondly, religious truth cannot be determined by votes or by force. In the United States, neither a majority of citizens nor the government acting on the majority's behalf can make religious decisions for individuals. Anyone who might disagree with this idea should consider this question: If a nationwide vote were taken this fall and 99 percent of U.S. voters disagreed with you on a religious matter, would that change your mind? If 99 percent of the citizens wanted this country to adopt Catholicism or Methodism or Islam or atheism as the right religious point of view, would you accept their decision? Would that convince you? And it's not just voting, it's the law itself, the power of government, in question here. Just consider the poor guy in Afghanistan who was almost convicted and put to death in 2006 for the crime of changing his religious beliefs.
    Freedom, especially religious liberty, is worth having and protecting Mayor Price.

Take note @odgen, that is how you respond to loonies... Succinctly.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Shit this would take VCAT decisions to a whole new level. Nobody would ever get anything sorted out!
  5. Only in America.....
  6. Might happen in Africa or the Arabic countries, but the former wouldn't get any attention and the latter, if it got covered, would be met with much wailing about those bloody extremist towelheads.
  7. god has always been into real estate....

or so churches would have you think ;)
  8. We'll certainly the Catholic Church has, they own a shit load of property apparently.