Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

GN250 Pivot shaft bolt seized

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by Sickly, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Hey guys,

I'm at my wits end trying to get the pivot shaft bolt out of an old GN250. I've tried a penetrating oil soak, anti seizure soak, freezing the bolt and belting it with a hammer. It is just not coming out.

Any tips for getting it through?

2. Heat it real good with a blow torch and let it cool down for about an hour or two. Then try whacking it out.

3. Thanks Kernel, now just to get my hands on a blowtorch haha.

4.  Top
  5. I heard of using a 50-50 mix of acetone and automatic transmission fluid as penetrating oil. The article I read said it was better than any commercial brew. Although if so good I have no idea why someone isn't selling it commercially.

Had a couple of bolts which had refused to shift even under a impact driver. So I mixed a bbrew and let soak for a day or two and tried to hit it with the impact driver but while I was trying to line up the bolt moved.

Worth a try. Kernels idea is also good as the expansion and contraction should help break the grip.

6. Thanks for the suggestion GreyBM. I've actually managed to get it rotating tightly in there, just have to try and tap it out now. I'll try that soak and give it another go tapping it out

7. had the same trouble with my gn250, got it out eventually & done some measurements ,swingarm pivot looked bent so being fussy got a second hand one for $50.00 pivot bolt slides in a lot easier, got me thinking as to whether or not this is a fault with the gn's as overall build quality (welds ,straightness,etc) seems to be very poor

8. I got it out! And I would have to agree micksing, the bolt is dry as a bone. I don't think Suzuki put anything more than a spray of oil on it when it went in.

I got it out by buying a 10mm flat drift punch from East Coast Auto Sales, who I really have to tip my hat to. I rushed over to get there before closing time, but arrived right on 5:30. They were happy to serve me though, and gave me some good advice as to how to get it out.

I had my girlfriend on one side with a breaker bar, spinning the bolt. I was on the other end with the drift and a small sledge. Would stop every 10 minutes to add more penetrating oil in the cracks and a bit over an hour later she popped out.

My advice to anyone else attempting this for the first time is to have PATIENCE, and hopefully all you spent was $20 on some good penetrating oil and the drift. I'd get frustrated 20 minutes in each day and give up, looking for another solution, when all I needed to do was keep going. Very happy :D

9. glad to see you got it out, I am lucky as i have a very comprehensive workshop & the knowledge to attack such jobs straight up, I think another problem with the gn250 is the poor general opinion of them & so they dont get a lot of time spent on trying to improve them, most people just upgrade to another bike but dont be dishartened by some of the comments on here, i am on a very limited budget so I am making a good bike out of an average one,it wont be a world beater or handle like a new bike but with a bit of attention it is a good cheap capable bike, I have ridden mine over 600k's fully laden at highway speeds no probs,hope it goes well for you & you get heaps of enjoyment out of it. & to all the knockers on here a motorbike is a motorbike & this is a bike community so stop dissing peoples choice of bikes as it makes some of you sound like elitist wankers