Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

GN250 Indicators

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Joosch, Feb 21, 2013.

1. You guys helped me a while back with fixing my brake light so i decided to come back looking for some more help haha

my front indicator was smashed when i accidentally dropped my bike a while back nothing else was damaged. i bought some indicators off ebay because i don't have much money, 4 LED indicators. me and my brother installed them all perfectly fine and we kept testing them to make sure they were on he was working on the back 2 while i worked on the front 2. i had my old indicator on the front and the new one on the back and both were working perfectly but as soon as i took out the old front one to put the new one on the back one stopped working. i thought i just had to finish it all up before it would all work but now with all 4 put in and wired up correctly nothing happens when i turn them on.

If i start the bike though and then turn the indicators on they flash for half a second then they turn off and dont flash anymore, all 4 will flash for half a second if i turn them on but nothing else. i thought because it being a gn250 1990 the flasher was just electronic so i went and paid $35 for a LED flasher thinking that might fix the problem but still nothing. the front light still turns on and works perfectly fine everything else works just nothing from the indicators.

if anyone can help me out that would be great i'd love to fix it so i can ride to tafe tomorrow.
  2. i just read somewhere that the bike might think that the low watt LEDs are actually burnt out bulbs and i need load resistors? is this something it could be?
  3. an LED flasher unit usually negates the requirement for load resistors.

does one side work and the other not? or do both sides do the same thing?
  4. all 4 do the same thing, i start the bike i turn the indicator on and then that side flases for half a second then it goes off then i need to turn the bike back off and on again for it to flash for half a second.

i bought a load resistor for $15 and i am having a hard time figuring out where it needs to go, splice one onto positive of the indicator and splice another onto the negative of the indicator but does that mean i need 4 altogether (one for each)
  5. You only need load resistors if you don't have a LED rated flasher can. If you use load resistors you need two, one for the left and one for the right. They go between the positive and negative to increase the current draw (wattage) of the flasher lights.

It doesn't sound like you have an LED flasher can, check the specifications on it.
  6. friend of my brothers came over and had a look and it turns out my LED flasher was the problem if i use my old electronic flasher with 2 load resistors they all work perfectly fine, a little slow flashing but better than nothing. I thought the LED flasher would speed the flashing of the indicators up but it didn't they don't even turn on.
  7. legally in NSW, the indicators need to flash between 1 and 2Hz (between 1 and 2 times a second). i wouldn't imagine other states would be much different, if at all

just something to keep in mind
  8. yeah i got it all sorted today with another load resistor, they were really slow when the bike was turned off but once turned on they go at a normal rate :D