Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

GN250 capable at highway speeds?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by MeltingDOg, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Hi all,

I am a new rider and have pretty much a good, solid learner bike - a Suzuki GN250.

I want to take this bike on a bit of a road trip. It can do highway speeds (100kph) but it doesnt have much more to give after that (websites Ive looked rate it topping out at around 120kph).

I'm fine with not going to much faster then 100 but what I am concerned about is wearing out the engine or causing it damage. The bike redlines at 8.5k and cruises at 100 between 6 and 6.5k.

So would running the bike at 100kph for 2+ hours cause any excessive wear or damage?
  2. I think you should be right, I ran my sachs 150 at highway speeds for about half an hour both ways and the engine never complained, and that thing had about 2k revs up on your motor at highway speeds, 100 was pretty much its top speed. So yeah, you'll be ok. Maybe I suggest, especially since you're new to bikes that you stick a decent sized windshield on it before you go? You'll thank yourself if you do. If not, make sure you take regular breaks. Also, your behind will thank you for a new seat or something else to make your current seat more comfortable, like a sheepskin pad. Congrats on your first bike.
    Edit: Might also be a good idea to let the engine have a rest and cool down every 45 minutes or so. Pour water over it.
  3. Do not pour water over a hot engine, ever, That will destroy it,
  4. It'll be fine. Do the trip and don't worry about the bike. I've kept little Jap singles pinned for 12 hours at a stretch, stopping only for fuel at the limit of the tank range and at the end of it they still idled on the stand like I'd just been down to the shops.

Don't rest it, don't pour water over it, just ride the bloody thing :D.
  5. Allright just to prove I am a newb: what exactly would a windshield do that a helmet with a visor wouldnt?
  6. It'll keep the windblast off and so give your arm and neck muscles an easier time. It would also keep you a bit warmer and dryer if the weather turns nasty, though not much. You really need a proper fairing to make a big difference in weather protection.

However, at 100km/h I'd question the necessity unless it's particularly cold and wet, because the wind forces involved simply aren't that big. You'll cope OK if your state of fitness is anywhere above "able to walk 50m unassisted".
  7. 6.5k rpm is fine. As long as it's well serviced, GN250 will run all day at 100kph with no problems. Change the oil, lube the cables, check the chain adjustment and go have fun. :)

Edit: +1 to Deadman. Do not go pouring water on the engine. Those air cooled Japanese engines are very solid and you won't need to worry. Tipping water on it will only risk damage.
  8. Wow first time i've heard someone actually recommend pouring water over a hot engine thats been running near its limits especially... i hope you dont do that too often to your own bike. You might find some things cracking under the sudden change of temperature.
  9. Oh right, lol. I did it on the exhaust of a 50cc scooter I had that did not like the environment it was in.
  10. Yes, as others have said, it'll do it fine, just as my old SR185 did, just as the GN250 I rode for an hour from Apollo Bay onwards did. Much better than a windscreen for a bike of that size doing that kind of run is a stone fairing - they really do make a difference to speed on such a bike, provided you huddle down behind them. But in any case you don't really need either; a windscreen it a nice luxury (which I'm intending to purchase for my Virago - nothing wrong with luxuries!). It'll negatively affect the handling a little and slow the bike a little.

When you've stopped for a half hour break, before riding on...always check the oil!

Repeat: always check the oil!

the oil!

the oil!

The bike will be fine, but old singles running hard can drink a bit, or a lot, of oil on a run even if they drank nothing in the same conditions the day before. On my old bikes I used to take 500ml of oil spare in my gear.

I helped a friend buy and maintain one of these bikes. She blew up the motor. I found another for $200 - that was a couple of years ago - and it still gets her around. Good bike!
  11. A GN250 is capable of maintaining highway speeds providing there is no head wind and you don't go up anything that remotely looks like a hill.
  12. Hi guys - thought I would give an update. Didnt get to go on my trip - the weather was terrible. But I did get the chance to take it on a motorway for a more prolonged period then before. Heres what I found:

-I used 98octance which it chewed through faster but performance was dramatically better. It felt more smooth too - like it was pinging less (but Im not sure). Even the engine note sounded improved.

-It cruised at 6.5k rpm (redlines at 8.5k). Seemed to do this comfortably.

-Could probably wind it up to 110-115 to overtake if needed too.

-Was far more bumpy then at 80 or even 90kph - Partly because of the wind but also it felt as though the wheels needed balancing.
  13. The extra thirst is more likely to it being wide open for a long period rather than fuel choice. The extra octane may help when the engine is good and hot. I've known a few air cooled engines that would pink in hot conditions on regular but behaved themselves on premium. If it feels happier, go for it. It won't hurt anything but your wallet.
  14. This is unusual. You don't need to go any higher than needed to prevent pinging to get the best performance. If it pings on 91RON, then maybe you got an old batch (fuel goes off over time). If not, then try 95 and you may find it runs a little better at less expense.

Yes, it should perform fine. That little donk should be almost unbreakable. Those sort of revs won't hurt it all.

Yep. I would be surpsed if you could red line the thing in top gear. It should run out of puff before it gets to risky revs in top.
    If there was anything wrong with the wheel balance, then you'd have probably noticed at lower speeds.

There are two main causes of this sensation. The first is holding the bars too tight. New riders tend to get a bit nervous when they first hit the highays and "death grip" the handlebars. To fix this, you need to grip a little tighter with your knees and relax your arms. Over time you will become used to the sensation of speed and this should cease to be an issue.

The other common cause is lack of tyre pressure. If you don't have enough air in the hoops, they tend to wiggle and move around a bit at higher speeds. Check the recomended pressure (either on the swing arm or consult your manual) and add 2-3 psi for any highway riding.