Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by Misty, Sep 3, 2005.

1. Hi all

I've been riding for a while and I finally got around to getting myself some gear.
    So I went out and bought the lot - jacket, pants, boots & gloves.

The rest of it is great (even though I haven't had a chance to try it out yet as I have an ear infection and would probably fall off if I tried to ride)

But I just can't seem to get the gloves right.
    They are Dririder Apex (I think) and seem to do up fairly tight around the arm - so they don't fit over the sleeve of the jacket, but they are not comfy under the sleeve of the jacket.

It seems such a silly question, but should they go under or over?

Or maybe I should just return them and get a different pair?

Cheers :D
  2. I brought this subject up last night at coffee with "martyh" and "Sasha"

It's hard sometimes knowing what item of clothing will suit your needs and how well it will perform or last..........

Most winter gloves are designed to go over the sleeve which is fine in light rain or simply cold dry days, but i find placing the gauntlet of the glove under the cuff of the jackets sleeve far better to stop a down pour running down the outside of your jackets sleeve and into the glove.

your best bet if youve just bought them is to take them back and try on others with your bike jacket on, to find a comfortable pair.

"gsxr1000" just purchased a pair that im very interested in......... joe rocket NITROGEN GLOVES, they have a 3 layer construction with a GEL PALM to absorb vibration and the Cuff looks like it can contract easily enough to under a jacket sleeve or expand to go over as well.
    Also when i tried them on the warmth was felt straight away, one of the 3 layers is the waterproof lining.

he purchased his for $119
    not that you tell tell, but the gloves are quite light weight AND VERY supple

cheers ratty
  3. Word of caution Ratbag - they look like a newer/uprated version of the Joe Rockets I wear all year 'round. If that's the case (I swear, they look exactly like that) then I'd steer clear. Mine were starting to fall apart after a month, and now after a year they need replacement.

Not even close to waterproof, either, despite their claims that they are. Only advantage is that they seemed relatively comfy (until they're falling to bits, like mine).
  4. :( but they feel so nice and warm...........

i'll wait and see what Graeme ( gsxr1000 ) says about his after a month or so, i hate wasting hard earned money on products that fall apart.
  5. My rule of thumb seems to be gloves go under if it's an all weather textile jacket.. and over if it's a leather jacket. I guess whatever feels right.

One thing to note is that i used to have my gloves on the outside with the all weather, then ended up getting rain trickling down my jacket INTO my gloves! :( Assuming i'm weather leather, it's not going to rain. ;)
  6. Thanks for that.

I'd go for tucking them under the sleeve, but there's a big chunky padded protective bit on the gaulntlet bit, which makes it a a pain in the bum to tuck under the sleeve.
    I haven't taken the tags off yet, so I might take them back and see what else there is.

The shop guy will probably run and hide when he sees me coming - I raved at him at great length about the lack of decent women's bike gear

Cheers :D