Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

glove warmth after being exposed to rain

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by teodons, Jun 10, 2010.

1. A couple of weeks ago, I got a pair of Alpinestars WR-3 Goretex Gloves for winter riding. The night I got them and for the next few days they did me just fine for early morning and night riding. Last week on Thursday though, I got caught riding home in the rain, total duration of that ride was roughly 1 hour. During this time, the rain was heavy and the gloves were quite wet by the time I got home. My hands were nice and dry though.

I left them to dry in the laundry room, but with the wet weather and general humidity, they didn't dry fully overnight. On Saturday [2 days after getting soaked] I put them up on a clothes line in sunlight for about 2 hours. When I tried putting them on after this, I noticed they were a bit moist on the inside, like inside all the linings.

They were fine when I used them during the day, but subsequently, riding in the early morning or night it seems that they are not as warm as they used to be. Like I remember when I first wore them, my hands were very snug. Now my fingers get very cold, like painfully cold.

I'm not sure if it's just because the weather changed that drastically or if there's something wrong with the gloves themselves. Is it possible for them to have gotten damaged due to the rain? I wouldn't expect so since they're allegedly waterproof, but still.

Anyone else have those gloves and used them in the rain? Did you find they still "work" normally after getting wet? Or did I just buy into the Goretex marketing hype?! If so, I blame George Costanza.
  2. Evaporation has a cooling effect, try drying the gloves out completely, then have another go.

I doubt the gloves are damaged.
  3. It's also been appreciably colder the last few nights and early mornings out in the Hills district. That plus the possibility they are not 100% dry would make them feel less efficient than previously.

Fun Ha!
  4. How can I make sure they're thoroughly dried through? I've read that you should avoid heating gloves, but would a blow dryer on the inside be alright?

It's just that it has now been a full week [minus a few hours] since they got wet, so I would have expected them to be completely dry by now. This morning was still painfully cold though.
  5. You can't. Back when I rode year round in the UK, gear might stay damp for months at a time, especially if you were too poor to avoid heating. Over summer, when the rain was warm, it might take on an attractive green tinge. Aaaaah, the feeling of climbing into moist leather on a cold morning, and the smell of the rich fog as I sat against the radiator in lectures on a soggy morning. One of my major outlays in those days was patchouli. The thought makes me quite nostalgic. Not.
  6. this. Its been bloody cold. I swear the temp of the water coming out of our tap dropped by ten degrees three days ago and hasn't gone back since :(
  7. Time for Plan B then, wool gloves underneath the Goretex :D .. might be a tight squeeze though.
  8. just re-read your post.

isnt the whole point of goretex that it is waterproof?
  9. That's what I figured, but there was definitely some level of dampness inside after I hung them out to dry on Saturday. The day and a half they spent in the laundry room after getting wet wouldn't have resulted in much evaporation [it rained a lot on Friday].
  10. Goretex stops water but not steam, this allows perspiration to escape and rain not to get in.

In the meantime until they dry do what i do, latex gloves underneath are great!
  11. Have you thought of putting them in a clothes dryer??....
  12. Unless the wool is very fine or you wear loose gloves then it might be a bit hard to wear them. Have a look at some synthetic fibre or synth/superfine wool "inner gloves". Most camping/hiking or ski outlets will have them.

I bought some the other day. This is what I bought. Same price but different shop (no website). They made a massive difference. Hands are still cold but no longer the blocks of immovable ice that they were - and this is with the decreased temps after I got the liner gloves.

If you do get some inners or liners then take your bike gloves along and try both on at the saem time. Leave them on for a bit to see if you have any pressure points caused by the inners.

But damn I am glad I don't ride to work! This morning was fracking feezing in the Hills! (y)

Fun Ha!
  13. Silk inners work pretty good (ski stores).

If the climate is not very low humidity you won't get rid of all the moisture until summer, so they probably won't be perfect 'til it doesn't matter.
    No glove really keeps out the cold but an important trick to keeping your hands warm is not letting your arms get cold. If the blood is still warm when it gets to your hands it makes a huge difference.
  14. Sweet, thanks for the tips. I'll look into getting some thin gloves to wear underneath.

Jacket's got a thermal layer, so my arms and core are pretty much fine. The gauntlet design of the gloves also means air can't get in through the sleeves. Quite happy with the jacket really, last night was windy like anything but my chest/arms were doing swell.
  15. Thin inner gloves work out of all proportion to their thickness. Silk is nice, but years ago I got some thin cotton gloves from a surplus store for about $2 a pair and they worked nearly as well, even in arctic conditions.
  16. get some heated hand grips!
    I think the goretex is an inner liner so if the outer of the gloves is wet you'll get cold from evaporation as the wind blows over them.
  17. It may be that the water and subsequent drying has cause the leather to pull at the stitching. I find that my old leather gloves are about twice as warm after I wax them.

They are also about 4 times as waterproof.

You only have to do it once or twice a year. After that they will put up with a bit of rain. Being new, yours may need doing.

Be warned however. Some people claim this can weaken the stitching. I'm yet to find any definitive evidence of this.

Also your gloves will grubby you visor and will be sticky on the levers for about a week after application.
  18. Hey ibast, what do you wax them with? A product like Dubbin or something different?
  19. Yeah I assume dubbin is like what I use. I'm not even sure where I got the stuff I use. It's basically a leather conditioner.
  20. I'm ready to try anything after this morning. I found my thin pair of cotton gloves and put them on under the Alpinestars. It was a tight fit and restricted my dexterity significantly. I kept them on anyways, since it was very frosty outside. A good thing too because despite having them on, I couldn't feel my hands by the time I got in to work.

Are the silk ones from a ski shop going to be significantly warmer than cotton gloves?

Should I maybe look into getting a proper set of winter gloves?

I was resisting getting heated hand grips on my learner bike, but may have to go for it if it gets much worse D:

Or am I just being a wuss and is this sort of cold normal?

I want to get a better idea of what other commuters wear during the winter, especially in the cold frosty mornings.