Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Glove liners

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by I am the Stig..., May 27, 2008.

1. Now it's started getting colder, apart from noticing my rear view mirrors fogging/freezing up on a recent ride in the twisties, my fingers are getting a tad numb in the cold with only my MotoGP Nitrous racing gloves...

Seen some (alpinestars I think) liners in a large chain store here in Adelaide for $17, but was wondering if there are any better deals out there....

Also - what's best for riding from people's experience: merino wool with lycra or silk with lycra?

2. Check out the likes of Aussie Disposals and the various camping/outdoors stores. They may have some thinsulate glove liners, or very thin gloves that may fit under your bike gloves.

As for the ultimate gloves, I'd have to vote on mittens. Your fingers are all together and provide warmth for each other. Plus, individual fingers have wind blowing between them so there is less protection there.

I had a pair of leather mittens that had wool lining. They were brilliant, but when I lost one of them the bike shop couldn't source any more. That was back in the early 80s. I have no idea of anyone sells anything like that these days.

I'm so tempted to buy a pair of ski gloves. Most bike gloves that I've seen offer little protection for the palms of your hands anyway and that's where you're most likely to suffer injuries. Perhaps you're better off with something like ski gloves.

Thoughts, anyone?
  3. Merino, every time.

I have merino inner gloves, merino tshirts, merino pants and even a VERY expensive merino jacket. All exceptional in the warmth stakes.

Sure, the poly thermals are warm [not as warm as merino], but what won me over is the ability merino has to wick moisture away from your skin and the fact that merino has natural antibacterial properties, which makes for far less smelly thermals.

All comes down to how much you're prepared to fork out for your thermals, but if you have the cash, I've go the merino route.