Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[Global] This is what we are facing

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by Transformer, Jul 11, 2010.

1. In reading with interest of some of the threads that are flying around the place and activity in re-butting the Vic authorities in their anti-motorcycle stance here is a link that may be of value in understanding where pressure is coming from.

In an earlier thread I mentioned a fact of “Road Safety Vision 2020”.

The above is the instrument by which this vision is being propagated.

The fight we are facing is global not just Aus. or state by state.

We (as in Motorcyclists) are being phased out of existence via this incremental demand on safety.

Most of what I have known is through many years of working in journalism.

Cheers, and comments.
  2. They sound worthy goals, the trick will be forcing governments to me accountable. Governments will tend to take the easy way and make it be seen like they are doing something rather than actually achieving improvements. The hysteria over speed is a classic example. We need to be more supportive of the political lobby groups that speak up for motorcyclists.

In the plan there are basically two points for Motorcyclists, encouraging Helmets, a done deal hear by legislation and the second :

promoting research and development and related knowledge transfer activities
    into infrastructure safety improvements for low and middle-income country road
    environments (e.g. safer facilities for pedestrians, cyclists, motorcyclists, public
    transport users and street vendors; low cost barrier technologies for high speed
    road environments; etc)

In Victoria the MRA and VMAC are already doing this by requesting design changes to dangerous roadside signage etc.
  3. where do you get the "we are being phased out" bit from?

as a journalist, i am sure you have been to asia and seen how commonplace the motorcycle is. there is no way they will "phase" this form of transport.
  4. Phased out in terms of contributing countries that are subscribing to these initiatives.
    Asia / India are not yet included in the strategic timelines – Europe, U.S., Aus. Etc. are.
    The 2020 vision is to substantially reduced road traffic deaths.

The U.N. cooperative is incrementally moving the goal posts which at this stage is:
    - improved safety features,
    - improved vehicle safety features.

If you read into the materials a bit further and do some more research you will find that those points are just to stabilise road death numbers.

The reduction in global deaths is by introducing smart / intelligent road management systems and vehicles. This will be ~2015 - 2020 (or knowing most strategies, a few years latter).

Motorcycles have been identified as having limits to safety capability and beyond a certain point will no longer qualify as road transport.

The purpose of this info is just to put some context to the overall picture of why there is such a driving force behind speed limits, hooning and driving behaviours.
  5. check out the veitnam thread in multimedia. Imagine all those bikes being replaced by cars.

Those various asian (india is included in asia) cities simply could not cope without the motorcycle. We are talking in excess of 20-30 million people in areas simliar to sydney or melbourne. Motorbikes won't be phased out, it just won't happen.
  6. Netrider is due this week to be re-named Martyrdom Central :roll:.
  7. only by those with their heads in the sand:roll:
  8. can you explain that statement hornet?
  9. Come on Lilley, nobody is proposing that will be the case. You're comparing third world countries with ours.

Some countries may not qualify for the phasing out of motorcycles, but that doesn't automatically mean all of them aren't. It may be a global proposal that's put forward, but as with any other global proposition, not all countries are needed to participate for it to be implemented.
  10. Would you prefer Slave Central?

Stay out of politics and go back to the religious threads hornet, you have nothing to contribute here.
  11. Since I'm a Moderator of the Politics forum, that's hardly likely, nor is your opinion on this subject, or any other, of any greater value than mine.

As for slave central, when you've lived a little you'll realise that this sort of hysteria is always around, and has been used for more evil than it ever has for good......
  12. So moderate it don't troll it, or don't bother pulling the moderator card again. There's a difference between contributing your opinion and dropping your little nuggets of shite in threads.
  13. currently, perhaps. But two things.

1) India in particular is well on its way to becoming a fairly major world player. It has the fastest growing economy in the world and the fourth largest economy in the world and a huge labour source. While you could still call it a third world country, I don't think it will be in that category for much longer.

2) world population isn't going to go down, neither is most national populations, nor most urban populations. The ratio concentration of urban population to rural population increases every year. New york has almost 20 million people and LA is over 10. I'm quite surprised there hasn't been a larger shift to ptw there. It may have something to do with having multiple working centres to each city. As the number of cars increases congestion increases and fuel price goes up, people will see that advantages of ptw transport, as we saw in the previous years in this country.
  14. Yeah mate i agree, the boffins are always looking to to sustain greater populations within their borders, and ptw transport would facilitate that, but it comes with a high cost in terms of injuries, although I imagine that would pale into insignificance compared to the infrastructure needed to support the increase in cars. Perhaps the solution lies somewhere in between with a push towards smaller cars?

15. That certainly is a solution. London and Paris have already seen this.
  16. Hornet does have a point though Chef.

Paranoia and motorcycling are intertwined, stepping back from the situation occassionally is a good thing.

The Government has been on about motorcycles since they were invented, but we can still ride today.

Hell, we are even riding more powerful machines in the bubble wrap age than what was ridden in the 70s.

This whole thing reeks of last minute election time crackdown on a visible and often antagonistic minority group that are easily labelled.

I doubt there is a big picture, you've just got a problem with a few guys at the top of the bureaucracy/police force.
  17. Mate you're right, it can easily turn into tin foil hat time if it's taken too far, and i'm more interested in looking at agendas than conspiracies.

I believe there is an agenda towards us in Victoria and by the looks of it there may be one in NSW as well.

I don't particularly mind if hornet has or wants to share his opinion, irrespective of whether he's in agreement or not. I just don't enjoy opening a discussion to find he hasn't actually said anything of any value which is why I'll give him a spray when he does it.

You've no doubt articulated what he was thinking, if he bothered to take the time he could of done it himself.

As to the whether there is a conspiracy against riders, I don't think so. There's many parallels between cars and us in regard to policy. Hoon drivers have come under the same scrutiny as us. Operation pipedown was aimed at both groups. Tinted windows are on the radar of something they will target, just as fender illuminators and after market indicators will be targeted with us. Both groups are targeted for smoked indicator lenses. Cars are targeted for having too louder a stereo, we'll be targeted for tinted visors. All of those things will be claimed to be facets of hooning, none of them will make any difference to the roadtoll.

There is a bigger picture, just not sure what it is yet.

18. I apologise for being too subtle, but if you can't see that there has been a level of hysteria and paranoia about legal and political matters over the last few months I'm not sure that you've been on the same forum .......
  19. I'm not so pessimistic.

I don't believe there is any general agenda in Victoria - actually apart from some individuals the attitude to motorcycling has improved. The Victorian Transport and Safety Strategic Plan was put forward at the 1st World Motorcyclists Conference a couple of weeks ago.

The first reports n progress against this strategy are due shortly, I'll keep people informed.

Shaun Lennard (AMC Chair attended) - his comments

Some countries (e.g. Norway) are working on incorporating motorcycles in to their safety strategies

Norwegian authorities have recently opened a stretch of highway designed with the safety of motorcyclists in mind.
    The Vision Zero Motorcycle Road is a nine-mile stretch of RV 32, a highway in Telemark County, southwest of Oslo, Norway.

Telemark Road Authority engineers Jan Petter Lyng and Bjørn R. Kirste designed the highway with features recommended by motorcyclists including: crash barriers fitted with a sub-rail, safely placed signposts, and more forgiving terrain running along the side of the road. The total estimated cost for these modifications is just under US$1 million.

full article here...

Had there been real anti-motorcycle sentiment the strategy would never have gotten up. Not that there's anything to be complacent about; as we've seen recently we need to be extremely vigilent.

The issues that are bothering a lot of people here are not purely motorcycle issues - inappropriate speed camera usage, poorly thought out speed limits, overly restrictive laws with an emphasis on areas that make money and don't necessarily improve safety etc.
  20. Still, I'd say there is merit in the belief that motorcycles would be on the table for a phase out. Too dangerous a form of transport to be of benefit to the wider community.

But if you give the Government a list of reasons why motorcycles can contribute (congestion, lower fuel consumption, less of a danger to others in crashes etc) then the safety factor could be overlooked.

They dont really care that much about our safety, so it's not hard to convince them to overlook it.

BTW, Chef, the reason why I am really interested in the whole Ken Law thing is NSW has a tendency to copy Victorian policies and attitudes RE policing. We are the copycat state, so if Brumby gets something negative up for bikes I can bet the Keneally Govt will as well.

Just being pre-emptive here ;)