Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Global Atheist Convention - Melbourne

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by TRA, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Any netriders going? I fly in Friday night, and out Sunday, but should be plenty of time for beers in between that.

2. An Atheist convention?

I find that hard to believe.

\\:D/

3. Let's all meet up to talk about things we think don't exist!!!

4. What on earth do you do?
    Sit around saying 'nah'? Plot the overthrow of the vatican?

Or is this just a cover for going the the grand prix?

5. Obviously non believers arent welcome.......or is that are welcome???? Im confused.

6. #6 hornet, Mar 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    I don't believe it's on, actually!

7. http://www.atheistconvention.org.au/program/
    Talks, lectures and discussions on religion, atheistism and their impact on politics and society?

I wont be going. If the nutters leave me alone I leave them alone.

8. Bloody fundamentlists. This is why I like my church. Unless it's during a Sermon, I never hear the minister talk about God. But these people.

BTW, couldn't be bothered clicking on link, bet it's really preachy.

9. Its only a slice of the atheist community. Its quite american dominated, and will contain preachy stuff sometimes. Eg PZ Myers is a particularly strange fame-pandering misandrist radfem, only an atheist in the sense that religion is competition to his popularity.

On the upside Ayaan Hirsi Ali is becoming one of the 4 horseman I believe, which is pretty badass.

10. One of the things I love most about having no religion is not having to go listen to people talking about their beliefs. Doesn't this defeat the whole purpose of being an atheist?

11. You people seem to be mistaking Atheists with cartoon Anarchists :p

There's no hypocrisy or strangeness in people with similar common sense ideas (+the standard minority nutters anything attracts) sharing them together in groups ffs

12. Possibly. There's no doubt that the dominant image of religion which militant atheists rail against is North American evangelism. Not that the political weight of Catholicism or the exotic bogeyman of militant Islam aren't significant, but they are definitely minor in comparison. Its interesting that of the big names who are speaking (as they appear to me) - Geoffrey Robinson, Daniel Dennett, AC Grayling, Richard Dawkins, Peter Singer - only Dennett is American.

Sorry, what? Don't you leave the house or turn on the radio? :-s

This bit I have no problem with. I think it's quite apt.

This bit, however...

What's wrong with the intention behind the slogan "No Gods! No Masters!"? ;) (Unfortunately, I'm beginning to suspect that the only image of anarchists that people come across is of the cartoon variety.)

If anyone is interested (prob not, but anyway... ) I've just discovered this excellent 6-part Granada television documentary from 1983 about the Spanish Civil War. Look here. Their attempt to take an impartial line leads to some slight misrepresentations, but on the whole its extremely good, and has some interesting stuff on the Anarchist revolution in Catalonia, Aragon, Navarre and Valencia.

13. This thread could get interesting :popcorn:

14. Huh? Nothing wrong with it i guess. Wasn't trying to make any statement about actual Anarchists, hence the cartoon distinction.

I don't find them all that interesting beyond being amused that it seems to be the single most badly misrepresented position in existence :D

15. I'd just rather not complicate life further with discussion about how much I do or don't believe in anything. The major downfall with religion is caring about what others think of the subject. The most extreme atheists are as bad as the religous and this convention sounds like a hot bed if them.

16. Indeed.

I am too pissed to argue it all tonight, but I shall read it all in the morning maybe. I bought a ticket mainly to see Hitchins, who has had a massive influence on my life. Sad that I wont see him, but there is still going to be some great speakers, dawkins, dennnet, harris among others.

BTW. I like these people, because everytime I think I have a good opinion on some topic, they force me to rethink that from another point of view. Hard to explain, but a great feeling.

17. Atheists should keep their views to themselves......................:p

18. Religious parents shouldn't indoctrinate their children before they have a chance to think for themselves. Maybe we can finally end this cycle of ignorance and anti-science. Luckily the Americans get it much worse than we do which is why the movement is seen a predominantly American thing.

19. its coz weird stuff always happens in America, where parents let their kids run wild for fear that they will be sued and divorced by their kids :-s:-s.

WTF has science got to do with atheists.............these guys dont believe and thats that. I still dont see the point in them trying to make you believe their non beliefs.......

20. And where are they trying to do that then?