Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Glad I changed my filthy oil today

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by rdkls, Dec 6, 2014.

1. Yes that's a little moth. Previous owner must never have done it I guess, service book had first two services then nothing else (10ks on it). I feel like someone who rescued an abused dog, bike must love me now :)

Attached Files:

2. Actually the oil doesn't look terrible. Black, with lots of microscopic sparkly bits in it is not what you want to see There is a certain transparency about it, but those bits - well they are the sign of neglect and possible abuse. The first oil change, or the first oil change after a rebuild will often show some debris, particularly with a new owner. Due to rough shifts & parts having hard edges initially. I hope you changed the filter.

Is that a "water ring" on the fringe of the oil? (a little creaminess) You didn't say whether your bike was water or air cooled. If air cooled, it would be condensation, if water cooled, it could be condensation or the early signs of a water leak (Head gasket?) Possibly it's been overheated in the past. Change oil a little early next time (maybe half the recommended interval) and look for this. If it is not there, it's of no concern.

The Moth? Most likely the previous owner used a dirty funnel to put the oil in. It was just lying on a shelf in the shed (forbid, possibly on the floor) Moths stick to oil wet surfaces where they die and remain and get poured in with the next lot of oil. Sometimes careless people use the same funnel to transfer oil into a storage container as they use to fill their bike with new. A certain amount of mechanical debris from the transfer, plus sawdust etc. will get back into the engine this way. If you use a funnel to fill your bike with oil, ensure it is very clean.

Good onya for your interest in the maintenance of your bike. Oil changes are one of the most important maintenance tasks an owner can perform.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. That bikes got issues. That is an aweful lot of metal pieces
  4. Thanks for the tips jstavajstava will do!
  5. I can't see the picture, but oil always looks shitty after about 3000km. What you learn to look for is the viscosity. Unit design engines sees sheer stress placed on the oil, that wouldn't be present in car engines.

If it's really thin, then that's an indicator it was changed too late.
  6. Is that from your Daytona? What year is it?

I'd check the cam chain tensioner. ;)
  7. I can see the picture this morning. Yes, that's much more than a normal amount of metal. Is it white metal, or aluminium? it it were white metal, I'd be expecting it to be making some serious thumping noises.

Maybe a cam chain tension went (as blackadder suggest) and the loose chain wore away the casing. If so, it may not be the end of the world.
  8. Can't work out what I'm looking at. What's the round mesh thing?
  9. Now I think my post isn't so interesting, but after the change I was overly happy I did it :] But thanks for the comments & curiosity.
    Did look like a lot of gunk, but I suspect it was just because hadn't been done in a while.

blackadderblackadder not daytona (was stolen) it's from my 2011 s1000rr

titustitus sorry didn't explain - the wire mesh was the filter after I strained the dirty oil back into container. It had sediment (mostly dirt), couple mm thick across it (quite a bit)

ibastibast yep quite a bit of metal, aluminium. Excuse my noobiness but what would white metal be from?

jstavajstava I didn't notice any water or such effects, but next change (sooner) will inspect for such.

Anyways my plan is, as jstavajstava suggested do another in a thousand kms or so and see what that's like, then if there's still a lot of crap, yeap needs work.
  10. "white metal" look like a bit of a compressed compound and it's used in bearings. So it means you have a main or big-end bearing failure.

It's quite soft. To be honest, unless you know what it is, I doubt you will be able to tell the difference to aluminium. Unless it had a gold tinge to it.

You would hear it if you did have that sort of failure.
  11. rdkis - others may differ, but I'm pretty much aligned with "if it aint broke, don't fix it." Let your ears be the judge.

It costs nearly the same to go looking for a problem which may or may not be there.

Scrutiny of the oil is useful as an early indicator that something is coming, but it is close attention to how your engine and gearbox are working that's the teller and the trigger in deciding to break it down and see what the problem is.
  12. Thanks again for the tips!
    Took it around reefton (twice :) today and it's feeling awesome