Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

GIXXER gives up after only 5000 km's

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by uncorider11, Aug 4, 2006.

1. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :cry:

Riding to work a few weeks ago my K5 GSX-R600 goes K-BOOM!!!!!

At only 5000km's I didn't expect my cam-chain tentioner to fail, What the????????????

The damage? Total engine re-build! :evil:

Am I the only person that thinks that 'this just shouldn't happen so early and I deserve a replacement bike'? Suzuki Warranty, Melbourne, don't give two toots and Office of fair trading tell me I don't have a leg to stand on! I purchased a new bike to avoid this shit!!

I would love to hear your thoughts on:

Should I be concerned with a re-built engine so early?
    How does this affect the life of my new bike?
    Would you be as pissed off as I am in the same situation?
    Has anyone delt with Team moto, Virginia, QLD?

2. :shock: :shock: :evil:
    Dude, not cool!

I'd be worried about a re-build. Someone killed a rocker in my bike before I got her, and I could have replaced the engine for the cost of repairing it.

And I would be absolutely FUMING if it was me.

Other than that, I can't say.

sux, man. :( :evil: :evil:

3. Shouldn't a bike have something like 2 year (unlim/some semi high num ber) of KMs warranty for things like that?

*edit* Ah I thought you had to pay for it, I guess you don't after re-reading. Can't help about an engine rebuild and its cons. Seeing as suzuki don't even give a rats for people able to take test rides I guess they don't give a rats about a replacement bike instead of rebuild.

4. Well I don't know that you deserve a replacement bike, but I reckon they at least owe you a replacement motor (and not a rebuilt one!).

5. I suppose I'd want a whole new engine.

Going for a whole new bike after 5000k is asking a bit.

6. wow only 5k thats pretty bad, why isn't it covered under warranty. That's bullshit, i would be super pissed. I just hit 6K on mine and its running beautiful (knock on wood)

where's vics comment lol

7. I think it is, they're rebuilding his engine but he wants a whole new bike.

8. Replacement bike is going a bit far!

I certainly wouldn't be happy at having the engine rebuilt, and would demand a new one, especially as it will effect the resale value of the bike if you sell it with the service history (at least I wouldn't touch it!).

I thought that it would have cost the dealer more to rebuild the negine (labour, parts) than to order a new one!!

Tough luck, even in this day and age mechanical components fail, guess you were on the wrong end of it. We've (well, not all of us!) get it pretty lucky with new bikes, and just expect everything to work sometimes, when in actual fact, the occasional part that fails to meet specifications will find it's way into the bike.

9. I don't think they are obliged to replace the whole bike. But at least you should get a new engine not a rebuilt one.

Did you ask Suzuki to replace the whole engine instead of rebuilt?

10. The thing I'd be most pi$sed about is having to run it in again, at 5000k you've just got it done.

11. As soon as I saw the topic I chuckled.

Then I read the story and felt for him.

Totally sucks dood. 5K and then boom. So the tensioner caused the chain to jump off the cogs?

Ive had 2 cam chain tensioners go on me at low speed though(800 & 1600km), replaced the tensioner and all was good.

Id be demanding a new engine not a rebuilt one.

Asking for a new bike will just have you laughed at. The entire bike didnt fail, it was just the powerplant.

12. Suzuki wty book says they will repair OR replace at their discretion. If it is rebuilt correctly it should be as good as a new one anyway.

I would think a different engine number from a new engine would be a bigger deterent........... to me anyway, than a rebuilt engine, that he need not have noted on the service handbook if he doesn't present the book to the dealer when it's done, therefore making it completely unknown to any potential buyer in the future.

It's bad luck dude, but it's not the end of the world, we never know what has happened to the bike before we got it, why should we worry now? It could very well have thrown a chain in production QC testing and have been rebuilt already?? We just don't know.

I would be happy with the rebuild and certainly NOT want a new engine and engine number.

13. :shock:

Thanks for input everyone, it seems like most people would rather a new engine? Including myself.

Suzuki DID offer me a new engine but the only way I could do this is order it from the assembly line, Japan, which could take up to 3 months!! Yeah right, I'll just take a few months off work, I'll catch up on my bills!!

Plus I was also concerned about having a different VIN - as Triway previously stated.

Anyway, I finally got her back today after a 3 week re-build and everything seems ok; knock on head! I would have to say though, it's very disapointing how Suzuki handled the claim, they even studied the ECU readings before the claim was accepted.

For the record - I purchased the Gixxer with a 5 year, unlimited km's warranty.

14. Suzuki

Gday, Ive got a new K6 1000 GSXR, and you have the best bike money can buy. You just got a dud, Ive had them all, but you need a new engine, just wait, they will fit it and you will be happy. My 750 T Suzuki [ 1997 ] did the engine. The gudgens if I remember had a problem, they rebuilt it twice then a new engine. Could not kill it. New Jap bikes are not to be serviced or repaired. Buy new, use them then get rid of them. You wont have a problem and its cheaper in the long run. They will last as long as you dont have a human touch them. Yep Im a mechanic and its just the way they are. BMW cars are just the same. Thanks Lyndon

15. Personaly i'd go rebuilt BUT push for an as new warranty, if they have a known problem that afects 1 in XX engines the chances are you may get another dud.

just going by experiance on early TTR 250's and Holden Crewman diffs

16. Hi Uncorider,

You got a Friday bike. Some stoned Doosh was on the assembly
    line at the time. It happens, even with people who buy KTM's ;)
    You have only got to go on gixxer.com to see how reliable they are.

The VIN change (in SA anyway) is a non-issue in my opinion.

I am sure you will have nothing worry about. I would just
    ride it and put the event behind you.

Cheers