Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Giving other MC riders "the nod"

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by Lectre, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Hey all.
    I don't know if this is a perculiarity of Brisbane alone, but I find it interesting that people only seem to give the "hello nod" to other riders on the same sort of bike...? For example, I ride a sports bike, and I have other sports bike riders nod to me, and when I nod to them they nod back (yes a whole lot of nodding going down :LOL: )... However when I nod at guys'n'gals on cruisers, there is no reciprocation? My mother (who rides a cruiser) mentioned to me that the same thing applies to her; sport's bike riders don't give her the nod...
    Is this just a brisbane thing, or is it Australia wide?

<appologies to scooter riders for next comment>
    I personally don't nod to scooter riders, as the ones in my area (CBD/Red Hill/Paddington) are crazier than bat sh!t and twice as dangerous; but if I get a nod from a scooter rider I will always be polite and send one back...

I hope it's just an isolated Brisbane phenomanon :p

2. pfffftt, here we go again.......

if the soreness of my neck muscles is any indication...
    after the past weekend my head is ready to drop off.
    I have not nodded or been nodded at so many times in my entire life.

3. Well lectre, i think you'll be glad to hear that it is not just an isolated Brisbane incident.

It happens in NSW as well. Infact last week at the Camp Quality pillion ride I was getting the girl who was riding to me to nod at all the on coming bikes and as I was riding an SP2 we only seemed to get a couple of nods back from the other sports bikes and no cruisers. Still what can you do about it... I think the fact that bikers nod at all it a great institue for the biking community.

4. Hey Caz, try the diagonal nod... as if you're trying to do an exaggerated one eye wink...
    No I don't practice in the mirror!!

It is a well known technique for giving such pleasure...

Oh and about your OP... I nod to everyone... even little kiddies waving from the foothpath. I'd wave back if I wasn't turning a corner, going through a round-a-bout or going over a speed hump... bloody sped humps. I nod to work crew coz they just keep staring at me as I ride past slowly...

5. Yeah, I nod or wave to the ladies guarding the school crossing, and to the guys holding the lollipop signs... the ladies wave back, the guys generally don't. ;)

I've just started nodding to every bike, and seem to get a response about 60% of the time or so. Definitely need to be able to shrug it off if there's no response... if I hadn't joined here it would have taken me a while to get the hint! The road I ride has a lot more sports bikes than cruisers, and yeah, sometimes the cruiser riders don't nod back... but I suspect they don't nod to anyone.

It's a nice acknowledgement, and a little courtesy that costs nothing in this increasingly uncourteous world: I'm all for it.

6. Fair go... they're probably vibrating so hard they can't actually see you nod! :p
    (Hell, they may not even see you at all!)

7. Hi Lectre,
    I give the nod were I can and I don't expect to receive back every time!
    It is a good acknoledgement but at what cost!
    What I mean is if a rider is concentrating on traffic and other road hazards I don't expect to nod to and/or receive a nod from the other rider.
    I don't get offended easily but I have noticed that I receive less acknoledgements from non sport bike riders as well.

cheers

8. The kids are the best. I don't bother nodding. I give kids a full-on massive grin and wave my left hand enthusiastically.

Kids waving to me or staring at me when I'm on the bike really makes my day. :grin:

9. I ride a cruiser & hand out nods regardless of the type of bike. Havent come accross many that dont respond, but maybe its because Im a chick or it could be the big bright yellow L plate on the back and everyone kinda sayin "welcome" :grin:

The funniest one Ive had so far was from a rider when I was in the front yard & not even in "bike" mode or gear & he nodded at me first !! Figured he must of seen me on the bike before as I was heading out or something.

Gotta agree with im.on.it, the sideways "wink" nod is kinda sexy & cool :cool:

10. I ride a cruiser & hand out nods regardless of the type of bike. Havent come accross many that dont respond, but maybe its because Im a chick or it could be the big bright yellow L plate on the back and everyone kinda sayin "welcome" :grin:

The funniest one Ive had so far was from a rider when I was in the front yard & not even in "bike" mode or gear & he nodded at me first !! Figured he must of seen me on the bike before as I was heading out or something.

Gotta agree with im.on.it, the sideways "wink" nod is kinda sexy & cool :cool:

11. grrrrrrrrrr dble post

12. yeah i'm on about the same %%% as Bravus... 6/10 nod back!

I nod to everyone generally (except scooters - sorry!!) and have had maybe two nods back from the cruisers. I just figured they were busy concentrating or something.

Out riding the other week and passed a field full of tents and kids. The kids were all lined up waiving like mad as me and a couple of others passed and even i could hear the cheers as we all waved back. I remember being 12 and something like that making my day!!!!!! ;)

Will be trying out the nod/wink when I'm next out!!

13. post # 5 billion on nodding.

14. I hate when you nod, but your bike hits a little dip in the road... so it looks like you did nothing but look at them :?

15. I nod at riders even when driving the four wheel cage... can't help it! At least the rider knows I've seen em. Now I raise the fingers in acknowledgement and get a few pinkies lifted in return.... its like anything there are courteous riders and some not!

16. i give the nod to any biker that gives the nod. some people are just too lazy to do so or are bikecist.

17. What happened to the good old semaphore? Back in my day, you would have a great big light mounted on your handlebars, and on sighting fellow rider, you would signal your approach angle, speed, and your thoughts on his particluar bike. It was then customary to fire off a few warning shots over his head to make sure he knew your intentions were true. You would then simply pass each other and continue on your way.
    Ahhhhh, those were the days.....

18. Scrambles comment = gold! :LOL:

19. I've stopped nodding at open face helmet cruiser riders with designer leather jackets and iron on tatoos, they're too arrogant to nod back!

Regards, Andrew.

20. Do you all nod at grizzly looking Harley folk? provided that you nod at cruisers i spose.

I nod when possible, generally people are friendly. I never nod at scooter riders... I guess it's along the same lines as not nodding at push bike riders.