Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Giving advice?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Cowboy1600, Mar 7, 2005.

1. After all the to-ing and fro-ing between advice givers, and seeing some advice that has been given out it got me thinking as to what we should say when someone asks for advice be it about bikes, tyres, gear, whatever. This is what I came up with, and feel free to put forward your opinion:

* When giving advice on what bike/tyre/etc to buy make sure its as objective as it can be.

* Quotes like "I cant stand them" or "i just dont like em" or "these are my favourite" are about as useful as tits on a bull.

* Quotes like "these are notorious for breaking conrods" or "these things regularly see 150,000k's with no problems" or "I frequently get XXXk's out of them" are what a bike/tyre/etc buyer needs to hear.

* Its then up to the purchaser to decide which bikes/tyres/etc "I cant stand them" or "i just dont like em" or "these are my favourite" are.

* If someone wants a bike/tyre/etc dont can them because you dont like that particular bike/tyre/etc.

* Give them feedback about the pros and cons then let them make up their own mind.

* If you do give your "recommended purchase", make sure you stress why that is. And once again try and be objective.

* Remember, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, opinions are like assholes, everyone has one, and whats good for the goose isnt necessarily good for the gander.

2. I like your advice :) I'll drink to that. :p :p

3. Well if drinks are going around flingy l will have a bourbon and diet coke plz :wink:

And great advise it is cowboy.

Cheers big ears!!

4. Agree wtih you cowboy! One additional 'advice giving' guideline should be to also identify where the knowledge is coming from. Is it personal experience, is it vicarious experience, is it fact (e.g. actually properly tested/studied, not just tested), or is it 'logic' on part of the sage?

5. I we posted the negative aspects of own own bikes- that could perhaps indicate a true reflection of our experience - and probably be benificial.

Eg. .....um......ZZr's rock...mmmmm this isn't working as planned. :?

6. You mean that "Red bikes go faster" isn't useful advice?? :p :wink: :D :D

7. Advice is like arseholes, we all have them

I think what you need to point out Cowboy is the person giving the advice needs to know what they are talking about.

I have been in the bike game for over 25 years and still dont consider myself the type to give great advice...... Also, remember, A tyre will perform differently on different bikes, different riding styles and weights of the riders.....

Anyway, good advice Cowboy

8. No but your a bad influence. Guess whos taken to sitting on his tank when he's on the freeway and bored :D

Hahaha......However I waxed my tank the other day. Makes it really hard to stay on :p

9. Saw a T-shirt the other day that said:

Please take my advice cause I don't need it anymore

10. oh yeah, i used to have one of those when i lived in the UK. The trick is to make sure you bleed the brakes after every ride, that will ensure you get more life out of your piston rings.

You'll find that letting the tire pressure down to around 10 psi at the front will get rid of your headshake problem, the same thing worked for me on my old CBR.

Don't bother paying for the factory seat cowling, get a race cowling and strap a cushion to it; the missus and I toured oz a few years ago on a gixxer using the same trick.

As for your overheating issue, a trick my old mechanic told me is to mix a tablespoon of sugar into the coolant, it increases the dissipation capability of the radiator. If that fails, remember that the heat gauge is only a guide, on most bikes they read about 50 degrees to high as standard.

Does anyone know where I can get leaded petrol from these days? I want to put every second tank in as leaded, just to keep the valve seats nicely coated on my 05 R6.