Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Givi box problem - knackered / poor design / stupid owner ?

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by gidds, Aug 24, 2008.

1. Hi all,

I got a new (used) bike yesterday ('07 900 Hornet) and it came with a Givi V46 topbox. Here's the problem - the lid won't lock!! I'm hoping there is someone out there with one of these who can help...

I have no idea whether I'm being stupid and have missed something (I didn't get the owners manual), but I just don't see how this is possible.

Here goes with an attempt at explaining my theory.

- The key works fine
    - You can't remove the key when it is in the unlocked position (ie that works)
    - When the box is locked, the top red button can not be pressed (ie that works)

In the picture below, the red button marked '1' is the button to open the lid. The number 2 is basically a big piece of plastic that also opens the lid. So if you press number 1, it moves number 2 and opens the lid. Now, the problem as I see it is that you can press number 2 (and open the lid) even if number 1 is locked. Surely I've missed something here!!

Does anyone have any idea on this? It's driving me crazy.

To be honest I'm a bit surprised/disappointed at the design of the Givi locking mechanism. It's basically just a piece of plastic with a lip/hook which is no more than 5mm deep.

I'm hoping that someone will come back and let me know that it is me being an idiot, but keen to get everyone's experiences. Also if anyone knows of somewhere to download a user guide can you let me know?

Cheers all,

2. no-one has answered so I'll try and help.
    we have one on our little scooter and its a shit of a thing.
    you push the flappy bit in until it catches then you should be able to lock it with the key. the plastic bit goes in at a funny angle, sort of a push then a slide up if that makes sense.
    my wife had to patiently demonstrate it endlessly to me.
  3. I've got one - Givi V46 top box (& a Hornet900) .

With lid closed, press in 'number 2' & then turn key to locked position. You should now be able to pull out the key.

to unlock, insert key & turn to 'unlocked' then press 'number 1' , cuaeing 'number 2' to flip out & release lid for opening.
  4. I picked up a 2nd hand Givi and thought the same.

Push #2 in, it's a big button really. It will drop back in flush with the rear. It doesn't go up or flip back, the entire thing drops back.
  5. Thanks all, got it now. It was driving me nuts!!!

In case anyone else here is searching for this information, the secret is in the way the whole of number 2 pushes down and back - as Roscoe says, it goes flat.

Really appreciate the help guys.

6. Apparently Givi had almost finalised the design when their designer contracted a horrible illness, with only the locking mechanism left to do and the deadline approaching. A Microsoft IT guy was working on their office computer and offered to help out. He promised to come up with something 'user-friendly' and 'intuitive'. :roll:
  7. Hi Gidds,

Well, if it's any consolation, you're definitely not stupid - I broke a major sweat trying to work out the same thing! Almost managed to convince myself it was broken... before turning to the Givi site (no use at all), and then Netrider and your post.

Thanks to you (and all respondents!) for saving me from what was about to become a major tantrum!

The important thing is getting that #2 totally flat - that sorts it.