Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Givi - 3D603 TANKLOCK - Tank Bag

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' at netrider.net.au started by Jem, Jan 28, 2015.

1. #1 Jem, Jan 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
    Hi all,

Purchased one of these yesterday from Bike Mart in Ringwood. - http://www.givi.it/soft-bags/Tank-Bags/3D603 TANKLOCK

Let me preface this by saying that I have been using a Kriega Tail bag for the last 3 years and it is a great bag. But for my daily commute it is a bit more than I need. In reality all I want to carry is:- Tyre gauge, Right angle adapter, lose change, my wallet, work keys, house keys, smokes, lighter and lunch and a few odds and sods.

Yes it all fits in the tail bag with ease but having to take the bag on and off to get something out seemed liked a bit more effort than I wanted. I know first world problem.

So anyway I saw this when the small boy and I were in Bike Mart on Saturday and did a bit of research over the weekend.It seemed to fit the ticket so I dropped in and picked it up yesterday afternoon on the way home. Might add that the price was competitive with anything i could see on line at $109.00 and A1 had the same bag for $169.00. You also need to buy the flange specific to your bike, it was $22.00 so all up cost was $137.00.

Here is the Givi video about the system -

So we all know what promotional stuff is like compared to reality so here are my thoughts so far given that I have had it all of one day and some real world photos. Firstly the flange that you attach to the bike - the instructions are useless, that said you just need to remove 4 screws and then insert 4 new ones that come with the kit. Who knew that they are all different lengths. After a bit of fiddling around it took less than 5 minutes to put on the bike.
    Flange on Tank.JPG
    No issue getting the fuel cap open -
    Fuel cap Open.JPG
    The bottom of the bag has a locking ring and you simply press the bag onto the ring attached to the bike
    Locking Mech.JPG
    See part 2 below

2. #2 Jem, Jan 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
    So what can you get in it I hear you ask -
    Contents.
    This is what I had in it today, The Kreiga bag is their 1L one and I keep all my loose bits and pieces, like tyre gauge, change etc in it as well as stuff the small boy thinks I should have with me in it. Black item with clear bit is the rain cover

This is what it looked like in the bag-
    Contents in the bag.JPG
    As you can see still a bit of room for more stuff.

What does it look like on the bike -
    On Bike 1.JPG
    On Bike 2.JPG
    On Bike 3.

It is very easy to get on the bike, just line it up and push on and it clicks into place, pull the red lever and it comes straight of.

The top has a clear panel which you can slip a phone behind and is held in place in a pouch, I can fit my iPhone 5 in there but you would be struggling to get anything much bigger in there. The touch screen functions still work behind the clear panel with no delay which surprised me a bit. sorry could not get a photo of that as only have my phone with me and obviously could not take a photo of it in place. will grab one when I get home and post tonight. You could also put a garage remote in there if you had one which would make things easy.

So first ride with it mounted? Firstly did not effect my ability to get to the bars at all, I sit quite forward on the seat and did not touch the bag, that said I am 70 kgs so if you were a bit bigger you might feel the bag there, but it would depend on what sort of bike you have and where the bag sits on it. did not notice it at all on the ride to work It sits quite far back on the Shiver so I had to look down a fair bit to see the phone pouch, but reckon you could use it for Maps via your phone Felt very solid on the bike at 80 km with no movement that i could see.

So far so good, it was snap to get the stuff I wanted out when I got to work and didn't need to take my gloves off and get it open and the work key out when I arrived.

I was attached mainly to it's ease of use, no contact with the tank by the bag, and the fact that now I have the bit attached to the bike there are various other size bags that I could also use with it. Will come back and update after I have been using it for a bit

Cheers Jeremy

• Informative Informative x 2
  3. Dammit Jem, that thing is obscuring the lines of a really nice looking bike!! :D

Great colour as well!

4. P.s you need a tank protector, see below:

image.

5. I know, but the tail bag doesn't look much better when it is on.

When I am ridding her you do not really see the tank bag and when I am off the bike so is the bag.... Compromise I know but yet to find the perfect solution.....

And yes White rocks on the Shiver, really brings out the folds in the tank.

What tank protector is that ?

Cheers Jeremy

6. PS you need to lose the fuel sticker of your tank :)

7. LOL just pulling your leg! Can't remember the exact tank protector - I think it was off eBay - searched for tank protectors for Shivers basically and found the one I wanted.

• Like Like x 1
  8. I've had one of these for a while (maybe 12 months now) and have been very happy. You can even operate the zippers with gloves on. The bag will click on by just placing it in the right spot with one hand. I've ridden in pretty heavy rain without the extra cover and it didn't let in any water (only a 20 minute ride).

I've seen a review somewhere that points out that heavy stuff (eg a DSLR) will end up digging down through the foam and onto some of the internal screws -- scratching whatever heavy thing you had in there. My 2c is to only carry cameras in a back pack to reduce the vibrations that the auto focus motor is exposed to (whole new topic there).

enjoy.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Hi,

Photo with my phone in the bag ( Excuse the feet ), I used it on the way home last night to see how it worked using maps. Summary - okay but would have been better if I had a blue tooth link to hear what it was saying.The phone obviously got quite hot in there as it blanked out a few times and then came good. Reckon it would be better than nothing if you had no idea where you were going but not an everyday solution without blue tooth link.
    phone.

10. I don't think the people at givi expected anybody to use that phone mount thing. Just looks good in the shop!

11. I was tossing up between this model and the XS307, very temped to go with the smaller 4lt 603, but decided on the 15lt 307. The main things that I liked with the 307 were the larger map area on top and the two side pockets.

But as said, the 307 is a bigger bag, on my setup it really doesn't matter, but on a simpler arrangement it might look out of place, in that case the smaller 603 would look better. Still they both have the tanklock system which is great.

givi-x10.
    Givi XS307 Tanklock Tankbag

• Like Like x 2