Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Give up riding for good

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by Tomcatalex, Feb 27, 2008.

1. In their report on a survey of riders over 30 years of age, Haworth et al concluded that 30% of those with a motorcycle license would cease riding and never ride again.

2. I started a month before my 30th so umm... NO!!!

3. That survey has no point.

If they surveyed a bunch of 20 year olds, there would be a percentage that would give up and not ride again. It's called moving on.

4. Absolutely bloody not. In the same way i won't give up my other passion, climbing. I'll give it up when i'm no longer physically able to do it.

5. When I was 18 I rode... I then had 13 Years break... I then started riding again... Bollocks that I'd be giving it up just because of the number of years since i was bourne

6. I started when I was about 32, so, umm, no. :grin:

I would imagine in that demographic that a number of those 30% are people who give it up because of either:

1) they get married and perhaps have children, and either they want to reduce their risk of serious injury or death leaving their spouse and/or kids exposed, or perhaps the significant other "persuades" them to give it up

2) Hello mortgage, goodbye expensive to buy/run "luxuries".

That's on top of those who just "get over it". Did the survey enquire into the reasons?

Butz. :beer:

7. Sorry I don't get it. What was the survey? Your comment above says they were surveying riders over 30, not teenagers about what they'd do when they turn 30. What were they actually asking them? Cease riding when? I'm over 30 and yes I'll cease riding at some point as well - when they lower me into the ground. :LOL:

8. i'm nearly 32

so

no

9. Yes. Because I'll have to give up eventually, you know - when I crash into something or when I'm too old to hold the clutch in :grin:

10. Bah, that's just because more than 30% of men over 30 keep their testicles in their wife/partners handbag :LOL: :bolt:

11. I took a break from about 28 or 29 when my kids were small until about 42 when my kids were teenagers, and am back and happy in my mid-40s. I'll most likely only stop now when I'm a danger to myself and others due to physical failings... and I'd rather then get off the road early than be the duffer that kills people.

12. I've seen some of those electric ... buggies? wheelchair-looking thingys aged/disabled people ride around in. Pretty nifty, if you ask me.
    So NO, won't be giving up as I'll be riding those when the time comes! :grin:

13. No bloody way. I'll be back on it.

14. Geez ... I started road riding at the age of 46 :shock:
    Does that mean I'll stop before I get a chance to start ? :?

15. And how many said they would take it up after 30?

16. Give up???

I started riding at 57 (6 months/6500 kms ago) and plan to keep riding till at least 95. I have a lot of time to make up for! Give up at 30? God I can barely remember being 30!

17. I've been riding for over 30 years, so not likely I'd just stop :cool:

18. Only started road riding at age 30, so unless I'm going to give it up again in the next 2 months.... no.
    :grin:

19. sounds about as likely that i would give up riding as i would masturbation.
    it's never gonna happen.