Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Give it to me straight - Move to Europe?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by far_canel, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Ok kiddies, i've been ponding this sucker for around 6 months now, but i'm getting all sorts of mixed vibes. I wanna move to Europe (mainly Norway & Sweden) because:

-I'm young and getting older (24)
    -I wanna root around
    -I wanna party in different places instead of just melbourne
    -I wanna see the world while been single and uncommitted to a career / missus / kids / morage
    -I'm the shits with my current job work wise (boring and uninteresting)
    -I would like the idea of touring Europe in my "spare time" on a bike...
    -Currently not renting therefore no lease to wait out on / bond etc
    -Good chance i'll be loosing my license for another 18 months AND copping the legal fees of fighting it ~$8k (if i choose to not fight this with a solicitor its ganentee'd i'll lose it, but not cope $8k, just $1-2k)
    -Currently commuting 180km a day (squaring up bike tires bad)
    -Lossing out on social time with friends due to living location / travel etc. (1 hour from melbourne where most of my friends are).
    -Not happy with current life setup.

However there are these things that have slowed me down:

-WTF is this recession stuff in the EU?
    -My current job is fulltime, with super, flexy hours, and still haven't fired me after one deliberate f&*kup and having absolutly no work for myself let alone the 20 grads they just employed while our compeditors are firing alot of engineers...
    -May keep my license, unknown.
    -Housing grant, refuse to rent anymore, want house, my house (and in the famous words of eddiy murphy "if you don't like it, you can get the f^&* out!")
    -House despoit is almost complete (with grant)
    -Not sure if i want to work in engineering in EU
    -Have no other experience at common jobs except for labour (never done bar work etc)
    -Never traveled OS (except when 10 as a holiday with mum)
    -Can't speak any other languaues (however wanting to learn Swedish as you can easierly understand Norwigen and a few others in the area)
    -NetRider friends, you know who you are, really really look forward to spending time with this crowd.
    -Got a habbit in life of f^*&ing majoy things up (hence i need advice here)
    -If i got a house, i have everything needed inside, all the basic's plus a little more, so that stuff will be basically gathering dust / aging etc.

So what is happening in Europe? Is it that hard to get a job? Even as general labour? Is it just the UK or the entire EU? Can you get by ok with just English if i only know the basics of the native language (for instance, if i off'd the bike and the doc is trying to explain techniquel shit to me and i don't understand, i.e. "we are going to do an MRI, ok?" - "yeah sure, ignore the various metal bits in my bones").

What would I take over there? Clothes only? How much money would I need to "start fresh" over there? Would I go with no job plans what so ever, just a work visa to the UK and Sweden/Norway then go and hope such as a working holiday setup? Housing, what's the best opition, live with a random or live by yourself?

If anyone has any advise please throw it in regardless of how much or type. If anyone knows anything about this recession stuff in the EU (i really get lost in it all when they talk about in on the telly) please feel free to give the quick and dirty on it all...

Cheers all for your help...
    The reason I post here as I need to make a decision very quickly asap... I can't keep commuting as I am atm, so that means buy a house or go to europe... and when i mean go to europe, i'm aiming of a semi permant nature, 2-10 years...
  2. :rofl: Ok, I think I've got the answer: Move to a backpackers in the city & get a job at a bar. It'll be the same as being a backpacker without leaving australia! :LOL: (Don't worry, bar work is a piece of piss!)

Plenty of backpacker to root around & party with, there's always new people to meet, new places to party, lotsa great rides around...

Ok, so it doesn't cover all your bases, but it's a start! When you get sick of rock n rollling all night & partying every day (6 months max :grin:), all the money you still have saved up can go toward a house.
  3. Bugger off while you are young enough to do it, I reckon.
  4. Do it, you will learn a lot about life and meet a lot of great people.
    oh and you will also root a lot of chicks.
  5. Do it. Always better to regret something you did than something you didn't (in this context anyway!)
  6. interesting... only real issue I have is if i do go over there for some time, and don't find work, i'm basically burning my house despoit / savings... Ideally i'd like a positively or neutrally geared rental house to pay for itself then bugger off but i don't think I can get that set up...

Nice idea MV, but i wanna r00t international chics and be the foriegner... (better chances i hope!)

I guess, what is to lose, well conditioned full time job except for the actual work, a fair chunk of money possiably, connections with friends (nothing ever lasts, i.e. the group that hangs around now)
  7. Great starting purse to travel with. Forget house, may be cheaper in 12 to 18 months anyway.

Forget buying a house till you've fixed this - they're too expensive to f**k-up! Best way to fix this is to travel.

If you can get a work visa, don't delay - go. If you can't, go anyway and work where you can. There is often work for those who want, just don't expect great conditions.

Don't worry about language, you speak english and so do many people in europe - whether they admit it or not. If you learn another, all the better, but buy a decent phrase book. I travelled France extensively on my own knowing "I am Australian", "I would like...", ".... a room for one night", and a few lines from songs (don't mention Plastique Bertrand!!) The rest you make up as you go, and makes for some very funny stories later. Imagine your confusion if a tourist drives his Deux-chevaux (Citroen 2CV) into your garage workshop claiming the "sun is too high"! Yes, I didn't know how to say "The headlights are pointing too high" but we worked it out with sign language and my fr'anglaise.

It is important to learn "I am Australian" as you don't want to be mistaken for American, or in some countries - English.

Anyway, you need to do your bit to help the world through this recession - go be a tourist/foreign worker

Leave some money at home, enough to buy a return ticket if things don't work out.

In case you didn't notice, I agree with the others....

8. MOVE!!!!. engineering in europe is growing and they (well germany, i have been looking to) have a MASSIVE shortage of engineers.
  9. Go while you can...

But remember - Scandinavinan countries ahve even more restrictive driving laws than here.

and you've got a much shorter riding season... :LOL:

edit - posted in wrong place - deleted
  10. I'm just gonna say this to contradict everyone else (if it strikes true, well maybe it is, maybe not):

Don't go... yet. You couldn't pick a worse time to try and get a job, anywhere. You can pick up the First Home owners grant here for a few more months yet, so why not take their money? Buy the cheapest property you can find, live in it for 12 months or so , then you can sell it later on without capital gains tax. Stick with the job just long enough to make it look to future employers that you can be trusted.

You're young enough to have plenty of time to do what you want. Get a bar job, learn the trade, and if you're remotely attractive to the opposite sex you will get plenty as a bonus.

If you haven't got a license in Australia you won't have one over there either. And Norway has an 80 limit everywhere even if you did.

There. Is that enough ?

If I was your age I would want to do all those things you said (hell, still do :LOL: ) and I'm not saying you're wrong - just playing devil's advocate.
  11. I reckon just go........NOW!!!

Even if it's a mistake you're young enough to sort yourself back out and you'll have a memorable time/experience no matter how it pans out.
  12. It is a contraction in the economy. People / companies / governments aren't spending, so not as many jobs around.

could be a big problem - if you are desperate to get into the housing market, an EU jaunt is probably not the way to save for a deposit (speaking from experience here).

oh.... forget above. If you can get a house and the rental repayments can cover the cost of an interest only loan, then the option is certainly there.

has it's ups and downs. I worked in the UK as an engineer. I think the days of contracting are certainly limited (with the global financial crisis), and there are benefits to being a salary worker. But one is not quite as free as a bird when on salary. just makes you take advantage of every spare moment.

on the upside, you will still be developing your career and will not come back to oz 3 years behind your peers. on the downside, you cant just skip from town to town, moving when it suits you.

bar work is a piece of piss.

all the more reason to do it.

all the more reason to do it (just study up for 4 months before you go - do a tafe course if you are keen)
    BUT this might make life difficult - not speaking the native tongue can be an impediment to getting a professional job. That is why UK could be good as an engineer - professional wages. Elsewhere (ie primarily non-english speaking) you will have to do work which will get you far less cash.

the only mistake is not learning from your mistakes. Just weigh up the pros and cons - you're an engineer, make a multi-criteria assessment sheet and let the numbers decide (laugh it up, but it helps!)

just whack the deposit in a high interest bearing account and get a house later. or get a house and stick renters in it to pay the (interest only) mortgage.

stuff is just stuff - a big move like this can be very liberating in some ways (good chance for a cleanout of "stuff).

but make sure you don't p!ss your savings up against the wall to fund the trip if a house is what you really want.

it is the whole world baby. yeah it is hard at the moment, but not impossible.

depends what you mean by "get by". If you are trying to argue with a bus driver, english won't help you. if you are in hospital with a motorbike stuck up your butt, chances are someone around there will speak english.

a suitcase full of frangas and a 44 gallon drum of KY.

take what you need to survive for 2 weeks. If you plan on settling somewhere, get essentials shipped over. if you plan on going where the wind takes you, take only what you can fit in a big backpack.

given the value of the $A at the moment, lots. Especially if you are going to the nordic end of the world - it is EXTREMELY expensive there. I remember paying $10 for a glass of coke in an average restaurant. If it were me, I'd itemise what you live on in oz for one month, then quadruple it. If you are UK bound, triple it.

oh, and always have enough stashed away somewhere for a ticket home in case the sh!t hits the fan.

nah, research it. don't wanna get caught with your trousers down with this one. Having work confirmed before you land is less stressful than trying to find work there.

living with locals is great. Language and cultural exchange, insider knowledge etc etc. It is socially harder than slumming it with other aussies (because of cultural differences), but more of a payoff.

I worked in the UK for 2 years and it was the best 2 years of my life. It wasn't a poon safari nor a s3x tour of europe, but a real eye opener to a wide eyed lad from regional NSW.

that said, I think titus (Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:08 pm) raises some very good points.

Also, if you are in norway, you'll have about a 4-6month window of nice riding (unless you buy a snowmobile).
  13. And most people always regret the things they didn't do far more than the things they did...
  14. :shock: but........*sniff*..........you CAN'T go........... :cry:
  15. well what do you expect living all the way out at 123 Fake st? :?

16. as someone who dated blonde bombshell norweigen chick for 6 months........
    LEAVE! LEAVE NOW! don't come back. :grin: :grin: :grin:
  17. Do it, Do it now!!!

I'm going over there in December - 50/50 on if I'll come back.
  18. yeah great!! nothing wrong with that at all!! no worries :roll:
  19. friend of mine is an environmental engineer,er, i think. anyway he is an engineer and has been living in england for the past 3 or so yrs with an awesome job that send him to china and dubai and whatnot.

he still has time to piss about in austria/italy skiing when he has time. now that he is single from his swedish girlfriend- who picked him up in bar in monaco, when he was bumming around europe before he got the sweet gig- i'm sure he'll be fcuking about like a 20yr old on a mission :grin:

DO IT!
  20. I lived in Norway back in 88 -89. It was a great place then, except expensive. I am sure it is still expensive. I have a friend going there soon to work for 6 months. He has a job lined up so it is not as big a jump.

I think traveling when young is a great idea, as others have said many people in Europe speak English and you have more regrets about what you haven't done than what you have, though I would leave the house buying till your return.

I suppose you could start in England and see how you go till it warms up and then make the move over to Scandinavia.

Good luck with your decision.