Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Girls- Help! (problems with slow manouvering)

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by Danielle, May 14, 2007.

1. Hello. Writing this thread in the hopes some other girls out there will be able to relate with my problems and offer me hope that it WILL improve!!

I'm having big probs manouvering my bike.. i find it really heavy (its a kawasaki zr250 balius.) Both my feet touch the ground though. Basically, I don't feel confident manouvering it into my backyard and out the gate to the street... (i am moving to a new house with a paved garage in a month, but am stuck with rocky/gravel carport totally exposed to the street, or the grass in the backyard for now..)

I think my confidence got shaken cos i attempted my 2nd road ride (first solo one) this afternoon, and after taking the seat off last night to check out the 'boot' and show my family how clever it is.. i tried to put it back on, but obviously it didnt click in, so while i sat on the bike, using my feet to "reverse" it.. the seat wobbled out of place, my butt shifted, my weight shifted, and down goes my baby onto the grass!!! (...Jafu, dont tell them what happened at the servo :s !!! )

so anyway, after picking it up.. then it not starting.. then figuring out why it wouldnt start (got knocked out of neutral during the fall) i took off and went for a spin- much fun- however i got home and did a circuit of the backyard i found it really hard to do a tight circle... and then it nearly came down again as i had mega high revs but had ran out of room as i was trying to steer the bike through a tight circle (kinda got stuck at a tree in the garden)... lucky my uncle grabbed the bike before we fell over... :s

help me i feel so unco! i love my bike, and i dont want to be a bad mother :(

(iondah suggested back brake, not front.. i shall try it.) any help, or similar stories of how you found it hard but now its sooo easy would be appreciated a lot !

2. Yup, never use your front brake when slow riding or manouvering. Did they not teach you this on the course?

3. they probably did pete, but i dont remember...i did the course(s) over 2 years ago, and did HART intermediate probably 10 months ago.. (and got my first bike yesterday) perhaps its time for some professional tuition!

4. I think Pete's trying to say, use your back brake for low speed maneuvering and leave the front brake alone. :wink:

As for my advice, low speed maneuvering (especially very tight circles) is difficult. It's far more tricky than scooting along at speed. However, it is something you need to practice and learn. I suggest you find a nice empty car park and practice, practice, practice. Even experienced riders benefit from the odd car park session. As you get more time in the saddle, your confidence and skills will improve. Using a space with plently of room for error will allow you to learn whereas (as you've discovered) a grass covered back yard is less forgiving. :)

Until you get a bit more practice, it may be worth getting off the bike to turn it in the yard. Stand beside it, with the bike almost upright but still leaning towards you so you can use your weight to hold it up (if you lean it away from you, you'll drop it) and push. :wink: This will prevent further damage to your bike and will stop you from destroying your confidence by biting off more than you can chew. :grin:

You'll get to the stage where you can happily spin up the back wheel and drift the thing around the yard but it takes time. Just go one little baby step at a time and sing out on NR any time you want help or advice. :)

Edit: Thanks Pete for fixing up your posts and making me look stupid. :LOL:

5. i use both at the same time

6. obviously i'm not female but there are alot of people out there that have the same problem as you

when your doing a tight circle ie U turn when you turn the bars, you really have to turn your head so that you just about looking back down along the seat, so much like riding through a bend pick a spot where you wanna end up, and fix your eyes on the target, you will find the bike goes around much easier.

also doing tight manouvring, you need to counter balance so as you lean the bike in get yourself in a upright position

with using th back brake for low speed manouvring, you also need to slip the clutch so find you friction point ease the clutch out only slightly more so the engine is actually driving the back wheel and increase revs, hold your revs and use the rear brake to control your speed

7. thanks seany. i hope i get that confident one day! i'm just remembering learning anything new seems so hard and impossible at first, and becomes a laughing matter with time at how easy it was...
    i will try walking the bike, i thought it would be easier to ride it cos i had the engine to move it and a foot on either side, but perhaps walking it like the guys in the bikeshops always do is the go. (jafu showed me how to lean into the bike and have the bike lean towards me) i will definitely hit the train station carpark on the weekend and practice all the slow stuff.

qbnspeedfreak, just what i want to hear! I am not the only one!!
    thanks for the reminder, i was consciously doing this on most corners in my little go solo on the streets this afternoon, but somehow it went out the door when i got to the backyard, will try this in the carpark.
    good pointers about counter balancing and the back brake to control speed- might try and get my head around that while actually on the bike !!

8. just go to a carpark and ride around for a while without trying anything special. eventually you get comfortable on the bike and it all starts to happen. carparks are usually deserted at night so you don't have to wait for the weekend.

9. i'm scared of the dark?

10. i prefer riding at night, theres less traffic and my bike headlight is about 5000x better than my cage's headlights so im pretty comfortable riding then.

+1 to clutch control and keeping off the front brake also try some counter balancing.

11. To do various maneuvering with your motorcycle requires a set of specific mechanical skills to get the bike to do what you want for those individual maneuvers.

In the case of slow maneuvering, you need to work the clutch, accelerator and rear brake all in unison, it will take a while to master, but if you want to slow maneuver properly you will need to master this.

To normally go forward you use accelerator and release the clutch, simple.

To slow maneuver, you use some acceleration but don’t release the clutch fully, but at the same time apply slight pressure on the rear brake to stop the bike from wanting to travel faster than it should and to create stability, in other words keeping the bike going slow in order to slow maneuver.

12. I find in slow speed riding its best to lean to the outside of the direction of lean to try and keep the bike from tipping over.

13. ok i'll try and brave the carpark in the dark night (with contacts for sure!)
    thanks nicholas, it sounds like its a matter of practising skills rather than the less acheiveable option of taking steroids and becoming a muscle-woman :)

14. all my drops have been within 5m of my own driveway - hence the brissie netriders know it as the 'driveway of doom' (its a normal driveway - really no problems with it at all - it's just me....)

as well as being a slow speed thing, for me personally it's a head thing - i think waaaaay tooo much. what has worked for me is doing quick 5 minute commutes on my bike - just to the local train station everyday instead of taking the car. it's working - i am much happier now getting into and out of my own yard....

(i'm the one that got my bike's front tyre lodged under my car's rear bumper getting into my own driveway! :oops: )

you'll get there - but plenty of practice and 'saddle-time' is a good thing....

have fun

15. thanks kezza :) i look forward to having a remote garage soon! it mightn't make any difference though :D
    cant wait for more saddle time on my horsey (its a balius) .. tomorrow is another day!!
    photos coming.. eventually.. to my other thread

16. Hi Dannielle,
    yeah as said have a practice in a car park, theres a few industrial areas off bay rd which you could use

Im in moorabbin so let me know if you want another noob there too!

After a bit of practice it will come naturally!

17. hmmmm....might be time for another skills / practice day... :)

18. Hey Danielle.

I think its the physical manourvering your bike around at parking speed you are having the problem with?

If you are, spend a little bit more time parking your bike so you minimise the movements required just to take off on the thing. Often this might mean parking in an alternative location or parking the bike so it's facing forward up a hill. Little things like that can make a big difference. be patient, and you will get the hang of it.

19. You may feel more conf after reading my post on dropping so many times lol all at under 5 k`s an hour i also park in the backyard with a bit of gravel which "feels" unstable sometimes, compared to the smooth surface of the road but have found a big carpark with a few small islands which i`ve been practicing circles around at low speed and amaze myself sometimes how tight i actually CAN turn just need confidence and practice i reckon

20. dont worry i dropped my baby day 2 after getting it from the shops- slow manouver on gravel-- then i jsut got back on and learnt to use the rear brake more efficiently and look all i can say is

PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE

you are only an L plater ONCE and its pretty lame to not want to ride in the dark or the rain-- cos your A LEARNER- so learn how to do it- you dont want to be fully licensed and then be learning to ride in the dark and rain!!!

:LOL: