Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

GIRL ISSUES with motorbikes

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by hashius, Jul 6, 2005.

1. hi guys im new to the scene ,and i am really keen to find a motorbike for myself.Now the problem is my wife has some BIG issues regarding bike riding.Could you guys "dispel" some of the bulshit and give us some real info about how DANGEROUS biking really is

cheers guys thanks
    P.S im plannin to get a zzr 250 :p
  2. Bike riding is essentially the same as driving a car. It primarily depends on YOUR attitude, ability, and attention. Just as you can kill and be killed in a car, you can kill and be killed on a motorcycle. If you ride a motorcycle appropriately, it's my arguable opinion that you can often be safer on top a bike than in a car. A motorcyclist is primarily free of distraction and realises that concentration and attention is paramount, and thus rides with those qualities .. whilst a car driver is more happy to lose focus with a radio, yaking to a passenger, mobile phone, not looking over shoulder etc.

What is your wife's concerns? We can address them with more focus if we know them :)
  3. Hi hashius
    Motorcycling IS dangerous. You have two fewer contact patches with the road than in a car. You have no physical protection from being hit, either by a car or an object, and you have little physical protection from injury if you fall off. If you DO fall off, friction or impact will eventually stop you; both hurt!
    But for every downside, there is an up side, and that is that NOTHING is like the sensation and enjoyment of riding a motorcycle.
    If you ride AWARE, (presume everyone else on the road is an idiot, a safe assumption around Lakemba!) and DON'T ride when you are angry, drinking or otherwise occupied, you will enjoy it and you stand a very good chance of not being one of the statistics
    There is a good network of Netrider folks in Sydney and any one of them would be happy to help you with advice, assistance and information; that's what we're here for!
    And, as soon as you get a bike and the appropriate gear, take HER FOR A RIDE on it, infect her with the same enthusiasm!
  4. Welcome hashius.
    I believe motorcycle riding can expose you to a higher risk injury than a car or truck, but it can also immensely enhance your awareness of the world around you too. "Live for the moment. Live in the now", I say. :)
  5. Yep - hornet600 is right. Motorcycling is dangerous. There's no doubt about it.

I personally know 6 people in Sydney who have come off in the last 3 - 4 weeks. 2 of the 6 had an ambulance ride, 1 of the 6 had a helicopter ride to hospital. 3 of the 6 are quite broken with 2 of them lucky to be alive, 1 of the 6 is at physio everyday and the other 2 were bruised, concussed and very lucky.

It's dangerous. This is a fact that you must come to terms with before venturing out on a motorcycle. It would be foolish to make an uninformed decision in this regard, however you've come to the right place for info!

As I warm up my bike each morning, I ask the angels to help me stay safe, and remind myself that I am invisible and ride accordingly.
  6. Welcome to the forums hashius. Riding is only as dangerous as you make. Sure there are idiot cagers on the road but you will find idiots behind any form of transport.
  7. Sorry to hear flash :(
    Out of statistical interest, what were the circumstances around these? Was there other vehicles involved or only themselves?
  8. Hi hashuis and welcome . With all of the above , also low speeds can be a hazard with oil or debris on the road but as has been said , awareness of whats around you is the key .
  9. 1. Pete the Freak - car pulled out of driveway onto him. Hospitalised & Broken

2. Sanzy - car turned into him while he was travelling 70kmph. Hospitalised & Broken

3. Renee - pedestrian walked out in front of her (Pedo's fault). Pedo fine - bike written off, Renee bad brusing & whiplash.

4. Sarah - not paying attention. Car in front stopped for red light, Sarah did not. Bruising, bashed knee, bike majorly scraped. No hospital.

5. Kaer - bike slipped on metal on Harbour Bridge. Brief hospital visit. He's fine.

6. Anne-Marie - been riding for a month. Went on twisty group ride on sunday, misjudged a corner & went wide. Slid on gravel then slammed into guard rail. Airlifted to hospital. No further info.
  10. well just tell her bikes r better than havein a affair
  11. Im gonna agree with Mouth on this one, to a degree.
    In my oh-so limited riding experience thus far, of all my sphincter-clenching moments, i was glad i was on a bike and not in a car. The main reason is this; If a car is coming towards you (round a corner for instance, so no warning) on YOUR side of the road, in a car, nine times out of ten, you dont have anywhere to go. At least on a bike the meter or so that is left of your lane can be quite usful :) Also, take this for instance, Car comes scooting out of a street on your left, suddenely see's you and THEN slames on the brakes, halfway thru your lane. This has already happened to me countless times. Add into this oncoming traffic (cause there always is) In a car, your screwed. Your just gonna go plowing into either the front of that car, or into on coming traffic. On bike you still have that 'dodge' factor, as i call it. That meter or so between the front of the retard and the side of the oncoming traffic.
    As said, in a car you probably only use about 40-50% concentration on the actual driving. On a bike, its about 110%! Your trained from day one to assume that every car is being driven by a moron and hasnt seen you.
    Ride like you're invisible, and you'll be safe.
  12. Once he gets hooked on riding it will end up being an affair . Rhonda always says the bike is the other girl in my life :) .
  13. Oh how true, I wonder how many bikes have been named as co-respondents in divorces?
  14. If your scared...

1) Do all the rider training you can
    2) Only buy a bike you are confident of handling
    3) Don't listen to the advise of riders who THINK (eg netriders!) they know everything, or anything about riding (see No. 1)
    4) Buy the best protective clothing you can afford
    5) do it for yourself.....and yourself only... :wink:
  15. I recently had a small off and it resulted in surgery on my right elbow.

The injury I sustained is the sort of injury often seen in footballers when they fall and try to halt their fall by putting their hands out.

I also know a gal who had the same injury as me and the same surgery, and she sustained hers by falling over during a stage play.

So from my experience over the last 8 years of riding, motorcycling is as dangerous as playing football or performing in a play.

16. Motorcycling is only more dangerous if you come off :)

Seriously though, if you really enjoy riding, don't put your life on hold just on the off chance that something bad might happen - the journey is what life is all about, not making sure you hit 70yo unscathed. If your numbers up, so be it.

That said, if you ride within your limits, wear the right gear and always strive to gain extra skills and experience, you'll be on the road for many years to come.

17. Agreed. 8)

edit: except for point #3. The advice of others is invaluable.
  18. Hi hashius
    I am also new to this Forum but not Motorcycling.

I for one feel safer riding my motorcycle than driving my car :!: I have over ten years experience and only one speeding fine to show for that. I used to be a motorcycle courier and that was when I got speed camera ticket :-k .
    Riding a motorcycle can be as safe as you want it to be. A motorcyclist needs his wits (sorry girls that should be his/her) about him/her. By being sensible and respecting other road users and using some common sense you will enjoy a long and fun time riding a motorcycle. There is nothing better.
    The golden rule I ride too is this: Other road users WILL break the law. They WILL go through Stop signs, They WILL run Red Lights. They WILL do everything you think they WILL NOT DO. When riding, always think ahead. Side streets are the worst. I have stopped dead numerous times in the middle of a main thoroughfare because I have seen a vehicle approaching from a side street and I wasn't sure if they were going to stop. And then they have the gaul to abuse me for stopping because I am looking out for myself. Expect the unexpected and don't be a dickhead. I often get reffered to as tempory Australian :x . There is a lot of riders out there that would fit that mould.
    My suggestion is get out there and have a go. It is just the best thing being out on your bike. Try and avoid busy traffic situations, ride with in your limits (dont' try and keep up with your mate who has been riding for 5 years this is the worst thing to do) and above all do a pre licence course. And practice emergency braking skills for your entire motorcycling life. I still practice them to this day and has saved me in countless situations. I hope I have helped you hashius. I reccomend everybody get out there and have a go the experience can be just exhilarating.
  19. Hey there Superbiker. :)

I do take offence to point number 3. :cry: I am quite experienced and have offered a number of members advice on riding. Yes, for the most part, most of the members are new and inexperienced, but there a some that have vast amounts of experience ranging from Street to track and combinations there-in. :)

Now, to answer the question at hand. :)

YES, motorcycling is certainly dangerous. But, like most things, you need to determine what your balance point is and ask yourself:
    1. Why do you want a bike - For convenience, communting, relaxing or showing off with your mates
    2. Be aware that you could have a serious accident and be seriously hurt due to either your own fault or anothers.
    3. If you choose to ride, then yes, training is important but so is pacing yourself
    4. Be VERY PATIENT and dont hurry. It is easy to learn to ride, but what is difficult is learning how to deal with a "situation"

20. thats a bit rich coming from someone who's nic is superbiker