Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Gippsland Trip

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' at netrider.net.au started by Trekka273, Jan 16, 2011.

1. My wife and I are looking at doing a 3-5 day trip in February on our bikes. Nothing too strenuous, just a nice tour taking in the South Gippsland Highway and the Great Alpine Road. I have done up a map and was after any suggestions.

I don't really want to go on any dirt roads and I don't want to be pushed for time, so I don't want to add too much distance to this. I want plenty of time for stopping along the way for photos, etc and not feeling the need to constantly make up miles.

I am hoping this link will work....

http://maps.google.com.au/maps/ms?doflg=ptk&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=201318861408703846844.000499ed478080888cd2e&ll=-37.51844,146.304932&spn=3.097722,4.938354&z=8

2. Trekka273,
    That is a fantastic ride you're planning - did the exact route (bar minor diversion, explained below) some months ago...awesome ! I ALWAYS love venturing along the GAR !

Only as a suggestion, if you wanted to get a few more twisties in (not that there aren't enough already :) ) consider going from Bonnie Doon towards Mansfield, Whitfield then cutting across to get back on Hume (if you wish) or continuing northbound till intercepting the GAR...your call mate.

I have selected days off in February but definitely looking at hitting these roads again sometime in the near future. Not sure if I'd be free when (?) you're doing the ride. Keep us informed mate (y)

3. Thanks for the tip, I wasn't sure what roads ran down in that area, I like it. I am assuming that is all sealed roads?

I have heard a lot about the GAR, so I am looking forward to it. Not sure of exact dates yet, still trying to work that out, but probably mid to late february.

I have done an amended map, pretty sure thats where you were talking about.

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Sunbury,+Victoria&daddr=Cranbourne,+Victoria+to:port+Welshpool,+Victoria+to:Longford,+Victoria+to:Bairnsdale,+Victoria+to:-Omeo,+Victoria+to:Bright,+Victoria+to:Wangaratta,+Victoria+to:Whitfield,+Victoria+to:Mansfield,+Victoria+to:Bonnie+Doon,+Victoria+to:Yea,+Victoria+to:Whittlesea,+Victoria+to:Kalkallo,+Victoria+to:Mickleham,+Victoria+to:Bulla,+Victoria+to:Sunbury,+Victoria&hl=en&geocode=FRyVwv0dQmOgCCl78oRsd_nWajEwzowhdVYEBQ%3BFUWDuv0dSd2oCCk3HLcujQ3WajFQ4YwhdVYEBQ%3BFS18sf0dNOS6CClNpZWgyd4razFgZqAwpHkFBA%3BFSezuf0dlFrECCmBKzs7PRkvazEAY6AwpHkFBA%3BFb_Xvv0dZq7MCCkN5sYy0n4vazFg3KAwpHkFBQ%3BFTXoyf0dZhjMCCnhzuN8UlQkazEwVaAwpHkFBA%3BFamKz_0dAHLCCClj_UqYdRgkazEwTaAwpHkFBA%3BFedG1f0dmcC4CCkD3izyl9smazFQ06AwpHkFBQ%3BFTgCz_0dVhC6CCkhT5quAvcmazGQWKAwpHkFBA%3BFeucyv0dTBq1CCmxzCAMTDUmazFgU6AwpHkFBA%3BFQsFy_0dFKexCCm9m1GHLsInazGAd6AwpHkFBA%3BFUAvyP0d9f6qCCmrqv5vPefXajHwhqAwpHkFBA%3BFX-cw_0di1KmCClBS9c5R7bXajEQzowhdVYEBQ%3BFd9ew_0d3uOjCCm1KNP9VK3XajE1CHkOS0p_1w%3BFW7Qwv0d1qKiCCk9-lawdFbWajGQzowhdVYEBQ%3BFQS2wf0dFZKhCCkJ8y6dHFjWajGA94whdVYEBQ%3BFRyVwv0dQmOgCCl78oRsd_nWajEwzowhdVYEBQ&mra=ls&sll=-36.557085,146.530151&sspn=0.50192,0.883026&ie=UTF8&z=7

4. Yeah mate, that's good...but it's your ride (y)
    Hope you manage to get some lovely weather for you both to enjoy.
    Safe travels.

5. Only change I'd suggest is to head down to Inverloch from Leongatha on the Bass Highway and ride through Cape Patterson (Bunurong Rd along the cliffs) to Wonthaggi and along to Kilcunda. There are some good roads you're missing but thats not the purpose of your trip?

6. Thanks twistngo, that does look pretty nice and doesn't t really add much distance to the trip.

The aim is to just get out and enjoy some nice roads, hopefully some good weather and some nice sights. Whilst I don't want to go out of our way to find every good road, when they are close by and they look like a good alternative I am happy to go with them.

7. +1 to Nickers and Twistngo's modifications, both the Inverloch and Whitfield routes shouldn't be missed. You can cut across earlier through Oxley and not go into Wangaratta if you like. Fuel can be a bit sparse on the route through there so if you have limited range be careful See this thread.

You should do your route fairly comfortably in three days, I generally go Stratford through Bengworden to Bairnsdale if I am taking that route to avoid the boring highway. Not that the Bengworden route is much better but it does have less traffic.

8. Thanks mate, I will keep that in mind and make sure we fill up when available. Both bikes have reasonable range of 370km or so before empty. Have a relative in Wangaratta so will probably head through there. Will split the ride over 4 days minimum, possibly 5. I don't want full on days on the bike with pressure to make miles, I want to take my time and enjoy the scenery and have time for some stops along the way.

9. i would be tempted to go around to have a look at the Eildon weir and ponds then bring it home through Marysville... Beautiful area...

i've been thinking of going up to Marysville in about a weeks time then up through to Echuca but the floods are everywhere at the moment so im not sure we'll get away.. :(

10. Trekka273 that is an awesome route you are planning on riding. I am trying to figure out a way of doing a similar route omitting Gippsland but as a day ride and no matter how much I shorten it, it's still around 900kms so I think the only way to properly do it and enjoy it would be an overnight ride. Agree with everyone elses comments.

I'll still probably do it in one day and see how it goes. Start 5-6 am get back to home by nightfall, like it :)

11. Korumburra-Kongwak-Inverloch is a better riding road than the Bass Highway if you have the time. Coming back, the Wonthaggi-Loch road is also good but you miss the scenery at Kilcunda.