Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Ghost Lines

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by RobE, Jun 22, 2010.

1. When it is dark and wet you really need the line marking to guide you through a complicated section of road. Particularly where there is extensive road work going on and the lanes are being changed.

But that is not what happens. When it is dark and wet the spectre of every line that was ever painted on that road and then blacked over shows up as a shiny patch; looking just like the white lines.

This is bad enough in a car. But for a rider it is even harder to guess which is the dinkum track to follow. And your visor is wet. And there is a car up your clacker.

There has to be a better way for the road builders to cover up redundant lines.

Maybe they could seal over a larger, irregular area than just the exact rectangle than is being painted out?
  2. Even good white lines tend disappear in the wet. In NSW we used to have more yellow lines, which were much better in the wet. I'd like to know why we went away from them.
  3. Yellow pain costs more then white and money > road safety.
  4. Sometimes they black over them, others they grind them off. Either way it's still hard to read them. That's why I like fog/driving lights - makes it a bit easier to see the lines without reflecting off the water as much. On my list of things to get - nerf bars with lights.
  5. Agree. A while back a local intersection was getting changed. The lanes got rerouted 3 times, they just painted black over the old ones. Every single time it rained, all three sets were completely visible, it was mayhem.
  6. So what you would like them to do, is their job properly.

Ain't gonna happen I'm afraid. They could'nt care less.
  7. Spot on Rob. it would never occur to me to bring it up because you just learn to live with it but it's a bloody nightmare. confusing, messy and dangerous. worthy of a petition, a letter to the local member or maybe getting the MRAA involved.
  8. It's not likely that much will be done to fix this, so my strategy in these situations is to forget about the lines and concentrate solely on what other vehicles are doing.
    After all, they can't see any better than you and the goal of the exercise is to avoid them, even if they do wander over the lines. It does mean lifting your awareness to the highest level, though.
    (Kinda like driving in Asia - no rules but survival)