Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Getting your license in WA

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by newbieWA, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Ok,

I've left VIC and now guess cannot get a vic license. Now that I am in WA, I tried to research the process for getting my first License. Apparently it's easier to get a License in WA? Lack of proper public transport & parking means that I need to get a bike.

I've worked-out that I need a RE license. This, however, seems to involve a practical test. How do I practice before getting this License? That is what(if any) License do I need? I have full (Victorian) car license. Is there someone like HART providing learners' lessons?

Thanks for our help.

2. It's the same as getting a car licence. Go to www.dpi.wa.gov.au

You need to go to a Licencing Centre (where do you live? I'll tll you your nearest one) to get a learners permit, which involves sitting a theory test. Then, organise some lessons! www.alertmotorcycleschool.com are where I went. They're fantastic. They're in Bayswater, about a 5 to 10 minute walk from the Bayswater train station on the Midland train line.

You go for enough lessons until you and they feel you're ready for your test, then you book that through a licensing centre. If you pass, you will get your 250cc license immediately. To get your unrestricted licence, you must get your R class learners permit, then have lessons on a bigger bike (Alert do that too. They have 250 and 600cc bikes), and then a year after you get your R-E licence you can sit your unrestricted test.

(regarding public transport, PM me what area you live in, and what areas you go to. Perth actually has a better PT system than most people think ;) I'll tell you the tricks)
  3. It is essential to take lessons from a professional instructor. The practical test although short is full of irrelevant stuff on which they will fail you. You will be required to do a feet up u-turn in less than 6 metres although the road I was taken to was 5 and on a hill. Other ways to stuff up are putting the bike in neutral at any time or putting your right foot down when stopped.
  4. I have never sat on a bike. How many lessons would it take (i know - till I'm confortable; just need it for budget purposes).

Also, what would be a good bike, considering I'd be wanting to upgrade to a CBR600 in a year (always had a soft spot for that bike + I've heard tyres on a 250cc are narrow - not much grip, harder in the wet...etc). I'd want it to be cheap. I am reading other posts :)

Should I get a race-rep bike like CBR250RR (or the new Ninja 250) or naked bike like a VTR? I know one is high revving and other is not - makes it harder for a learner?
  5. The Ninja 250 and VTR are twins, which have a stronger low/midrange performance but don't rev out as high as an inline 4.

They have a bit less power at the top end, but because they don't have to have their necks wrung as hard to reach the meaty part of the engine's torque band, they tend to be easier/lazier to ride, particularly around urban areas.

The CBR250RR, Hornet 250, ZX2R, etc are inline 4s which don't really 'go' until past 10,000rpm, peak power's closer to 14,000... Weaker low/midrange, stronger top-end power. Need to 'keep the engine on the boil' if you want good acceleration.

It can be fun to wring the neck of a high-revving bike, but it can also be frustrating to have to wring the neck of the bike all the time, particularly if you're commuting in heavy traffic and just want to get home.

The two big advantages of a naked bike over a fully-faired one are that naked bikes tend to have wider handlebars and behave better in the city. Lots of steering angle, lighter weight, upright seating position.

They're also a lot cheaper to insure because there are no expensive fairings to damage if they fall on their sides.

On the other hand, fully-faired bikes tend to be more comfortable at freeway speeds, and may (or may not) look better. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, afterall. :)