Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Getting your licence

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Pono, May 26, 2008.

1. I'm in a bit of trouble. I need/want to get my motorcycle licence asap, but the only thing is i dont hasve anyone to ride with, although both my parents have their licence they dont have bikes. So i am finding it hard to practice, and im not to keen on forking out bucket loads of cash for lesson etc. Any ideas on how i can practice and get my licence quicker?

2. pick up an old (ie - before the eXtreme marketers put a Z or an X in the model number) 125/250 thumper, a $50 only-been-dropped-once dirtbike helmet and go dunebashing... :cool:

3. Gotta say it, but I'm not an advocate of learners getting onto a bike before getting some onroad experience in a car.

The thing is, brand new learners have to deal with two aspects to learning:
    1. Coming to grips with traffic and all the BS that goes with it.
    2. Getting their heads around the handling of a bike, its ability to put them in precarious situations wayyy more often than in a car.

My point is, the odds are against you when you are new to traffic and new to the bike. I was driving a car at fifteen. How I am riding a bike at 39 for the first time and all I have to do is learn how to handle it. Reading the road is automatic to me and it comes without effort.

But, if you are gonna get a bike, get something reliable and something you enjoy riding. Do a LOT of research. I initially wanted to get a scooter, with ideas of ultra cheap transport, etc. I must have gone over every available option and I ended up getting a CBR250RR... completely different from the idea I first started with.

It cost me $4300 and I've spent $500 on replacing the rec/reg, battery and labour. I also had it serviced and replaced the rear tyre. That was seven months ago. The bike is fantastic to learn on if you are interested in supersport bikes. It's very nimble and gives heaps of feedback.

I'm now about to replace both front and back tyres. Not because they're worn too much, but because I want better tyres that stick and provide more feedback as I learn to lean it more and take corners more smoothly.

When you get your bike, you'll probably have to do the L course. In the ACT it is mandatory to do the course to get your Ls, hence it is subsidised by the Government. It is two half days and at the end of it you get your Ls. However, in your case, you'll probably have to do a written exam as well, because you are new to the road. I already had my bike and then spent time in some car parks across the road.

I slowly increased my confidence and ventured further and further. Doesn't take long to get on the road and amongst the traffic, at least for someone who has years of driving experience.
  4. Ok the problem with asking that question on this forum is that almost every one is from the eastern states and they all have vastly different systems to what us perthies have to endure.

What I am doing atm is I purchased a bike, and I am cruising along back streets with it and practicing my turns and my braking. But I would suggest forking out some cash for some lessons first so you know what your practicing.

Where abouts in perth do you live just out of curiosity?
  5. I have been driving cars since i was 13, and on the roads sinve i was 16, so none of that is new. I have raced downhill riding, and done trials, and curently doing road racing. So my knowledge and skills nof push bikes are pretty high. So i am not new to bikes, partially new to motorbikes, but already an handle one well.

And i live near fremantle
  6. If you allready have your car license then you should be ok as far as experience on the road, so like I said before, get yourself a bike and start cruising the back streets where it is real quiet and get your confidence up. That is if your parent are ok with this :p. If you are feeling ballsy you can ride it any where you want but just remember if you have any kind of dingle or accident your fcuked in more ways than one.

Confidence is the main thing, if you ride your bike as if your ment to be on the road I doubt you will even get a second glance by the cops, as long as your sensible about it.

But yeah unfortunately for us over here in WA we arent allowed to ride alone on our Ls and it sucks BIG TIME, cos unless we know someone who has had their license for 4 years and is willing to ride with you it costs us $60 an hour to get any kind of experience at all legally :(
  7. Lessons from a professional are essential if you want any chance of passing the test. The waiting list for tests in Perth is now in the order of months (I had to wait 5 months) so you've got plenty of time to get it right. If you stuff it up, it's another monster wait for another test. Spend the cash, it's an investment.
  8. Why are you asking how you can get practice if you say you already know how to ride? are you just looking for someone in your area to go riding with?