Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Getting your learners

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by arlennnn, May 2, 2012.

1. Hi Guys!

My first post here so be nice! I must say reading through Netrider has been awesome! gotten me super siked on getting on a bike!!
    So anyway, looking at going for my L's soon, was thinking of just doing the Training and Testing session at DECA in Carrum downs. But then I noticed the Introductory course.

For a bit of a background my riding experience only extends to A quad bike (which I've been riding for years, manual and auto clutch), an old postie bike and riding around on scooters in asia.

Now my question is would I need to take the intro course? As a bit of it looks at the basic stuff which I already know. My only worry is that I'm not use to using a clutch on a bike. I don't wanna be having to be spending an extra 70-100 bucks if i don't need to :angel:

anyways thanks in advance!

2. I did an introductory course to see if it was something I wanted to go on with. It probably isn't really necessary.

ETA: Oh, and welcome to Netrider BTW. Heaps of great stuff on here.
  3. Yes. Do it all.

The people in my course who had dirt bike quad bike experience took longer than those of us with no experience at all, as they had to un-learn old habits.

You can't have too much training anyhow.
  4. Awesome, thanks for the feedback guys! :)

just wondering if someone could shed a little light for me. In terms of the session I'm going to (hopefully) be booking for, it's 8 hours, and states that I'll be doing riding in the morning and then the riding test. Are they simply teaching us how to do basic things like turning and braking, or would this include an introduction to using a clutch and changing gears with a clutch as well?

sorry for all the questions, just a little nervous. (Well thats a lie, I'm completely nervous!! :cry: )
  5. Yes you will be taught to change gear, might make it as far as 3rd but probably mostly 1st & 2nd.
  6. Welcome to NR . Enjoy the ride
  7. Thanks for all the replies guys! Can't wait to finally get my license! :) will let you all know how I go!
  8. haha I have to admit when I was typing that, I had no clue how to spell it and wanted to look it up, but decided not to ](*,) I was hoping no one would notice, I swear my English is normally a lot better! :-w
  9. If you're nervous about changing gears etc, Google it. I did, and it made a lot of sense after that. I had NO idea before that.
  10. Yeah I think I might youtube it, just to get a bit of understanding.
    I've been driving a manual car for 3 years which means I understand gears, and clutches and friction points.
    Just I'm use to a pedal not levers!
    Oh well, I'll just think positive and see how I go [-o<
  11. An introductory course is good if you need some time on a bike to get used to things..basically you just practice the basics...ride around get comfortable.. if you need the extra help its probably best you do it.

At the end of the day.. getting your motorbike license,bike and gear isn't cheap.. and you don't want to be cheap.

If you feel like you know what you're doing and understand how the bike works.. don't bother, there is plenty of information online.. whether its here or on youtube.

Welcome to the forums and good luck!
  12. I never did a pre-learner, so I can't say how much you'll get out of it. I first learnt to ride on little manual but clutchless hondas and yamahas in Vietnam.

It's probably a good idea to do it, but once I decided to get my learners, I was confident I could control a bike and change gears, and was too impatient to have to wait to book in an extra session.
  13. The pre-learner course is fun!

It will start off slow with learning balance, pushing bikes and being pushed along with no engine running, but it's good to build up slow and before you know it you'll be starting the engine and learning to get moving.

By the end of the second day you'll be doing laps, leaning over and changing gears - a good feeling for a noob!
  14. I think the answer is how the hell would we know.

Some people are naturals and some aren't. If you are a natural then you will save money not doing a course to learn somethig you will do intuitively. If you aren't you will waste your test fee failing and have to re pay it and possibly a course fee anyway.

Your call. If you think you can do it, go for it.
  15. my DECA learners was so basic that in all seriousness, any person of any age big enough to reach the controls could pass if they weren't drunk.

i'm talking children

the course should have far more preparation and training for real world road riding.
    the P's course is slightly better, and more advanced.
    i think the P's course should be the L's course

staying safe is discipline, skill (experience), and a pinch of luck.
    stay disciplined at least until you learn some skills, never use your luck.
  16. I felt qualified to ride around a car-park, after getting my Ls... because that's really all it is.
  17. Yeah I have heard a few of the tests were very basic. I'll be definitely doing an advanced rider course when I can though.
  18. #19 OzzyDevil, May 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    Yeah I know mine was the same anyone could have past the test :)
  19. Well I bit the bullet and opted to go for the 8 hour Learner training and testing session at DECA. Was going to do it with ridetek, but DECA is right down the road for me so much more convenient.

So I guess just wish me luck now! :eek:hno:-(-o<