Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Getting XT600 going after 5 years...

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by robbieb, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Right, so a mate has a 91 Yamaha XT600E that he has had sitting in his garage for 5 years. He says he used to start it up every so often but possibly not in the last 2 - 3 years, as he's got busy having kids with his wife. He never prepared it properly for storage as I guess he never thought he was just going to stop riding.
    Anyway, anyone got any tips or point to a post I failed to find in my attempted search of this site for getting it going?
    All I can think of is:
    Drain stale fuel
    Drain and replace oil
    Get a new battery
    Check air filter
    Lube up the chain and pivot points
    Check the spark plugs?
    If it goes, warm it up and change the oil & filter
    Anything else, potential problems, things to consider?

2. Get a new spark plug and also drain the float bowl.

And maybe just try charging the old battery first.

I'd get a can of "Start ya Bastard", but don't hear too many compliments about it.

Once going, then you've got fork oil/seals to change and check pads/discs.

Hopefully the electrics are in OK shape for you as well
  3. I would go straight for the start you bastard, then if it still runs, change the oil/filters. then the rest like fork oil/seals etc.
  4. Before doing anything be sure to check the tank for rust - quite likely there'll be some and if you try running the bike it'll just choke the fuel filter and carbs (if they're not already full of crud).
    Otherwise your checklist looks good if you include the other stuff mentioned. I'd also change the brake fluid and check all the hoses to make sure they haven't gone brittle.
  5. Tried charging the battery, but she's cactus. Won't hold charge anymore, but haven't checked electrolyte level to see if is low. Seems a bit tricky to get into, not the usual caps. A new battery should quickly show if the electrics are still good.

From what I have seen of the tank it seems perfect, no signs of blistering paint outside or anything noticable inside through the fuel cap. More thorough check might be needed, but it has been in a pretty dry dark spot from what I can tell.

Anyone got a rough idea of how much this is likely to cost?
  6. Depends on whether you just want to get it running or whether you want to get it into good condition.

To give a very rough idea:
  7. Thanks JD. Well I guess the idea would be to get it to roadworthy stage. Things beyond that would just be cosmetic.

This is the bike:

You can see the battery bottom left, black plastic.

Couple of missing plastics. Have read that these were quite flimsy and easy to crack. I asked him if he still had the bits, he doesn't know.
  8. Looks pretty good. Doesn't take too much to get a bike RW simply because a roadworthy really doesn't check much - that's why it shouldn't be assumed that bike is safe to ride just because it has a RWC.
    Still the stuff already mentioned should be enough to ensure it's safe and shouldn't cost much - besides they're mostly all regular service items anyway so they'd all need to be done eventually. Even batteries only have a finite life. Would be worth checking though if there's a sealed type suitable for that bike since they do tend to last a lot longer (and are maintainance free).
  9. That actually is a sealed battery that was in it, but it was let go flat and sat for too long. Managed to find a service manual too, so should help a bit, even if it is for the previous year, and is from the USA, so hopefully the Aus & US models were the same
  10. Update time,

Finally got around to having a look at this bike.
    We went to take out the spark plug, to check the gap and condition and spray a bit of WD-40 down the bore. Felt down around the spark plug with fingers and could feel a small rock or pebble next to the plug. Not sure whether it had flicked up off road years ago or had been helpfully placed by one of his kids who were "assisting" us when our backs were turned. Didn't want to remove plug and get said rock in bore, so tried vacuum cleaner, screwdriver, pliers, fingers to remove it, but after about an hour of mucking around it disappeared.... Weren't sure where to, and couldn't see it in the mirror we were using to peer down there. We decided to just leave the plug alone, and set about draining the fuel. This took a little while and a rock or two and a couple of lemons were added to the cocktail by his kids. Must have been about 4-5 litres of fuel in the bucket. Drained the carbie. Dash of new fuel, new battery, cranked it over several times and she fired, then started. Ran beautifully.

Does anyone remove the spark plug without taking off the fuel tank? What do you use to clear out around the plug, compressed air? Rag?
    A compressor with a nozzle on it would have been handy, or a smaller tube to hook up to the vacuum cleaner.

Anyway, I hope to do some more checks and take it for a ride, then buy it off him :grin: