Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Getting up to speed on roundabouts

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by the_blacke, Feb 25, 2009.

1. I've pulled this quote from a different thread that I just didn't want to wade in to ...

When I read that, I suddenly felt ill because I knew that I've been taking roundabouts at 25 that I would have taken at 45 in the car.

So what tips do folks have on taking roundabouts at a pace that is more in keeping with the flow of the traffic? Right now (2 1/2 weeks on the road) I find roundabouts very intimidating, especially if I am turning right, and doubly so if I've had to stop at the round about and then I enter it with the intention to turn (either left or right doesn't seem to matter, I still wind up taking it in first gear).

Help, anyone?

2. slow down before it so whoevers behind you does so also.

take it at your pace, you'll get quicker. if you get pushed to go quicker, you have more chance of messing up.

as i was told, ride your own ride, within YOUR limits :)
  3. Only 2 1/2 weeks riding?

Mate I think your stressing about nothing, all you need is more practice.

Few repetitive lines but.. look through the corner, to where you want to go. And another, slow in fast out, in other words, always set your entry speed to a corner (roundabout in this case) at a speed which you are comfortable, the slowly wind on the throttle as you go though increasing your mid corner and exit speed.

Now get out and practice, I think you will find that is all you need.
  4. Just take it slowly. What's the rush? Take them at 25, and if that's too fast, then slow down.

BTW I really hope you aren't turning right at round abouts at 45 kmph. It's not a competition.
  5. Don't worry, you'll get better. I've reached the point now where for some roundabouts, I don't even bother downshifting from sixth (assuming I can glide through).

Despite this, casually I still tend to take roundabouts faster in a car.
  6. Living in Canberra, roundabout are about the only interesting thing to do. 45kph would be getting off and walking the bike around some of the mofo's we have here. :LOL: :cool:
  7. Roundabouts.

Because boots without a chamfer make the baby Jesus cry :twisted: .
  8. Find a quiet spot with some roundabouts to do some practise on. Taking them in first isn't really advisable, any throttle inputs are magnified due to the low gearing and can sap your confidence further.

The reason for my comment in the other thread is that on a busier roundabout, people come to expect vehicles to travel at a certain speed and time their entrance or exit from the roundabout around that. We all would have seen it and if you ahve a vehicle that travels significantly faster or slower than the remainder of the traffic you can have close calls.

As others have said though, practise. With practise comes confidence and when you're confident you'll stop worrying about the roundabout and have more concentration to allocate to watching what everyone else is up to.
  9. ask the thrusday night mystery roundabout jumper :rofl:
  10. anyone pick on you .. just give them a nude on the door panel
  11. Don't be too set on going faster through or around roundabouts. Especially ones near service stations. Oil and diesel do not make a good surface for a bike tyre on a lean.

You will become more comfortable with them with experience, but 'ride to the conditions' should be foremost in your mind.

Take it slow as needed, so what if you hold up traffic.

+1 to Blaringmike, there are some big ass roundabouts in Canberra and a lot of cagers tend to straight line them. :evil:
  12. To be honest I've never looked at my speedometer whilst negotiating a roundabout.. like Why would You ??? Your eyes are better served looking through the roundabout.
    Ride at a speed you are comfotable with, use your eyes quickly to asess the traffic & road conditions, & look where you want to go. If you feel you are going too slow, that will correct itself with practice.
  13. why not find a relatively quiet roundabout in your area and just keep practicing turning/U turns. If there are two in a straight line a short distance apart it is perfect, just do laps.
  14. Cheesus, mate...forget that quote...it's just plain wrong.

...go thorugh a roundabout at a safe speed FOR YOU, given your ability. Does'nt matter if that's 10, 20 or 40k's.
    Choose your own pace - righto.

15. John, have to disagree with you, partly.

It is sensible to go travel at a speed that you are comfortable at. The big BUT is that it ought to be an appropriate speed for the surrounding traffic as well. You would know that when you have significant speed differences in vehicles that it makes things dangerous as, in the case of a significantly slower vehicle, you have people jumping on the brakes, chopping and changing lanes or just getting impatient.

All this is important to travelling safely. It does not take long for any of us to see the near misses etc. that happen on roundabouts if we sat and watched for 5 minutes. You can pick the effects of vehicles that are travelling well above or below the average speed on the intersection and we all know that intersections are a dangerous place as far as collisions go.
  16. Stop worrying about it mate, the main thing is to relax and take things at your own pace. Just before you enter the roundabout do a quick mirror check to see if there's a car flying up to you at the speed of sound and if there isn't, take it at your normal pace, if there is, then push it a bit. Most of the time you will find you don't have the zooming idjit behind you so you won't have to worry.

Roundabouts are ghey though so i might suggest some late night practice on an empty one.

The main thing is to keep yourself relaxed and thinking about what you're meant to be doing. You don't want your muscles tensing up and you panicking mid-corner.