Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

getting the full licence in Vic

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by marti_, Jan 7, 2007.

1. Hey peoples,

Was thinking about going for my full bike license sometime in the next month or so at HART in melbourne east. A couple of questions for those who have done the course before:

1) I found the learners course to be pretty easy. in comparison how hard is the full license course?

2) Anyone got any advice on some things to practice before going for the test? I practice swerving from things on the road occasionally when there is no one around. Is that about it?

Any advice welcome :grin:

Cheers,

Marti

2. I had to renew my full license last July after a break from riding, and did it at HART Tullamarine. I did the Learners then full license test within days of each other. They are both easy.

The license test is pretty much like the Learners. Swerve Left/Right or Stop, Indicating and turning between lines, stopping in a box or at a line. There is a start from stopped position, accelerate up to speed, then turn between lines, which from memory you do three times. That is different to the learners. Hmm, remembering which test was which is difficult.

Anyway, it is not hard, as long as you don't worry about it. Some people had lots of trouble because they were worrying. Just ride as you normally would, but keep it smooth. Actually, unless you fall off the points system means it's almost impossible to fail. In fact, if you deliberately stop at the left/right/stop lights every time, instead of swerving left/right or stopping as indicated, you can still pass points wise, but they will fail you for cheating!

Things to practise? Just get your confidence up riding in tight places. Do slow figure eights and circles at your local empty car park. Maybe smooth take offs up to 25kph. Of course, on the CB250s, that is pretty easy. You get practise time on the bike before the test. Use it well, to get comfortable on the bike.

I'd say good luck, but you wont need it.

3. G'day everyone.......

The full licence test involves a cornering test and the swerve/emergency stop test.
    The hardest would be the second because you cant anticypate whats comming up next.
    As long as you relax and just go through the motions as thay say,your reflexes will get you through.
    Remember at hart you will be practising the test for most of the day as well as rideing around doing cornering and other fun stuff.
    Have fun with it.
    And good luck.

Dr Who?

4. You can't do that, you must hold a learners for a minmum of 3 months before you can sit for a full licence in Victoria.

Marti, check out this site http://www.ridetek.com.au/licensetesting.htm and it will give you all the information you need to complete the test, my suggestion would be to practice the swerve and emergency braking, get someone to help you, they need to stand about 40metres away from you then you must be doing about 25km/h heading for the person, get them to put thier arm out for a left swerve or both arms out for emergency braking. Remember not to anticipate the swerve or emergency brake.

5. Unless you've previously held a full licence that has elapsed I would guess. He held his learner for 3mths, it was just before he got his licence in the first place.

6. Absolutely correct Triway. :cool:

7. thanks for the advice guys. sounds like its not as hard as i originally thought. will definately do some more swerving practice, braking and slow moving stuff.

hopefully I can book it in the next few weeks or so. I've had my Ls since August 06. already looking forward to an upgrade (will be a long years wait)... mmmmm 600cc

cheers