Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Getting the bike home

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Haggismaen, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Hey guys, hopefully will be buying a bike some time this week if all goes well. However the issue arises as to how I will actually get the bike to its new home. Sure as shit I'm not going to ride it home (I don't own a pair of brown trousers...and I might not have my riding gear anyhow).

As far as I can see I have four options:

a) Ask the seller if he would be kind enough to drop it off.
    b) Enlist the help of someone else to drop it off (no riding mates :cry:)
    c) See if I can find a mates car with a tow bar and rent a motorbike trailer from Kennards.
    d) Pay for a professional motorbike moving service ($$$?)

What do you guys think? Is there another option? What about possible issues (mainly legal) regarding for getting the seller/someone else to drop it off.

Greatly appreciate your input.
  2. Hi,
    Where are you located ? Where is the bike ?

I guess it the seller is nice they could drop it off and you drop them home, I have done that with a cage before, just signed the paperwork when they came round.

If you are planning this today, I have a ute and not much else to do
    <egiste curses stupid rain />
  3. Yeah you'll find a netrider or a mate to help out.

Personally I think you're being a big sooky la la. Get some gear and bloody ride the thing, that's what ya bought it for!

Bring the brown undies but just bloody do it. Go round and round the block til you feel like getting on the road home.
  4. If it's big, loud, fast and scary I'll ride it to your place....via Marysville.
    If it's a 250...um yeah good luck with that mate.

Got any friends with a ute? Most bikes will fit diagonally in a ute or twincab, if not do it lengthways and leave the tray down.
    Roadies are bastards to tie down though, especially faired. Can't use a fork brace so you often have to bottom the forks out. Not good for the seals.
  5. In Sydney it costs around $90 to transport a bike anywhere in the metro area via the professionals.

Otherwise offer up a carton of beer, someone here will prob pick it up for ya.
  6. Heh, first time on the new bike, first time riding since training course and you expect me to ride along Parramatta Road for the approx. 20km back to my place. I would _die_. Post-mortem on my corpse conducted by the coroner would reveal the first ever documented case of somebody actually shitting themselves to death. I would go down in history in medical text books everywhere.

Not to mention the number of other riders I would endanger when their tyres lose traction on the 20km shit streak left on the road.

Mmm $90 isn't too bad, any idea which company? (I have looked at the ones listed in the links directory but none give even a rough estimate of costs)

Thanks for the ideas so far, any tips or special requirements for tying a bike (in this case possibly a ZZR250, hopefully if the seller/inspection service are ever available) securely in a ute? (I assume it would be easier to do with a motorbike trailer)
  7. I'll do it for a case... So long as it's not a scoot...

From where? to Marrickville (I'm assuming)...
  8. www.motomotion.com.au
    Free call: 1300 66 34 18

$100 odd. Used them once when I couldn't get hold of anyone else.

Allwest Motorcycle Carriers
    Phone: 0296032979 or 0408248382 (Geoff)
    Fax: 0296032679
    Email: geoffallwest@bigpond.com
    Based in Campbelltown, NSW
    Approx $95 depending on distance

Phone: 1300722477 (24 hour hotline)
    Email: Info@Ezy-Movers.com.au
    Based in Sydney. 24 hours.
    $77 between 9am and 5pm
    $110 after 5pm

Ghost Riders Motorcycle Transporters
    Phone: 0428922700
    Based in Sydney
    $176 - for crash towing
    $88 to $99 - depending on situation (breakdown, accident, transporting, etc)
    (I've used them the most, 3 times)
  9. If you're insured, I'll happily ride it back for ya. What is it anyway?

But, if you offer to give the seller a lift home in the cage, pretty sure he'd drop it off for ya, just to clinch the sale.
  10. You can also try "Garry Palmer - Bike Mover" 9524 6223/0403 482 233.
  11. Haha, I had the same dilemma as this guy when I picked up my bike. I had to pick it up from across town ~45km's ... It was funny as riding it home after never riding on busy roads before.
  12. What better way to get to know your new bike?!?
    Ride it home...take it easy but ride it home.
    Ride it around the block a bit and thenr ride it home. :grin:
  13. Yeah, I had the same dilemna a few weeks ago. I ended up saying to myself, 'You're buying this to ride it, what better time to start...' I rode it home from Shalvey. I made sure it was in the evening, so not as much traffic, and I rode it around the block a few times to get some confidence. Was a nice ride home and was dripping in sweat, but was proud of myself for doing it. Gave me the confidence to keep on getting out there and learning. Get someone to follow you in a cage, if you can. They can provide you with a buffer from others. Don't know how the ride into Marrackville would be, though, but you will have to do it sooner or later.

Just my 2 cents worth is all.....
  14. Yep, do it. I picked up my first bike that way, a 25km ride through Sydney Rd, Melbourne on a wet wet day (5km's of shops, crappy drivers and tram lines) then through the city and out along Dandenong Road.
    Was shaking like a leaf by the time I got home, but I'd instantly got rid of a whole lot of mental blocks (wet weather, traffic, tram lines) and it made getting back on the bike so much easier.

Do it. If you can, get a more experienced rider to follow you to cover your arse and give you a bit more confidence and advice.
  15. How about picking it up late in teh evening for the ride home? No peak hour traffic.

Regards, Andrew.
  16. Insure it ,and ride it home :grin: :grin: Dont let gremlins in your head they are a biatch to get out :shock:
  17. Thats not the attatude friend :shock: , I to had not riden since my "L's" test 3 weeks before i picked up my new bike from the city some 25 km from my house (only had 2 kilometers on the clock) and i was pooping myself but you just have to grab the bull by the horns, have confidence in yourself (not the "look out rossi, here i come " type, but the i can do this type).
    Get your gear and ride the thing home, you will have so much fun (you may suffer a bruised arse due to clenching it for 20Km) ;)
  18. I feel for you - I faced the same problem with my first bike. Being a cheap-skate I didn't even consider professional moving service, I just gritted my teeth and rode it!
    If you're getting it from a private seller, try to talk them into delivering it for you - offer a lift back home in a car, even offer to pay for a cab - it will probably be still cheaper than a moving service.
    Good luck!
  19. Grab some gear, pick up the bike and ride around the block a few times before heading for home. Take your time and enjoy the ride! Youll be better for the experience :)
  20. You've had a few offers already. When you looking to do this? I am finishing a meeting in CBD around midday Thursday. PM if interested.